Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spacer on top of stem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spacer on top of stem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 07:50 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Spacer on top of stem

I've read some posts that at least one spacer is required on top of your stem. Other posts said it was bike dependent. I have an old trek 5000 ... Do I need to keep a spacer on top of the stem or could I raise the stem all the way up?
Old 08-14-20, 09:10 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01
I've read some posts that at least one spacer is required on top of your stem. Other posts said it was bike dependent. I have an old trek 5000 ... Do I need to keep a spacer on top of the stem or could I raise the stem all the way up?
I've never heard of a requirement for a spacer. Assuming you're referring to a threadless headset, the primary rule is the top of the stem or spacer needs to be about 3mm above the top of the steer tube. You can achieve that 3mm gap by stacking spacers below or above the stem. Or you can cut the steer tube.

See middle of the article: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...ion-threadless
Old 08-14-20, 09:27 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
What I have read and seen on-line: For carbon steerer tubes, the top of the tube should be no lower than the top of the stem clamp. This avoids asymmetrical forces on the fragile carbon steerer tube as one tightens the stem bolts and which could crush the end of the tube. A spacer keeps the end cap from touching the top of the compression bolt cap; if they did touch, it would be difficult if not impossible to secure the steerer tube inside the headset.
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 08-14-20, 10:08 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
What I have read and seen on-line: For carbon steerer tubes, the top of the tube should be no lower than the top of the stem clamp. This avoids asymmetrical forces on the fragile carbon steerer tube as one tightens the stem bolts and which could crush the end of the tube. A spacer keeps the end cap from touching the top of the compression bolt cap; if they did touch, it would be difficult if not impossible to secure the steerer tube inside the headset.
Yes, you are correct, for carbon steerer tubes! The above mentioned Park Tool article says "When dealing with a carbon steerer tube, it is critical to have the steerer tube go all the way through the stem, in order to reduce stress on the end of the steerer tube. It is then necessary to have a spacer on top of the stem."
Likes For MudPie:
Old 08-15-20, 06:10 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Having the steerer long enough to need a spacer above the stem is a real good idea for future fitting options, independent of steerer material. All my threadless bikes have this and they are all steel steerers. Andy
Old 08-15-20, 12:13 PM
Helldorado

Ten days ago I purchased a new Cervelo Aspero from my LBS. I asked them to swap the Easton EA50 stem that came with the bike for a shorter one, but they would only do it if I paid full price for it (no credit for the perfectly new OEM stem already on the bike). A bit miffed at this, I declined and bought myself a new Easton EA70 stem on line and installed it myself. What I found when I swapped the stems is that the shop had cut the carbon steerer tube too short. The top of the steerer tube was about 8 mm below the top of the stem clamp. That's not a good thing with carbon tubes, The only way to correct this is to remove a few spacers from below the stem (there were no spacers above it - the top cap was installed directly on the top of the stem) but this would, obviously, lower my stem by about 1 cm.

Normally I wouldn't care, but I bought the bike because it fit me just right. With a lower stem - not so much. I don't want or need to be that low. This is a gravel bike, not a racer.

When I took the bike back to the store today the owner was there, and he acted like I was crazy. I showed him the Enve Composites video on their YouTube channel that recommend exactly what I was telling him (put a spacer above the stem, avoid clamping on a carbon steerer tube that is beneath the top of the stem clamp) but he didn't care.

I just cannot win.
Old 08-15-20, 12:38 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If your EA70 is a current model, it can be run as either +7º or -7º. If you currently have it set as -7º, you can flip it, and would need to remove a handful of spacers to get it back to the same height.

The trusty Stem Comparison Tool will help you.
Old 08-15-20, 01:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Carbon steers need it ,

Metal you put a spacer over the stem to lower the bars , knowing when you are old you might want them higher again,
so don't cut it down,,

Because, you realize, it won't grow back..

Old 08-15-20, 05:26 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Carbon steers need it ,

Metal you put a spacer over the stem to lower the bars , knowing when you are old you might want them higher again,
so don't cut it down,,

Because, you realize, it won't grow back...
Unless you have the very rare, not-listed-in-the-catalog, Park STS-1 Steerer Tube Stretcher. But you'll need to go to a 1" threadless headset, since the steerer tube gets thinner as it gets longer. (If the bike was 1", you have to go French.)

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-17-20, 04:33 AM
oik01

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If your EA70 is a current model, it can be run as either +7º or -7º. If you currently have it set as -7º, you can flip it, and would need to remove a handful of spacers to get it back to the same height.

The trusty Stem Comparison Tool will help you.
I'm actually running -17. Was plus 17 but a bike fitter asked me to lower the front. I obviously did a huge change ... It's been better than before but I've been wondering if a slightly in between configuration works best hence the thought of bringing down that top spacer to lift just a bit. The alternative would be a new -7 stem
Old 08-17-20, 04:36 AM
oik01

Ten days ago I purchased a new Cervelo Aspero from my LBS. I asked them to swap the Easton EA50 stem that came with the bike for a shorter one, but they would only do it if I paid full price for it (no credit for the perfectly new OEM stem already on the bike). A bit miffed at this, I declined and bought myself a new Easton EA70 stem on line and installed it myself. What I found when I swapped the stems is that the shop had cut the carbon steerer tube too short. The top of the steerer tube was about 8 mm below the top of the stem clamp. That's not a good thing with carbon tubes, The only way to correct this is to remove a few spacers from below the stem (there were no spacers above it - the top cap was installed directly on the top of the stem) but this would, obviously, lower my stem by about 1 cm.

Normally I wouldn't care, but I bought the bike because it fit me just right. With a lower stem - not so much. I don't want or need to be that low. This is a gravel bike, not a racer.

When I took the bike back to the store today the owner was there, and he acted like I was crazy. I showed him the Enve Composites video on their YouTube channel that recommend exactly what I was telling him (put a spacer above the stem, avoid clamping on a carbon steerer tube that is beneath the top of the stem clamp) but he didn't care.

I just cannot win.
Oh wow ... I would fight back because that's just reckless / irresponsible. A Google review can go a long way. Tell him you will report him to the bike manufacturer or some regulating authority and do so ...
Old 08-17-20, 06:07 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
If the steerer is carbon you have to put a spacer on top and the steerer should be cut slightly above the stem.

If the steerer is metal, you don't need a spacer on top.
Old 08-17-20, 06:39 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by Amt0571
If the steerer is carbon you have to put a spacer on top and the steerer should be cut slightly above the stem.

If the steerer is metal, you don't need a spacer on top.
With CF steerers, it depends. For instance, Cervelo explicitly states not to put any spacers above the stem, and that the top of the steerer should in fact be 3mm below the top of the stem.
Old 08-17-20, 02:24 PM
Helldorado

With CF steerers, it depends. For instance, Cervelo explicitly states not to put any spacers above the stem, and that the top of the steerer should in fact be 3mm below the top of the stem.
Is that on their US website? Because I searched and searched and could not find any statement to that effect. I have sent them a query via their on-line customer service form, but have yet to heard back.
Old 08-17-20, 04:16 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Unless you have the very rare, not-listed-in-the-catalog, Park STS-1 Steerer Tube Stretcher. But you'll need to go to a 1" threadless headset, since the steerer tube gets thinner as it gets longer. (If the bike was 1", you have to go French.)

--Shannon
I'm imagining all the non-C&V folks wondering "go French? "
Old 08-17-20, 04:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

How fast can an escargot ?
Old 08-17-20, 05:55 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Is that on their US website? Because I searched and searched and could not find any statement to that effect. I have sent them a query via their on-line customer service form, but have yet to heard back.
That’s from the manual that comes with the bike, with the instructions on how to cut the steerer and glue in the aluminum sleeve. I’d get a photo of it, but I’ve no idea where it is, as I glued in my sleeve back in 2017. Same stem has been on there, 3mm above the top of the steerer, for ~13k miles.
Old 08-17-20, 05:57 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
How fast can an escargot ?
Idunno, what's a grecian urn?
Old 08-17-20, 06:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle_Onassis
Old 08-17-20, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I like having a small spacer above the headset just in case I want to move up a touch. Not always needed aside from on carbon steerer tubes.
Old 08-17-20, 07:59 PM
Helldorado

That’s from the manual that comes with the bike, with the instructions on how to cut the steerer and glue in the aluminum sleeve. I’d get a photo of it, but I’ve no idea where it is, as I glued in my sleeve back in 2017. Same stem has been on there, 3mm above the top of the steerer, for ~13k miles.
Found it, on line/. Thanks.

For whatever reason Cervelo mandates that the top of the carbon steerer tube be 4 mm below the top of the stem. Everything that I've recently read about carbon forks says the opposite: don't clamp a steerer tube above the tube's top edge. I wonder what's so different about Cervelo fork tubes from the Enve, Specialized, Cannonade, etc tubes...
Old 08-18-20, 03:01 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
That seems to me like an exception to the rule. Maybe Cervelo manufactures steerers differently, I don't know.

All bikes I've seen and had with carbon steerers had a spacer on top and the manual stated it was mandatory.
Old 08-18-20, 07:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I am very surprised that some forks do not allow a spacer above the stem.That would be a total deal breaker for me.
Old 08-18-20, 11:00 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I favor the way Cervelo does it-- the aluminum glue-in insert is over 3" long, so no matter where the stem is on the steerer, it's fully supported. If someone is running a wedge expander with a spacer above the stem, maybe the wedge is supporting the whole stem, maybe it isn't.

Aesthetically, I don't care for a spacer above the stem at all. Looks unfinished.
Old 08-18-20, 11:32 AM
Helldorado

I favor the way Cervelo does it-- the aluminum glue-in insert is over 3" long, so no matter where the stem is on the steerer, it's fully supported. If someone is running a wedge expander with a spacer above the stem, maybe the wedge is supporting the whole stem, maybe it isn't.

Aesthetically, I don't care for a spacer above the stem at all. Looks unfinished.
My 2020 Cervelo Aspero does not have a glue-in insert at the top of the head tube- it has an aluminum expander... So I was a bit confused reading the Cervelo on-line assembly instructions mentioning the insert and careful application of glue, but no mention of an expanding aluminum wedge with a Allen bolt at the top into which the top cap screw inserts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.