Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

27.0mm crown race on a 26.4mm fork

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-31-20, 06:49 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts

I have a Tange fork that started life with a JIS 27.0mm crown race surface that has been milled to fit an ISO 26.4mm crown race. A 27.0mm crown race fits loosely, as one would expect. There's a very very small amount of play in it. I would like to use this fork in a frame that uses JIS 30.0mm external cups (head tube is about 29.95mm). In general, you can't find a JIS headset with 30.0mm cups that also has an ISO 26.4mm crown race. It seems to be either full ISO (30.2/26.4) or full JIS (30.0/27).

Solution A: buy a full JIS headset and set its 27.0mm crown race onto the Tange fork in some sort of epoxy. I imagine this is generally not the preferred option, though I think the worst that could happen is I find it won't set correctly and there's too much play...and I'm back to square one. I don't see a safety risk with this approach.

Solution B: buy a full JIS headset and then try to find an ISO 26.4mm crown race with a running bearing diameter that's somewhat compatible with the lower cup from my new JIS headset, and then use this ISO crown race on the Tange fork. This seems to be the "safest" option, although one that is potentially the most difficult (in terms of sourcing that one ISO race that I'll need).

Solution C: buy a full ISO headset and have 30.2mm cups pressed into my 29.95mm head tube. I've had this done before on another bike and, honestly, I'm not sure I really like this option. The cups went in (by a bike shop) with significant force and I wouldn't swear that the metal didn't fatigue somewhere. I'm at least as concerned from a safety perspective with this solution as I am with solution A (from the perspective of the head tube fatiguing). Maybe aluminum cups would press in easier than steel ones? I see headsets advertised that appear to use aluminum cups. The ISO headset I used on the other bike had steel cups and went in with a real fight.

I see a lot of questions about using an ISO race on a JIS fork (milling is the typical recommendation). I want to go the other way -- I already have a milled fork and I'm trying to figure out how to get back to JIS with it.

I appreciate ideas and suggestions. Thanks.
Old 08-31-20, 06:58 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Another option: Have the headtube of the new frame milled to accept 30.2 mm ISO cups and buy an all-ISO headset.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-31-20, 06:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Most Tange threaded headsets (Levin etc) you can buy the crown race separate and they are mix & match

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=49908
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-31-20, 07:00 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Velo orange also allows you to mix and match. I had to do that on my Melton bike.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-31-20, 08:25 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Thanks -- I didn't know the mix-and-match was available like this. I'm anticipating using a Tange chrome/polished headset, so will look into just buying the ISO crown race separately.