Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

26" road tire decisions,please help.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-16-20, 05:13 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts

I have a 2012 Surly LHT that came with Continental TourRide 26X1.75 tires. I liked them pretty well for the road but they sucked on the dirt roads my wife prefers to ride on, so I put some cheap Schwalby Black Jack 2.1's on it for the dirt roads. Much better on dirt and gravel but very hard to do any distance on the road. I need advice because I live in a rural area where county roads have been patched multiple times and weren't that smooth to begin with. The 2.1's really smooth out my rough county roads but I can really feel the difference between their rolling resistance and the resistance of the 1.75's.

I was about to put the 1.75's back on but wanted to know if there were any good options in a 26" tire that would make my LHT faster on the road then the 1.75 Tour Ride tires but still give decent cushion to rough pavement. I weigh 175 and if I get another set of tires they will only be for unloaded pleasure rides.
Old 06-16-20, 07:00 AM
Bertrand Boxest

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Mmmmh interesting but i cant help you
Old 06-16-20, 07:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass or Naches Pass.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-16-20, 10:52 AM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
I have a 2012 Surly LHT that came with Continental TourRide 26X1.75 tires. I liked them pretty well for the road but they sucked on the dirt roads my wife prefers to ride on, so I put some cheap Schwalby Black Jack 2.1's on it for the dirt roads. Much better on dirt and gravel but very hard to do any distance on the road. I need advice because I live in a rural area where county roads have been patched multiple times and weren't that smooth to begin with. The 2.1's really smooth out my rough county roads but I can really feel the difference between their rolling resistance and the resistance of the 1.75's.

I was about to put the 1.75's back on but wanted to know if there were any good options in a 26" tire that would make my LHT faster on the road then the 1.75 Tour Ride tires but still give decent cushion to rough pavement. I weigh 175 and if I get another set of tires they will only be for unloaded pleasure rides.
Just to make sure we are on the same page, you are trying to improve performance on smooth and rough (paved) country roads and do not care about the dirt and gravel that you mentioned?

My experience with 26 inch. Fat 2.0 is cushy, but slow. Skinny 1.25 is fast, okay on rough paved road. Medium 1.5 is slightly slower and cushier, but good on rough paved road.

For 700c, 32mm is comfortable rough paved road.

If your frame clearance is enough i would say go for 700x32 or 35mm. If you want to stay with 26, go for 26x1.5.

I was 72kg when i used the 26x1.25, am 80kg when i use the 700x32.

Tread design choose something slick, something like Panaracer T Serv or Pasela, Maxxis Detonator, Kenda K193 etc.
Old 06-16-20, 11:34 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
RH are the best, but Paselas are acceptable an a lot less expensive. There used to be a lot of good options for 26" but hardly any now that size is out of fashion.
Old 06-16-20, 11:50 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
As was mentioned above..are you looking to ride more dirt than road, or more road that dirt? I've been looking into 26 inch options quite a bit lately. A lot of tires are no longer offered, but there are still some good tires out there.

Also, what's the narrowest tire you want to go with..1.75"? or 2"?, or 1.5"? and how much$ are you looking to spend per tire?
Old 06-16-20, 11:59 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
I'd like to echo kingston

If I'm not mistaken the Rene Hearse are actually manufactured by Pasela. So all things being equal, why all the extra $$$ for what is effectively the same tire?

As far as road tires: I've run 559x28 Continental Gatorskin. They're like rolling on garden hose, but are indestructable.

From there, I went with 559x32 Pasela's & at 40psi I got a pinch flat the first time I encountered railroad ballast, & later got a sidewall cut when I had higher pressure. But they transformed the entire bike & rolled really well. So, I moved up to Pasela 559x42 (26x1.75) & have been really pleased.

The Pasela 559x42 so far have 300+ gravel, unpaved, & rocky forest service roads on them in the last 2 weeks. (Including a gravel century) And many, many more regular paved road miles in the last month or so. I did get a single pinch flat on the rear because of a large rock I didn't see in the dark & that is hardly the tire's fault. Being at 40psi didn't help either & the blame lands squarely on me for that.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with Pasela.
I may move to the next size larger in the future, but I too would not want to risk losing road speed. Having said that, the 42's at 50psi don't seem to slow me down noticably.

Last edited by base2; 06-16-20 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 12:11 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I have paselas 26x1.75 and compared to some other brands they are light and roll fast. RH may be better but you pay a premium and they won't last as long.

To me it depends on whether it's a daily/regular rider or an occasional activity specific bike. For the latter, the RH's may last well enough to justify the cost.
Old 06-16-20, 12:36 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
As was mentioned above..are you looking to ride more dirt than road, or more road that dirt? I've been looking into 26 inch options quite a bit lately. A lot of tires are no longer offered, but there are still some good tires out there.

Also, what's the narrowest tire you want to go with..1.75"? or 2"?, or 1.5"? and how much$ are you looking to spend per tire?
Sorry guys. If I buy a new set ,they will be for paved only, not dirt or gravel. I will continue to use the Black Jack 2.1's for dirt. They aren't hard to change at all. I'm getting my MTB set back up for dirt though, I just have had repairs done.
The new tires will be for the roads in rural Alabama which means bumpy as hell. I won't ride the rutted out pot hole filled roads but all the others have been filled and patched so often as to give you a pretty good beating. I've hit smooth humps in the road going fast enough to jump the chain from my front to middle ring on landing.

I do also however have a steel frame road bike set up as a cycle cross bike with 30mm CX tires. It handles those rough roads ok but not as smooth and in controlled feeling as when riding the Trucker with either the 1.75 CT's or 2.1 BJ's.
Old 06-16-20, 01:32 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by base2
I'd like to echo kingston
If I'm not mistaken the Rene Hearse are actually manufactured by Pasela.
Actually, the the Paselas and all the RH tires are made by Panaracer.

So all things being equal, why all the extra $$$ for what is effectively the same tire?
Because all things are NOT equal. These are completely different tires. Just because two things are made by the same manufacturer does not mean they are effectively the same thing. Are Tourney and Dura Ace components essentially the same thing just because they are both made by Shimano?

I'm not knocking Paselas, they are a great tire for the price, and might be more appropriate for the budget (I don't know what this is for the OP). I am considering a pair for my commuter, in fact.

For me personally, having ridden a number of Compass/RH tires in SL versions, I find them totally worth the premium. In my book, it has been the most meaningful and noticeable upgrade I have made on my road/gravel bikes, AND the best bang for the buck. They are ridiculously fast rolling, smooth as silk, and in the larger sizes handle dirt/gravel roads like a dream. I don't even think about switching tires to go from pavement to gravel rides. And contrary to what some people think, they do NOT wear out fast. The casing under the tread is actually respectably thick. Though the Paselas will probably last longer, and they are designed with that in mind.

But I agree that Paselas are also a solid recommendation. I am fully aware that the idea of spending $85 for a bicycle tire is madness to many.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-16-20, 03:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Actually, the the Paselas and all the RH tires are made by Panaracer.

Because all things are NOT equal. These are completely different tires. Just because two things are made by the same manufacturer does not mean they are effectively the same thing. Are Tourney and Dura Ace components essentially the same thing just because they are both made by Shimano?
Confirmation the Pasela's & RH are made by Panaracer is good. Belief & fact are 2 different things. I thought I knew. Now I know I know. Thanks.

Dura-Ace is made in Japan by Shimano in a Shimano factory by Shimano Japanese workers with corporate Japanese Shimano Executives walking around inspecting the production line regularly.

Tourney is made in all manner of emerging market factories with not nearly the same level of scrutiny to QC or visibility to corporate executives.

Agreed. Not all would be equal & such a statement is nonsense in the Shimano parallel.

Are Rene Hearse & Paselas made in the same factory by the same workers (==) or in different factories by different workers (=/=)? I genuinely would like to know.

BTW: Good catch on the Pasela, Panaracer typo. My brain knew that but my fingers didn't.
Old 06-16-20, 03:18 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Confirmation the Pasela's & RH are made by Panaracer is good. Belief & fact are 2 different things. I thought I knew. Now I know I know. Thanks.

Dura-Ace is made in Japan by Shimano in a Shimano factory by Shimano Japanese workers with corporate Japanese Shimano Executives walking around inspecting the production line regularly.

Tourney is made in all manner of emerging market factories with not nearly the same level of scrutiny to QC or visibility to corporate executives.

Agreed. Not all would be equal & such a statement is nonsense in the Shimano parallel.

Are Rene Hearse & Paselas made in the same factory by the same workers (==) or in different factories by different workers (=/=)? I genuinely would like to know.

BTW: Good catch on the Pasela, Panaracer typo. My brain knew that but my fingers didn't.
Even if they are made in the same factory by the same workers, the notion that they are in any way "effectively the same tire" is complete and utter nonsense.

Just holding each in your hand the difference is clear as day. Same with riding them.

They are not even intended for the same niche. The RH ELs are super lightweight, high performance road/gravel tires. The Paselas are geared more towards touring and commuting. Heavier, tougher tires.

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-16-20 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 03:31 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Even if they are made in the same factory by the same workers, the notion that they are in any way "effectively the same tire" is complete and utter nonsense.

Just holding each in your hand the difference is clear as day. Same with riding them.

They are not even intended for the same niche. The RH ELs are super lightweight, high performance road/gravel tires. The Paselas are geared more towards touring and commuting. Heavier, tougher tires.
Ok.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 06-16-20, 03:45 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

..If I buy a new set ,they will be for paved only, not dirt or gravel...
Take a look at the two threads below..they should give you some ideas:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-75-2-0-a.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...el-thread.html

From my research..way too many hours sifting through things here on BF and other places, I doubt you'll do better from a value/performance standpoint than Panaracer Paselas. 26x1.75 is as big as they get in terms of width..I wish they made a 2 incher.. Everybody that runs them seems to think highly of them. The Rene Herse tires are raved about by everyone. I haven't had the pleasure..but may pick some up if a new to me bike is a keeper..yet to be determined. Pricey, but I suspect they are worth the investment..thye look cool to.

I'll have to get back later with a few other options..about to head out for dinner. I was targeting tires at 1.75"and wider..so there may be some good 1.5's that I glossed over.

A couple nice tires that come to mind (again..great reviews by folks here) are the Kenda Kiniptions and Maxxis DTH. Both are said to roll very well on pavement or dirt..and look nice too. A good (sort of) rule of thumb is to look at tires with tpi at 60 or above.

One issue you may run into..as I've found out of the last few days...MANY tires that are popular are sold out..everywhere...unless you're willing to pay excessive prices and/or shipping.

Last edited by fishboat; 06-17-20 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-16-20, 03:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Ok.
Just so you don't think I am blowing hot air....

RH Naches Pass EL (26 x 1.8"):
Tubeless Compatible Bead
300g
90 tpi

Pasela 26 x1.75
Tube-only
490g
66tpi (at most)

Pasela Pro Tite 26 x 1.75
Tube-only
460g
66tpi (at most)

I don't think tpi is actually a great indicator of quality, just pointing out that they are spec'ing different casings.

Again, I'm not knocking the Paselas or disagreeing with their recommendation. I just want to clear up the mistake of equating them to RH tires.
Old 06-16-20, 03:58 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 719 Posts
The best of both worlds! I'm sure they are simply wonderful. https://www.retyre.co/go-modular/

Old 06-16-20, 04:00 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I have two 26” wheel sets for my late 80s MTB. One set has Compass (now RH) RTP. The other set has Continental Race King Protection tires. Both are awesome. As has been mentioned, the RTP are an amazing ride and very easy rolling. They do great on everything until it gets soft and slippery. Then they are a liability. Fantastic on all roads and on gravel.

The Race Kings are great, too. The newer style since a couple of years ago are even lower rolling resistance. There is surprisingly little difference from the RTP. Our rail trails are firmed up and only have soft spots for a day or so after the latest rain, but I still haven’t bothered to switch out the Race Kings for the RTPs this spring on dry days. Of course, the Race Kings have small knobs so they make a fair amount of noise on paved surfaces and they also have less grip on pavement than the smoother RTP. I have to watch out for that when braking.

Can’t really go wrong with either.

Otto
Old 06-16-20, 04:09 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts

I like these a lot for 2.1 slicks, they are fast, cheap, and fairly light; they work great on road and light offroad. For MTBs, I prefer these to skinny slicks as they keep the original ride height intact.
Old 06-16-20, 05:40 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Just so you don't think I am blowing hot air....

RH Naches Pass EL (26 x 1.8"):
Tubeless Compatible Bead
300g
90 tpi

Pasela 26 x1.75
Tube-only
490g
66tpi (at most)

Pasela Pro Tite 26 x 1.75
Tube-only
460g
66tpi (at most)

I don't think tpi is actually a great indicator of quality, just pointing out that they are spec'ing different casings.

Again, I'm not knocking the Paselas or disagreeing with their recommendation. I just want to clear up the mistake of equating them to RH tires.
Oh, no. You are a long lasting & respected member around here. I took no offense whatsoever & perceived no hot-air at all.

I hadn't realized the differences were so stark when you put them side by side like that. I'm plenty happy with the 559x42 Paselas, but in seeing the 90tpi casing & massive weight difference, I'll definitely have to give the RH some thought when the time comes to replace.

That's what I love about this forum. So much first hand experience no one person could ever do or know it all.

Thanks, actually.
Base2

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-16-20, 06:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Oh, no. You are a long lasting & respected member around here. I took no offense whatsoever & perceived no hot-air at all.

I hadn't realized the differences were so stark when you put them side by side like that. I'm plenty happy with the 559x42 Paselas, but in seeing the 90tpi casing & massive weight difference, I'll definitely have to give the RH some thought when the time comes to replace.

That's what I love about this forum. So much first hand experience no one person could ever do or know it all.

Thanks, actually.
Base2
Man, posts like this remind me how I should aspire to behave more often.
Thanks.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-16-20, 07:13 PM
fishboat

fwiw..interesting read.. RH on "tpi"

https://www.renehersecycles.com/tpi-...e-performance/
Old 06-16-20, 08:03 PM
fishboat

Other tires worth a look:
(My apologies for my lack of first-hand experience with any of these. I haven't been riding 26 inch tire-bikes in recent years. I have ridden Panaracer Comet Hardpacks..seem to be nice tires)

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...r/top-contact2

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...n-tour/contact

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi.../contact-urban

https://www.continental-tires.com/bi...contact-travel

https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...#product-specs

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...y-26-inch-tire

https://www.swifttire.com/product/sw...folding-black/

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...tire?fltr=3750

https://www.modernbike.com/panaracer...ad-black-black

It's a good idea to check the tire mfg site for specific tire specs as some make two versions of same tire, (example, one low and one high TPI version, or one with flat protection and one without..)

Mfgs will also make the same tire in wire bead and one foldable..wire bead tends to be heavier and possibly lower tpi, foldable tends to be lighter weight and higher tpi
Old 06-16-20, 10:58 PM
StargazeCyclist

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Just an idea. I put 1.75 semi slick at the rear and 1.95 knobby in front (both cheap CST 60 tpi tires).
Old 06-19-20, 05:04 PM
fishboat

A couple more worth a look.

Schwalbe Big Ben

Schwalbe Big Apple

The Big Ben is a beefed up Big Apple.
Old 06-20-20, 01:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I just recently put Maxxis DTH's on my 26" bike and really like them. They're quiet and fast on the road, and felt secure when I swerved right and took an unpaved detour. They also didn't threaten to break my piggy bank, unlike the Rat Trap Passes I wish I could get.

Also, on his blog, Jan Hein talked about RH's suppliers and the making of their parts and tires. Really makes me wish I could afford them.

Last edited by Korina; 06-20-20 at 01:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.