Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Zwifthacks v Zwift

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 01:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Zwifthacks v Zwift

I'm guessing most Zwift users have come across Zwifthacks.com by now? Anyway, I just discovered their version of the Events listings for Zwift.. which is about 1000% better than Zwift's own. I'm curious though.. how does this 3rd party tool have better listing info than Zwift's own website? You can filter, and look days in advance, and for any workouts, it gives you a graphic of what the workout will do. Provides a direct link to the course map and details, eg. below. None of this to be found on Zwift's site. In the case of being able to view the actual workout graph, is this available on Zwift's own site and I just haven't found out where yet?
Eg. compare:
https://zwift.com/events/view/543400
vs partial screenshot from Zwifthacks.. the rest of the description scrolls off the page.
Old 04-12-20, 08:20 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Not sure about the website, but workout details can be viewed in the Zwift Companion app, including a full breakdown of each interval's duration and power target. So technically the data is all there, just whether the app or website retrieves and displays it or not.

Last edited by atwl77; 04-12-20 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 02:18 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Well, the app is leagues ahead of the actual website. I think what you're getting on the Zwifthacks site is a combination of the data you get from the official site and the app...plus a bonus or two. Honestly, the Zwift events site just plain stinks, and anyone who thinks otherwise...probably doesn't work in IT or web design. Like, why when you go back to the main events page after viewing an event do you have to start at the top again? Why doesn't the event open in a new tab, or just expand to show you the details and you can make the choice of whether to join right there on the spot? It's a tacky website and with all the money they are making, they should be able to do better. My rant for the day!
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 04-13-20, 02:43 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Sounds like the complete opposite of Strava, which has a more comprehensive website but a relatively lousy app where you can't even zoom in and read power data on the analysis graph. I wonder if they both went to the same school of UI design? 😆
Likes For atwl77:
Old 04-13-20, 07:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Well, the app is leagues ahead of the actual website. I think what you're getting on the Zwifthacks site is a combination of the data you get from the official site and the app...plus a bonus or two. Honestly, the Zwift events site just plain stinks, and anyone who thinks otherwise...probably doesn't work in IT or web design. Like, why when you go back to the main events page after viewing an event do you have to start at the top again? Why doesn't the event open in a new tab, or just expand to show you the details and you can make the choice of whether to join right there on the spot? It's a tacky website and with all the money they are making, they should be able to do better. My rant for the day!
Exactly! Checking out an event on Zwift's site is a horrible experience, because hitting the back button starts your entire search and filtering experience over again. No way to even right-click and open an event in another browser tab.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-13-20, 09:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,082 Times in 3,823 Posts
www.zwiftinsider.com has some pretty good info, too.
Old 04-18-20, 11:56 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
It's a tacky website
I was thinking crappy.
Old 04-23-20, 09:14 AM
esarhaddon
Lurker

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Bombtrack Hook 2, Jamis Durango

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
I think that because Zwift opens the API for Zwiftpower, Zwifthacks and others to write useful tools to use Zwift ... they see little point to them putting development resources to duplicating the extra functionality unless they have too. I mean their event list does work ... just not very well. Hell, they don't even duplicate the badges list, challenge tab, drop shop, or garage anywhere outside of the main game app. It would be useful to have all of those in the companion app, or on the main menu.

Though they could at least publicize a little bit more the tools that make Zwift easier to use. Not everyone knows to go to Zwiftinsider to find all the other useful Zwift related sites and actually useful information about using Zwift.
Old 04-25-20, 04:15 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I don’t think Zwift takes suggestions well. I know people have been asking for a way to toggle off some of the screen information. That seems standard for the video games I have played, yet Zwift won’t do it. It is like if the idea didn’t come from them, it’s a bad idea.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-14-20, 08:13 AM
mlavery0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
www.zwiftinsider.com has some pretty good info, too.
Thanks! I'll have to check that out when I get my setup going.
Old 05-15-20, 03:13 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I don’t think Zwift takes suggestions well. I know people have been asking for a way to toggle off some of the screen information. That seems standard for the video games I have played, yet Zwift won’t do it. It is like if the idea didn’t come from them, it’s a bad idea.
It's not perfect but zwift preferences does remove all the UI clutter if you'd like, it makes for a very nice experience when free-riding, especially if you use the companion app.
Old 12-12-20, 09:12 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
I like the Zwifthacks events site because it is easier for me to filter the type of ride I want. For example, Cycling only, Workout, Today or whatever. Lately I have been doing the group rides and I can very easily find those. But, to sign up it does take you back to the zwift page.
Likes For bblair:
Old 12-12-20, 11:05 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Zwift is a great program but they have a lot to desire with the interface and in game options. PAYING users have been voicing this for years now and nothing ever happens. Zwift insider is the best place for info for Zwift IMO.

I love zwift, I spend all winter on there. But as time goes on they think they are adding new and exciting features and they just frustrate their users. Example, simple but Halloween is one example, super busy day because they always do something fun. This year you had to ride for a long time to get the costume sets instead of just getting them for riding. Then you earn them and you lose them. Epic fail.

The main screen back and forth interface is terrible, route changes meaning you have to exit the ride and start over, epic fail, the drop system is cool actually but the level up deal is annoying now. Went from 25 to 50...great but getting to 50 steps is annoying because the points are wonky IMO.
Events are great but the efforts to stop the watt dopers is really annoying. I can't even keep up in my actual watt class but if I bump down to be competitive I get bumped back up because I am too high and still get my butt whooped.
Look, zwift has issues but I do really enjoy it. But if they don't fix these nagging issues we have been asking for all along I am done.
Old 12-17-20, 08:05 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Another good site to check out is ZwiftPower.com if you do a lot of racing and want to see a more detailed look at your ranking as well as a deep dive into your data. The navigation is even worse than Zwift Events but once you get familiar with it there's lots of cool stuff to find.
I like the Victims and Nemesis tabs in your performance!
Old 12-28-20, 01:19 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
you sound like you might work in IT, so you probably know that, a) there are never enough resources available to do everything that you know would be good to do, so you focus them on what's most important this week/month/sprint/whatever, b) that there's always stuff baked into the legacy code that users think should be easy to change, but no it ain't easy to change and it probably ain't happening, c) the company isn't making nearly as much money as people think, including the people who work there. Frankly, I think this team has really delivered a fantastic program at an amazing scale, and whatever shortcomings the platform might have, those pretty damn minor. And, of course, any team is welcome to build a completing platform - but...
Old 12-28-20, 02:15 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
you sound like you might work in IT, so you probably know that, a) there are never enough resources available to do everything that you know would be good to do, so you focus them on what's most important this week/month/sprint/whatever, b) that there's always stuff baked into the legacy code that users think should be easy to change, but no it ain't easy to change and it probably ain't happening, c) the company isn't making nearly as much money as people think, including the people who work there. Frankly, I think this team has really delivered a fantastic program at an amazing scale, and whatever shortcomings the platform might have, those pretty damn minor. And, of course, any team is welcome to build a completing platform - but...
i really wish that would happen.
Old 12-28-20, 02:58 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Yea, definitely understand the constraints of the release cycle and tackling the biggest bugs/new features in each. But if everyone assumes that it's already being resolved and so they don't make noise about it, or thinks it's too small of an issue to bring up...it will never be resolved. I think overall the Zwift team does a good job, but you know what they say...nobody thanks an admin for keeping their network up and running 99% of the time, they yell at them when it's down that 1% and they're losing money.

As for building competing platforms, yea...until 2020 I don't think many really saw "virtual cycling" as something worth investing in on a large-scale. But who knows? Maybe with everything that's happened this year, we'll see new faces in the game soon. Of course, as with most things, I'm pretty skeptical (I think most people are going to forget they even bought a bike once things go back to some semblance of normalcy)...but you never know.

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 12-28-20 at 03:02 PM.