Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Do I need a dynamo?

Old 10-01-11, 06:52 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Do I need a dynamo?

My bike commuting will end in about a month because of temperatures. Even now on my ride in to work from about 6:15 to 7am, at least 20 minutes of it are in night conditions and the sun doesn't get above the hills till after 7am. However, I am riding on, for the most part, well-lit residential streets so I don't need a superbright light for seeing the road but I would like to improve the brightness of my front light so that I can be better seen by others. Therefore, I am looking for a basic dynamo and light setup and am not opposed to adding a rear light to my bike (my flasher is on the back of my backpack).

I understand the Sanyo hub is quite reasonably priced. I don't have disc brakes so I don't have to look for a disc-compatible model of hub. I am riding a mountain bike.

Ideally, I would like the headlight to mount from the bottom of the stem but I haven't seen a mount like that: the reason is that I don't like "crowding" out the handle bars.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-01-11, 09:04 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
One or more bright rear flashers mounted to the bike. On the backpack might be OK but tough to ensure it is and remains properly aimed.

For the front, a battery powered LED white flasher. The batteries last a long time in LED flashers.
Old 10-01-11, 09:58 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my dynamo setup, but the whole system will set you back some money, and be not as bright as some better battery systems.

If you're not going to do a lot of night riding (in sounds like your commuting is part-time) and you don't mind dealing with batteries, battery lights are going to cost a lot less.

If you hate dealing with recharging or replacing batteries and ride a lot at night, then you may want a dynamo.

I liked the look of the SON hub. Yes, it's shiny. So I spent a total of over $500 at my LBS for them to order the parts, build a wheel, and install the lights. I have the B&M IQ Cyo headlight and B&M Toplight Flat taillight. I also use a small blinky taillight that runs on AAA batteries for a backup.

Oh, you'll also *still* want a flash light or something with you so that if you need to fix a flat on the side of the road at night, you can. A dyno light doesn't work for that.

I could have saved money by going with a cheaper hub and it would work just as well. Depending on your LBS and your rim choice, you could probably get a complete system for less than $400 based upon the Sanyo hub... even less if you buy a pre-built wheel online.
Old 10-01-11, 02:51 PM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear: I would go with something like a pair of Planet Bike Superflash, use their seatstay clip. Maybe a 3rd zip-tied to the back of your helmet. Bring them in during the day if you want to warm up. Unless your commute (round trip) is around 2hr+, high capacity NiMH should be adequate and I would look at something like the Dinotte 200L AA-version; either on helmet. A secondary battery powered light for backup. Again, I'd bring them inside so they can warmup during the day; carry a second holder of, perhaps single use Lithium AA cells for backup. I think a Dynamo would be overkill.
Old 10-01-11, 08:17 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks guys. You seem to agree that a dynamo may be overkill so I will just enhance my lighting with battery powered lights.
Old 10-01-11, 09:28 PM
bicycleflyer
747 Freight Pilot

Bikes: Rivendell, Bike-Friday Pocket-Rocket and one home made fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't necessarily need a dyno hub. There are some other dyno options such as a bottom bracket mounted dyno or one of those units that clamps onto your fork and has the light built in. Take a look at Peter white's website, he has some options available as well as another dealer called yellow Jersey.

But I do agree with the other posters, it sounds as if you could get along fine with a battery light. If a dyno's 3 watt output was good enough for you, then I recommend the cateye EL-320. Self contained, no cables and plenty bright with flashing mode to boot. Supplement that with a Printon Tec "EOS-bike" on your helmet.

Lot's of good tail light choices out there.....make your own choice.
Old 10-01-11, 09:43 PM
bicycleflyer
747 Freight Pilot

Bikes: Rivendell, Bike-Friday Pocket-Rocket and one home made fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for your not crowding your bars, have you considered mounting a "space-bar" and aiming it straight down.

Or you could do this....

https://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...rrent=picb.jpg