Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn World Sport 1986 bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 10:07 AM
sqwertl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm overhauling the bottom bracket on my 1986 Schwinn World Sport. After breaking it down and cleaning it, I found wear and tear in both cups. The caged bearings on the fixed cup side corroded a ton and were pretty much rolling around freely in there, so it's not surprising that the cups also had some damage. I need to get new cups, but I don't know what specs to look for. I don't think that my local bike shops will have these parts, so have to order online and need to know what I'm ordering. Can anyone help me out on what I should specifically be looking for? Here are the cups in question: https://i.imgur.com/hHWLvVP.jpg

You can see the groove in the right one, but the left one has a fair bit of wear and tear, too.

Bonus pic of the bearing retainer, since I've never seen it get this bad, especially on just one side: https://i.imgur.com/yJ9F386.jpg
Old 07-25-20, 10:40 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Many people, myself included, would probably just swap in a Shimano BB-UN55 or BB-UN26 cartridge bottom bracket of the appropriate length.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-25-20, 12:29 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I had one of these for a couple years. It's actually a fairly nice frame.

The threading will be standard English. In the past, when one of my bikes had a damaged cup, I was able to just pull a random Japanese cup out of a junk Fuji donor bike and it worked perfectly fine.
Likes For DiegoFrogs: