Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bottle Cage Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 06:16 AM
jetignacio

Bikes: Fausto Coppi and Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottle Cage Mount

Good day,

i have a cromo frame that has only one set of bottle cage mount and it’s located on the downtube. I usually see as two being one on the dt and one on the st. I guess when it was built it was ment to be that way. Does that mean anything? The only markings that I see in the frame is that both dropouts are campagnolo. Just wondering if that has anything to say about the frame. TIA
Old 06-01-20, 07:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by jetignacio
Good day,

i have a cromo frame that has only one set of bottle cage mount and it’s located on the downtube. I usually see as two being one on the dt and one on the st. I guess when it was built it was ment to be that way. Does that mean anything? The only markings that I see in the frame is that both dropouts are campagnolo. Just wondering if that has anything to say about the frame. TIA
It means you shouldn't go for a long ride on a hot day.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-01-20, 08:02 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Once upon a time, there weren't any mounts on bikes. We had to improvise.

I think I had one which mounted with metal straps.
Likes For BNSF:
Old 06-01-20, 08:25 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Maybe they were leaving space for a frame pump.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-01-20, 08:28 AM
jetignacio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Maybe they were leaving space for a frame pump.
Actually thats what I was thinking but I don’t see any pin like shape under the tt for the pump to hold.
Old 06-01-20, 02:36 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
No cage braze-ons, no brazed-on clip for my 1973 English frame. I tried to find an image of an 'umbrella clip' for, say, a Zefal HP pump, but didn't succeed. Trust me, you don't need braze-ons. Here are a couple of alternatives:

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product.../332-cagemount
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...093-versamount
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/anywhere/
Accessories | MINOURA JAPAN - the 'Bottle cage Holder' section
- or -, for something special -
https://www.ebay.ca/i/193023912757
Old 06-01-20, 02:40 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
The seat tube on small frames may be too short to hold a water bottle. This is exacerbated by modern, sloping top tube designs that result in a short seat tube.

If not, you can use clamps to attach a bottle cage to the seat tube or handlebars, and other mounts are available to hold bottles behind the saddle. Or a "camelback" bladder you can wear like a backpack.

In short, there are options for you to easily carry more water.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-01-20, 02:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Up to the early/mid '70s, few bikes had braze-on cage bosses and only on the DT. (There were exceptions with SR bosses, but not many.) From there to the early '80s, almost all (higher end) bikes had DT bosses and many had ST bosses.

Around mid-'70s was when top tube pump locations became popular and headtube braze-on pump pegs started appearing.. Before that it was seat tube if the bike had a DT cage boss and DT if it didn't. I raced a 1976 Fuji Pro with just DT bosses. Clamped on a ST cage and used a pump peg on the top tube.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-01-20, 02:51 PM
jetignacio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. Actually, I was just wondering why some frame builders decide to put just one set of mounts. Like, was there an era of frames that was produced that way, or maybe it distinguishes a frame when say if it has only one set it’s was made by a certain framebuilder of that sort or if it has two sets then it was maybe made by that framebuilder? Hope it makes sense. Ty
Old 06-01-20, 02:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
No cage braze-ons, no brazed-on clip for my 1973 English frame. I tried to find an image of an 'umbrella clip' for, say, a Zefal HP pump, but didn't succeed. Trust me, you don't need braze-ons. Here are a couple of alternatives:

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product.../332-cagemount
https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...093-versamount
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/anywhere/
Accessories | MINOURA JAPAN - the 'Bottle cage Holder' section
- or -, for something special -
https://www.ebay.ca/i/193023912757
I think I saw an umbrella clip on the Zephal website the other day. Try the source. (A lot of the good French stuff was and is made long after the US market goes elsewhere.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-01-20, 02:56 PM
jetignacio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Up to the early/mid '70s, few bikes had braze-on cage bosses and only on the DT. (There were exceptions with SR bosses, but not many.) From there to the early '80s, almost all (higher end) bikes had DT bosses and many had ST bosses.

Around mid-'70s was when top tube pump locations became popular and headtube braze-on pump pegs started appearing.. Before that it was seat tube if the bike had a DT cage boss and DT if it didn't. I raced a 1976 Fuji Pro with just DT bosses. Clamped on a ST cage and used a pump peg on the top tube.

Ben
I see, so meaning this frame that I have belongs to the early 70’s era of frames. Good to know that. Thanks for the inputs!
Old 06-01-20, 04:11 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
IDK ... I would read that to mean your bike is likely not to be early to mid '70s. It was later that braze-ons became common. Those (early-mid-'70s) were bike boom years, when factories needed to get as many frames built as possible in as short an amount of time as possible. It take time to do braze-ons.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-01-20, 06:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jetignacio
I see, so meaning this frame that I have belongs to the early 70’s era of frames. Good to know that. Thanks for the inputs!
Not necessarily. I have a 1985 Miyata Seven Ten that has double butted tubes and only the braze-on water bottle mount on the downtube. Apparently the next year, 1986, saw them go to triple butted tubes and an extra bottle braze-ons on the seattube.

Cheers
Old 06-01-20, 06:21 PM
jetignacio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Not necessarily. I have a 1985 Miyata Seven Ten that has double butted tubes and only the braze-on water bottle mount on the downtube. Apparently the next year, 1986, saw them go to triple butted tubes and an extra bottle braze-ons on the seattube.

Cheers
I see, so it depends really on the frame makers. Mine has no markings, I only see the Campy marks on rear and front dropouts.
Old 06-01-20, 06:29 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

If you want a better idea as to what it is you can ask over on Classic & Vintage. Images taken from the drive side and of the components, plus knowing the diameter of the seatpost really help people identify classic/vintage bikes and they enjoy the challenge. Also, a serial number can helf identify a bike and tell you when it was made.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-01-20, 07:05 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
If you're looking, here are a couple:

Twofish Unlimited - Bicycle Accessory Fasteners
Likes For rollagain:
Old 06-01-20, 08:54 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I thought braze-ons in the early days used to be only on the DT because drinking wasn't taken that seriously. Sort of like if you watch pro tenis from those early years, players didn't have towels to wipe off sweat after just about every point. They weren't wussies LOL

Also some folks spend unconscionable amount of money to shave off few grams off their bike only to put second bottle of water on it.
Likes For vane171:
Old 06-01-20, 09:16 PM
Miele Man

Another way to get another bottle mount onto a bicycle on the seattube is to install a couple of Rivnuts or similar things. They look a lot like a pop-rivet but without the metal rod in the rivet and the Rivnut is thread for an M5 bolt.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 06-02-20, 05:58 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
IDK ... I would read that to mean your bike is likely not to be early to mid '70s. It was later that braze-ons became common. Those (early-mid-'70s) were bike boom years, when factories needed to get as many frames built as possible in as short an amount of time as possible. It take time to do braze-ons.
Also, I'd assume the transition era from no braze-ons to one braze-on to two braze-ons was spread over many years. Just like cupholders in cars: used to be there weren't any. Then some models had a single cupholder. Then two cupholders, Now its hard to find a car with less than a dozen...
Old 06-02-20, 03:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a long stroke frame fit tire pump inside the main triangle was a common thing, in front of the seat tube, parallel to it..
Wolf tooth company makes a thing to put 2 side by side, if you need 2,., https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...s/b-rad-system

You can also get a Liter sized waterbottle..

///

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-02-20 at 03:35 PM.