Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What does this plastic disk do?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-21-20, 01:28 PM
venomx

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Is it to prevent the cog and chain getting caught in the spokes ?
Old 06-21-20, 01:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's to stop the chain from falling into the spokes if your RD endpoints are not adjusted correctly. If they are adjusted correctly, you'll never need it.
Old 06-21-20, 01:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
There is a previous, nuanced discussion here: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...heel-fire.html
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-21-20, 02:41 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It's to stop the chain from falling into the spokes if your RD endpoints are not adjusted correctly. If they are adjusted correctly, you'll never need it.
Unless your rear derailleur gets bumped or otherwise pushed inwards, such as during transport or while parked. Having it might save you from having to replace some spokes. People derisively call them "dork discs"; I use them because they could save me from a hassle and because I don't care what other folks think. I also use a Drop Stop up front; nothing ruins a nice ride like digging a greasy chain out of a tight spot.
Old 06-21-20, 02:45 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Don't have a greasy chain and half the problem is solved. The "derailleur pushed in" would only be an issue if the hanger is bent in the process. I've yet to have a bike or wheelset even come equipped with a spoke protector.
Old 06-21-20, 04:36 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Of my two kids who ride bikes regularly, one absolutely doesn't require a spoke protector, and the other probably would greatly benefit from it. The first one (who is younger) is a better mechanic than I am, and the second one can barely turn a screwdriver.

People's mechanical aptitude and awareness differ. The nice thing about dork discs is they are just hard enough to take off that those who might benefit from them will likely leave them in place, or never even notice them in the first place.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-21-20, 07:50 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Insurance for just in case if for any reason the chain comes off between the largest cogs and the spokes. Like an insurance policy, you hope you never need it but if you do you're really glad you have it. A chain coming off and jamming between the biggest cog and the spokes can really chew up the spokes and then the spokes might break a bit further down the road.

Cheers
Old 06-21-20, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
It is a piece of plastic designed to placate riders into thinking maintenance doesn't really matter this thing will protect me. If you adjust your derailleur properly the chain cannot go into the spokes unless the hanger gets bent or you have other major mechanical failures then it doesn't matter what you have there. Take care of your bike and it will take care of you.

If your chain is exceptionally dirty, you might consider cleaning your chain more often, using a wax lubricant (or wax dipping) and maybe bringing a pair of gloves with you on the ride. A pair of Nitrile gloves don't take up much space and don't weigh hardly anything. However as they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I have seen them cause plenty of issues. The freehub won't spin and instead of taking off the cassette removing the plastic disc and putting the cassette back on and solving the problem, they sit their baffled and claim warranty or just leave it for someone else. I have solved two issues of that at the shop and I am not the mechanic I mostly focus on sales and management and many other tasks.

So remember kids, tune and maintain your bike and the only plastic discs you will need to worry about are records and frisbees (or compact discs for the younger viewers)
Old 06-21-20, 10:09 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
"dork discs"
I prefer "Rookie Ring"
Likes For rosefarts: