Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Priority 600 gear ratio comparison

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 08:23 PM
hammster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been driving a 2013 Trek Soho Deluxe (archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2013/Trek/soho_deluxe) for years now, and while it is still a great bike, I'm really distracted by the thought of getting a shiny Priority 600. However, I have been trying to compare gear ratios, and something seems off. I'm hoping somebody here can correct my numbers or explain how I'm misunderstanding.

My understanding is that I can calculate the effective gear ratio by dividing the front sprocket teeth (55) by the rear sprocket teeth (24) and then multiply that ratio by the internal gear ratios of the Shimano SG-8r31 hub. Based on the internal ratios on Sheldon Brown's page (sheldonbrown.com/nexus8.shtml), I get effective ratios of

Now, those are OK for my commute. When the winter wind is howling, I sometimes wish I had a lower gear, and when the summer breeze is behind me on a modest downhill, it's not too hard to max out the drive train and want a little more.

Then I compare those ratios with the Priority 600. I found the C1.12 pinion box internal gear ratios at cyclemonkey (www.cyclemonkey.com/blog/calculating-gear-ratios-pinion-gearbox). The 600 appears to have a 1:1 sprocket ratio (I can't find a definitive reference), which gets me:

I was hoping the Soho's range would fall into the middle of the 600. Instead, it appears that the 600 is designed to climb really (really!) steep hills and has a rather pedestrian top speed. Tell me that's not true! Where am I going wrong here? Any 600 owners able to compare these two bikes?

Also, while I'm here, one thing that bothers me about the Soho are the "rusty parts". The sprocket guard bracket, the disc brake housing, and a couple other bits. Does the 600 have all SS bits? Is it truly weatherproof?

Thanks a ton!