Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

are there something like cleats with straps, bound and fixed to other shoes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-16-20, 09:11 AM
Quintessentium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

hello
are there something like of cleats with straps, bound and fixed to other shoes,

so I can use cleats on most of any non-cleat shoes.

I was using toe clip pedals too

but, maybe I haven't mastered how to fully utilize effectively, they were more wobbly than I expected.

belows are similar idea is applied in other genre of sports activities

Old 09-16-20, 09:27 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Just be cheap cycling shoes if you don't want to commit to clipless.
Old 09-16-20, 09:48 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Just be cheap cycling shoes if you don't want to commit to clipless.
that’s not the problem that I’m actually trying to resolve by this. I’m not expecting to snatch the quickest solution.

Last edited by Quintessentium; 09-16-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-16-20, 09:53 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
So you want to be able to fasten cleats to essentially any pair of shoes, making the shoes usable with...toe straps? Are you talking about old-style cleats or "clipless" cleats? The problem as I see it is that cleat positioning is a big deal - effecting efficiency, knee happiness etc - I can's see how you can get consistent cleat positioning without actually attaching them to the sole of your shoe.
Is the goal so you can cycle "cleated" and then be able to remove the cleats to walk?
Likes For Litespud:
Old 09-16-20, 09:57 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I know of no such product. I'd imagine that in order to secure them tightly enough to not move around and to release from the pedals predictably, they'd be uncomfortable. I don't know the issue you're trying to resolve, but I'd recommend looking at the many "casual" shoes that are available with recessed cleats.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-16-20, 10:07 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I know of no such product. I'd imagine that in order to secure them tightly enough to not move around and to release from the pedals predictably, they'd be uncomfortable. I don't know the issue you're trying to resolve, but I'd recommend looking at the many "casual" shoes that are available with recessed cleats.
​​​

coincidentally, I was able to get these normal looking outsoled clipless shoes today but still I eager to get above mentioned conversion strap thingy.

Last edited by Quintessentium; 09-16-20 at 10:18 AM.
Likes For Quintessentium:
Old 09-16-20, 10:10 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've seen clipless sandles
Likes For GlennR:
Old 09-16-20, 10:15 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
So you want to be able to fasten cleats to essentially any pair of shoes, making the shoes usable with...toe straps? Are you talking about old-style cleats or "clipless" cleats? The problem as I see it is that cleat positioning is a big deal - effecting efficiency, knee happiness etc - I can's see how you can get consistent cleat positioning without actually attaching them to the sole of your shoe.
Is the goal so you can cycle "cleated" and then be able to remove the cleats to walk?
exactly. That’s what I want.
I use my dear bike for daily purpose too and if I have such thingly it’d so useful, without unscrewing and installing pedals everytime I need either one of them.

of cleat position repositioning problem, I’m not that athetic, so I don’t worry a lot about it while I may be able to remember where the cleat usually have been about.

Anyway, thank you for many thought. 😄
Old 09-16-20, 10:16 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I've seen clipless sandles
though outsole can be bulky, a huge size can be alternative to what I’ve thought. Thanks !
Old 09-16-20, 10:22 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintessentium
I use my dear bike for daily purpose too and if I have such thingly it’d so useful, without unscrewing and installing pedals everytime I need either one of them.

of cleat position repositioning problem, I’m not that athetic, so I don’t worry a lot about it while I may be able to remember where the cleat usually have been about.

Anyway, thank you for many thought. 😄
there are pedals with plain platforms on one side and SPD-style clips on the other, so you can use regular shoes without cleats while maintaining the option of cleated bike shoes. Another possibility (and I think I’ve seen these for Look-style road pedals) is an adaptor with a plain platform on top and a cleat on the bottom - they clip into the pedals, converting them into platform pedals. Clip out the adaptors if you want to ride clipless. I’ve never seen these for SPD-style pedals, but if you were any way handy, these would be pretty easy to fabricate.
Old 09-16-20, 10:36 AM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
there are pedals with plain platforms on one side and SPD-style clips on the other, so you can use regular shoes without cleats while maintaining the option of cleated bike shoes. Another possibility (and I think I’ve seen these for Look-style road pedals) is an adaptor with a plain platform on top and a cleat on the bottom - they clip into the pedals, converting them into platform pedals. Clip out the adaptors if you want to ride clipless. I’ve never seen these for SPD-style pedals, but if you were any way handy, these would be pretty easy to fabricate.
I used to do that, a pedal of MTB clip on both side and a flat adapter on one. but the side Where an adapter was keeping to fall downward because Of the adapter’s weight. plus, it looked like some contraption a bit as pedal’s colour was much brighter than while the other was black 😂🤣

anyway, that was not too bad idea, but it makes me b still need to wear a bit pricey clipless shoes sadly:

thank you very much for caring thoughts 🤩

Last edited by Quintessentium; 09-16-20 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-16-20, 11:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had some spd adapters but they were terrible. They were impossible to clip in to the pedal at first, then as I used them and the plastic wore down, they were impossible to keep attached. Tossed them after a few months.

Then I got these pedals for my CX bike when commuting: https://rideissi.com/pedals/issi-flip
They're pretty good for riding around with regular dress shoes if I just want to casually ride to work and bring my shoes and jersey/bibs for a longer/harder ride home. Not expensive and might be what you're looking for.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-16-20, 11:26 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think these might work for you. It's a platform with a cleat that that clips in to your clipless pedals:

https://www.amazon.com/Corki-15-Clip.../dp/B01JM5SYGK
Old 09-16-20, 11:31 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
In a situation like this I would likely try to find a comfortable shoe that rides well with platforms. For instance, Vans and Shimano "DX" are a whole lot like being strapped in. They just fit well together.
Old 09-16-20, 11:36 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Take a look at Power Grips. https://www.powergrips.com/ Depending on how they are adjusted/installed, they will securely hold just about any shoe to a pair of toothed flat pedals with easy in and out. I've used them daily with a pair of heavy soled work boots and sneakers - not so well with leather soled dress shoes.
Old 09-16-20, 06:57 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
Take a look at Power Grips. https://www.powergrips.com/ Depending on how they are adjusted/installed, they will securely hold just about any shoe to a pair of toothed flat pedals with easy in and out. I've used them daily with a pair of heavy soled work boots and sneakers - not so well with leather soled dress shoes.
My wife uses these when we tour. She often wears sandals with them. She loves them and feels they hold her feet securely.
Old 09-16-20, 08:40 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
hello
are there something like of cleats with straps, bound and fixed to other shoes,

so I can use cleats on most of any non-cleat shoes.

I was using toe clip pedals too

but, maybe I haven't mastered how to fully utilize effectively, they were more wobbly than I expected.

belows are similar idea is applied in other genre of sports activities

Why, yes. The smoker you drink, the player you get.
Old 09-17-20, 08:41 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would think that what you are thinking of would need to be really tight fitting in order to have the needed control over the cleatl. And even then I think you would lose many of the benefits of clipless or toe straps.

I cannot see how this could possibly be preferable to running a set of quality flat pedals.
Old 09-17-20, 05:18 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
There used to be a one-piece plastic platform / toe clip thing that snapped into a Look clipless pedal. I remember seeing them on bikes in bike shops that came with Look pedals. In fact, that's the only place I've ever seen a real one. I assume they came with the bikes to make them easy to test ride.

--Shannon
Old 09-17-20, 07:37 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Just good old fashioned pedals with toe clips work quite well with regular shoes for some casual riding and/or commuting. No need to over think it.
For using with casual shoes only its probably advisable to pick a larger size set of toe clips than the ones you would have normally used with cycling specific shoes.

EDIT: Actually, even modern SPD compatible cycling shoes are quite chunky compared to cycling shoes intended for toe clips. Old cycling shoes were very slim.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 09-17-20, 08:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
If I need clipless then I want a good cycling shoe and if I want to just wear regular shoes than I want a good platform pedal with adjustable or at least replaceable pins. I don't need or want to adapt regular shoes for clipless or clipped pedals. It is just not a good idea.

If you are saying "I am not that athletic" then why bother with clipless pedals in the first place? Having some clunky weird strap on on your feet isn't going to be a good clipless solution. Go ask a professional bike fitter if they recommend some jenky cleat mount for a sneaker. You want that cleat in the right place, it has nothing at all to do with "athleticism" it is all about putting your foot in the right spot for your pedaling and being more efficient and also comfort. Having something that slides around and moves a bunch isn't good for you in that situation and could be dangerous while clipped in.

If I need a bike to do both clipless and platform I would just get the Shimano PD-T8000 or Crank Brothers Double Shot or Mallet DH (if I was using their cleats). Otherwise I would go with a Crank Brothers Stamp (in large for my feet) or Issi Stomp XL or Spank Pedals or one of the many other options in a large platform with replaceable pins (just avoid fakes and knock offs)
Old 09-20-20, 06:24 PM
enine

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I found the opposite
https://www.modernbike.com/kool-kovers

there is the one I saw the other day https://www.amazon.com/Fly-Pedals/b/...bin=Fly+Pedals

LMK how well they work and I might buy a set too.
Old 09-20-20, 07:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
2 sided pedals.Something like Shimano PD-T8000, PD-M324, EH500, or PD-A530
Old 09-20-20, 08:09 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
This is a crucial question about your philosophy of pedals. Some people seek the highest efficiency of clipless. I'm kinda retro and use toe clips and straps, because they're comfortable and ergonomic. I tried Look clipless for a couple years, but I came back to the old school toe clips.

On mountain/gravel bikes, I'm 100% for platform pedals with spikes.
Old 10-03-20, 09:38 PM
Quintessentium

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I think these might work for you. It's a platform with a cleat that that clips in to your clipless pedals:

https://www.amazon.com/Corki-15-Clip.../dp/B01JM5SYGK

the adapted side keeps facing down whenever I put my feet away

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.