Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

90 at 9

Old 07-20-20, 07:23 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
90 at 9

I just got back from my morning ride. Sitting here drinking a yogurt/fruit smoothie. 90 degrees at 9am, forecast for high 90's this afternoon. Of course, also high humidity. Got in 26 miles and I am good with that, though I planned on a bit more. My getting old body does not deal with the heat very well anymore. I could feel the heat of my breath when exhaling. SW breeze is just hot air. I will be spending the rest of the day in the house with the AC. I have a book that I am enjoying, and I have some maintenance/cleaning things to do for a couple of bikes. All in all, a good way for me to spend a scorcher of a summer day.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 07-20-20, 07:42 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Even though I get out in the heat to stay conditioned to it, it sure does bring me down the following day. Sometimes almost the entire following day. The older I get (currently 55), the more I like colder weather. Of course, Texas gulf coast cold weather isn't that cold. I still prefer to ride in the winter here than in the summer, though.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 07-20-20, 08:26 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
It's been hot and humid here in Michigan too.
For longer rides, I've now been doing these overnight, two in Michigan's thumb, and then another one on a variety of trails, all being 200k routes.
I love heat, but humidity is what has been bad. Hard to catch my breath until the first 10 miles are over.
Old 07-20-20, 08:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Summer in the US is just generally hot, and you have to deal with it. The logical thing to do is ride early in the morning. When you are retired as I am, it is easy to do.
Old 07-20-20, 04:24 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Summer in the US is just generally hot, and you have to deal with it. The logical thing to do is ride early in the morning. When you are retired as I am, it is easy to do.
It's either high humidity in the morning or high heat in the late afternoon. I tend to prefer riding after dark since it's much less like breathing through a wet sock compared to mornings around here. I swear the high humidity is just edging out that extra bit of oxygen my inefficient body needs.

Maybe if I put an oxygen tank on my bike rack with a hose going up the back of my shirt and to my face . . . hmmmm . . .

Old 07-20-20, 04:28 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
80 today by 8am. 85 high. Much cooler today than it has been for the last two weeks
Old 07-21-20, 06:30 AM
oldlady62

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
It's been hotter in past summers, only into the high 80s this week. But still, if I can't get out before 1pm, then I will wait until 8pm and ride for 30 minutes before dark. That's actually my favorite time to ride. I wish dusk lasted longer.
Old 07-21-20, 09:34 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
When I was young I used to love riding in super hot weather. I was used to it back then.

Two years ago I visited the in laws in Phoenix in the middle of the summer. I got up at dawn and rode almost every day. Traffic was down, just needed to watch for the rattle snakes.

The one day I got a late start the heat took over and I bonked around 11 AM. Almost phone call home type bonk, couldn't ride. Went into a Mexican convenience store and bought a gallon of cold water to rehydrate. Man, that was like waking up from a coma.