Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Portable oxygen

Old 07-27-19, 08:12 AM
pippin65

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Portable oxygen

I get winded. Bad. Poor stamina from being overweight and having smoked 35 years....since quit.

I am am wondering portable O2 systems that I can buy
Old 07-27-19, 04:31 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Start with Google, do some reading, then maybe call some medical supply places. Tell them what your situation is, and ask them about options. They should have the best info of various products and options.
I'm thinking a cycling forum isn't exactly going to be the motherload for info on portable o2 systems and distributors.
Old 07-27-19, 05:03 PM
soonerrebel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pippin65
I get winded. Bad. Poor stamina from being overweight and having smoked 35 years....since quit.

I am am wondering portable O2 systems that I can buy
Inogen One G3 is an excellent portable unit. They are expensive, but check your medical insurance, some help with the cost.
There are a few caveats to using them: cost being one, battery life and some routine maintenance.

The Inogen One G3 is a portable oxygen concentrator, as long as you have a battery to run it you have oxygen.
Old 07-31-19, 07:16 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Kudos on quitting smoking.

See your doctor. Supplemental oxygen is a Godsend to many people, but it is not a panacea for every problem that causes shortness of breath on exertion. Getting enough oxygen in is only part of the function of the respiratory system. The other major function is to get rid of excess CO2. You also need to make sure your circulatory system is capable of distributing that oxygen and carbon dioxide to and from the lungs and body tissues. If you have a disease, or even allergies, that affect your lungs or airway, often medication can improve function with or without supplemental oxygen. If your problem is simple deconditioning of your muscular and cardiopulmonary systems, then low oxygen may not even be the problem. I've seen many people, and have been there myself, sucking wind due to physical exertion but when you place them on a pulse oximeter (measures the % of your blood's hemoglobin that is saturated with oxygen) they are running in the high 90s to 100% despite the air hunger (healthy normal is >95%). If your hemoglobin is low, supplemental oxygen may help some, but it isn't your primary problem, and you will need to find out and correct the reason or you will continue to fatigue and feel winded easily.

Stopping smoking was a huge step
Getting more exercise is another positive change
Seeing your doctor is equally important

Supplemental oxygen systems require a prescription and you doctor will have to sign off if you expect insurance to foot any portion of the bill. You can find them from private sellers, often those who have upgraded their system or who have lost a loved one who was on supplemental oxygen, but you have no idea of the condition of the unit, if it was properly cleaned and maintained, or if you will be able to obtain supplies like filters or replacement batteries, or if you will be able to receive service for the unit.

Beware of Dr. Google. There is a lot of good medical information on the internet, but there is also a huge amount of misinformation. Be sure you get your research from reputable sources like the American Heart Association, American Lung Association, or a recognized medical entity such as Mayo or John's Hopkins. If you haven't used it before, Google Scholar is a great search engine for peer reviewed research.