Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

I did my first night ride in over a year

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-06-20, 06:59 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts

and everything still works as it has for all the years prior. It felt great too. I retired August 2019 and have had no good reason to ride at night anymore, but while I was working I was all set up to ride day and night, good weather and bad.

My kit consists of my Shimano 3N72 dynamo hub, B&M CYO premium front light, magnic light rear, and the bike was just setup for commuting with removable everything, this being NYC where everything is stolen. I miss commuting too, I figure it was about half my miles each week. Yea, I could do it anyway but with Covid nobody else was out there at first. I'll have to try it again after the holiday.

And the bike is silent too, I'd forgotten how quiet that bike is compared to my road bike.

Retirement is good though, I can ride whenever I want.
Likes For zacster:
Old 09-06-20, 07:20 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Congrats on retirement and the night ride!
I miss commuting too. Getting to and coming home from work by bike was probably my favorite part of the work-day.
Not retired tho. Retirement is like twenty years away. Furloughed from work so I have plenty of time to ride.
Not the same tho. No racing against the clock to get to work lol.
Old 09-06-20, 09:25 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I still work and so about the only time I can do my daily workout on a bike is 5 AM. Consequently, it's usually dark whenever I do most of my rides. I remember after weeks of early morning riding in the dark I set out on a Saturday ride. I noted how strange it was to be riding during the day when I could see everything instead of normally focusing on what I can see in the light of my headlight.
Old 09-07-20, 08:14 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
I've been retired for a few years and miss the commute too. I even took a picture of the bike on the last day of bike commuting....

I don't have many times when I need to ride at night, but I do still go out for a night ride now and then, especially in early and late fall. Being able to ride on the quiet streets and roads in warm weather is just wonderful! So much nicer than the ride home from work in the dark when it is about 10 degrees F out.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 09-09-20, 08:26 AM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
I live out in the country and love getting out early and watching the sun rise as I ride.

Old 09-09-20, 07:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
For the pandemic, my spouse and I moved into our weekend home in a rural area. I miss commuting by bike because it was enforced mileage. So now I take rides for the sake of riding. I enjoy that, but I wish it were more regular. I need more discipline.

I've only ridden at night once since coming up here in March. We were invited to a back yard distanced party which would end after sunset. It was about four miles away. I was surprised my spouse suggested we ride, but hey, she did. We took the tandem. Since we were on rural roads, I decided to be overly cautious. I used two tail lights and three headlights, one extremely bright. We were treated well as we usually are in this area.

I'm rebuilding one of my bikes up here, and it will have dynamo lighting. I do appreciate that. It needs so much less attention. You don't notice how much attention you give to a good headlight until you get to stop. That is, you don't have to mount, unmount, charge, the headlight at all. You just roll, and it never runs out of power. And it doesn't fall off or need adjustment, either.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-10-20, 03:50 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by jimjim58

That's a really cool picture.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-10-20, 06:07 PM
zacster

I've gone out 3 nights now on the bike. This is one of my regular biking destinations but on this night we did not bike:

Ft. Tilden, NYC

Yes, this is about 45 minutes from Manhattan and maybe 20 from my house in Brooklyn. Maybe next week I'll do it at night.
Likes For zacster:
Old 09-10-20, 06:39 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
does riding in the haze and gloom from forrest fires the same?
Old 09-27-20, 08:31 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Of course, the more obvious reason is less daylight hours in the Northern Hemisphere, but we are also coming to cooler weather and soon there will be fewer bugs here to contend with, so more night riding! I did a couple of rides just after sunset this summer and down in the low lying areas the bugs would just swarm to the headlight.

Otto
Old 09-29-20, 07:16 AM
zacster

That's just overkill. At least for me in NYC. There is one place in Prospect Park that has no street lighting and I do a quick side trip every time I ride through at night just to see how bright my dynamo light is and it is plenty bright, much brighter than I even think when I'm riding on the streets. And it spreads wide and far too with the lens and reflector it has.
Old 09-29-20, 09:14 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Of course, the more obvious reason is less daylight hours in the Northern Hemisphere, but we are also coming to cooler weather and soon there will be fewer bugs here to contend with, so more night riding! I did a couple of rides just after sunset this summer and down in the low lying areas the bugs would just swarm to the headlight.

Otto
I did a night ride recently on a MUP along a small river, really enjoyed it, only encountered a few people, I did have a deer run across the path. I have the same problems with bugs, I have a headlight on the bars and a small lights on the helmet, bugs flying into my glasses, face, helmet and chest. I was thinking about a few things to do about this, maybe mount the handlebar light at the axle of the front wheel and bugs would be approaching closer to my feet. I really don't like the bugs getting into the helmet and into my hair, so I was thinking about a hairnet over the helmet to stop them from getting in, maybe wear a cap under the helmet too.
Old 09-29-20, 11:57 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Yes, you're right, that is overkill for tootling around in the city.

Maybe you didn't notice, but I wasn't riding in a city park.
I didn't actually watch the video but I could see it was a trail. Even in very dark conditions though my light is plenty bright although maybe on a dirt trail I'd want even more.
Old 09-29-20, 03:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I haven't been riding much at night, because my spouse and I moved up to the country for the pandemic, and we pretty much stay indoors at night. A couple of nights ago, I wanted to see what it's like. We live on a very quiet country road. Light traffic makes it safe, and so does the extreme narrowness of the road, but we get an occasional irresponsible driver, so it's not perfect. (What is?) I just went up to one end and then back and then past the house a bit for a round trip of 1.4 miles. I was running a good quality Taiwan-made dynamo light (whose name I have forgotten) plus the China-made Xanes SFL-01 battery headlight. They both cast similarly-shaped beams (German-law compliant) with similar intensity. I turned each one off alternately, and the results were very close.

Neither light is ultra-bright, and the beams are not super-wide. They are slightly more than adequate for the task. I like swerve the bike left and right to get a sweeping view of the road.

Here are the lights.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-30-20, 07:06 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Again, your light may be "plenty bright" for tootling around in very dark conditions but when folks are riding at higher speeds, it's really easy to outrun a low-powered light. The video may help you understand why.
It is NOT a low powered light. I've done plenty of research on lights, lumens, lux.

Old 09-30-20, 08:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

That's an impressive beam.

Old 09-30-20, 11:02 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
This thread is already circling the bowl...