Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wandering rear wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wandering rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-20, 11:02 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Wandering rear wheel

A few weeks back a spoke snapped on rear wheel (which resulted in a 9km walk). Wheel is a Ukai and original wheel for my League Fuji which I believe to be an 85/86. Hub is not marked. Second spoke this year so brought to local wheel builder. Complete new spokes for entire wheel. Wheel trued and dished. New grease added and cones adjusted so good to go.
I was using Pinhead locking releases which are a pain but that's the idea. Wheel centered and good to go.
Very hot here so set out before sunrise next morning. Almost immediately very hard riding and had to ride on a gear lower than normal on flat roads. I blamed this on me. Still dark and I get to a hill and have to walk. I check brakes for rubbing, no rubbing. My frame pump had been blocking my view of the nds chain stay at the seat tube and I discover the tire is rubbing lightly there (originally very lightly). I re-center the wheel and lock Pinhead in place and start to ride. Seems ok.

Two days later, next long ride. First hill, tire rubbing again. It seems to hold up after that (at first) until I'm uphill. I keep going but now, every few km, wheel rubbing. Doubly frustrating because each stop have to pull out Pinhead key and re-center, then repack key for fear of losing it. Now the intervals shorten. In 6-7km I stop and adjust at least 10 times!!

I return to frame builder and show the wheel.

Wheel still true. Axle not bent. Pinhead skewer not bent.

Replace rear Pinhead with standard quick release skewer and ride home. Within .5km, on a slight rise wheel shifted over and tire again rubbing.

Give up and call for a ride.

Yesterday had med appointment. While there talk with a man I know who rides a lot. He too is baffled but recalls same issue happened to his neighbor and no one could find issue then either. Neighbor simply purchased a new wheel set. I've bought a new/used wheel set on here but won't have it for at least a week so need the old set.

Prior to this no issues with my wheels. Rebuilt last fall (Sept or Oct) with new bearings. Bearings appeared ok when cones checked after spokes replaced.

Any ideas for a cure?

Last edited by WGB; 08-01-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-01-20, 11:11 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Replace the locking skewer with one strong enough to hold the wheel in place.
Old 08-01-20, 11:45 AM
WGB 
WGB

Woodcraft
The Pinhead ones are locked with a key, sort of a cross between a skewer and a lock nut. By the time I gave up and switched it out for a skewer I was no longer simply snugging up the pinhead lock, I was torguing it as hard as I could turn the key. Same with the skewer. By that point I had the skewer over- tight and curiously, when I had to loosen it to center the wheel the skewer was still very tight (hadn't loosened in the distance I'd rode).
Old 08-01-20, 12:08 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Maybe when somebody repacked the wheelbearings with new grease they put the outer serrated locknuts on backwards so there isn't any bite on the dropouts.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-01-20, 12:44 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
One other possible issue is that the axles are a bit too long and are keeping the QR and Pinhead from clamping.
Old 08-01-20, 01:02 PM
WGB 
WGB

Wizardofboz - its the same axle and the Pinhead had worked/locked fine for years so length shouldn't have changed.
Trailangel - will check the lock nuts.

Not dismissing ideas out of hand. I'll check any and all.

Thank you
Old 08-01-20, 02:31 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
My aluminum frame cannondale used to pull the wheel forward on the drive side under hard torque. The drop outs had worn and tapered over the years. Couldn't get the skewer tight enough after awhile.

Check the drop outs for rounding.

Also check the skewer nuts to make sure they have a nice serrated surface on them.

In my case I ended up making plates out of stainless sheet and sandwiched them over the drop outs to square them up and give the skewer a good place to bite. Bike is pretty old and I bought it used. Probably mid 80's.
Old 08-01-20, 04:15 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Also check that the dropouts are parallel to each other, and perpendicular to the axle. You should probably use a dropout alignment tool for accuracy.
Old 08-01-20, 05:21 PM
WGB 
WGB

Popnwood - Good call on the drop outs being worn. Hadn't thought of that. Back to fame builder for a visit. This frame doesn't have drop out screws so perhaps movement could occur, resulting in grinding. I'm a big boy. Perhaps weight combined with even slight movement, combined with slight variations each time the wheel is installed might cause wear.....

Andewclaus- frame builder used the drop out tools. They are aligned.
Old 08-01-20, 05:44 PM
mbrraleigh

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Soma Double Cross, Nashbar Alum Mountain Frame/Surly Troll fork , 1977 Kobe Chapparal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My 2009 Fuji Tourer had a tendency for rear wheel slippage unless I tightened the snot out of the skewer. I dealt with it for years until I finally tried a Surly Hurdy Gurdy which turned out to be a good solution. Perhaps that could work in your case?
Old 08-01-20, 06:05 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Also if using a QR, make sure it's an internal cam type, like Shimano. External cam QRs are not appropriate for horizontal dropouts.
Old 08-01-20, 06:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Maybe try DT Swiss Skewers or bolt-on:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-worn-out.html
Old 08-01-20, 06:35 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
May guess is the Wizard was on the right track. Since the wheel has been recently rebuilt, are all the same spacers in place? I'm thinking instead of the axle being too long, the OLD might be too short.