Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hollowtech stopper plate not dropping

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 07:29 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I installed an Ultegra 11-speed Hollowtech crank arm today. The left side crank arm has a stopper plate -- i.e., there's a little plastic piece that you're supposed to push into place.

The various online videos I watched show a little push and that little stopper piece drops right in. Not on mine... Some Googling indicated two things:
1) That stopper plate is entirely optional if the bolts are torqued to spec.
2) If the stopper plate won't drop in, then something is wrong... but I didn't see any indication as to what the problem might be.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-17-20, 07:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 2,303 Posts
The stopper plate serves two functions that I know of. One is to act as a last resort of arm retention if the pinch bolts or preload cap fail. The other is to confirm that the arm is overlapping the axle properly. This second function has some leeway. Of course Shimano will claim that their design allows for the only tolerance of this fit range. I will say that the tiny pin on the plate is easily bent and can thus change the overlap tolerance. I speculate that if this overlap amount was so specific that the confirmation method would be a bit less distortable. Andy
Old 06-17-20, 10:00 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Never had this problem, but I would take the arm off and fiddle with it, a closer look might reveal the issue.
Old 06-18-20, 08:08 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Are you using spacers behind the crank arm? If so, are you certain your BB shell width requires them?

Were the two crank arm bolts loose enough to let the arm be seated properly when you tightened the cap screw/nut?
Old 06-18-20, 08:22 AM
Sandstrom

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
If the plate is standing up too far it won't be able to clear internally. You could try removing the arm bolt(s) to get it closer to it's final position and reinstall. That little piece can be a bit fiddly to get dropped into place...
Old 06-18-20, 08:47 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 692 Posts
If you pull the drive side out of the bike, can to attach the NDS crank to it and have the stopper drop in?

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 06-18-20, 09:38 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I ran into this on my last bike and found that I had to tighten preload plug quite a bit to get the pin to line up with the hole. Once the pin dropped in I backed the plug out a bit. It was also difficult to get the pin to pop up when removing the crank arm since it was tight up against the edge of the hole.
Old 06-18-20, 09:41 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I'd guess your NDS arm is not positioned sufficiently on the spindle, and the arm needs to travel towards the frame a bit more. It usually only requires finger torque to set the crank arm using the preload tool. Perhaps if the splines of the spindle are dirty, that may interfere with a proper fit or provide unnecessary resistance.
Old 06-19-20, 08:56 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So I wound up pulling the left-side crank arm out and verified that the stopper plate would drop "standalone".

Put it back together on the bike and the plate just dropped right in. As August West mentioned... maybe I put a little more torque on that preload plug the second time?

Whatever... it's in there now! Thanks for the suggestions.