Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- November 30 / December 1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-30-19, 03:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts

Last month of the year! Happy Thanksgiving to those from the US! Tell us all about your cycling or other sports.
Old 11-30-19, 03:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- Passing showers and busy organising an event that will be run tomorrow.

But I got in a bit of exercise.

Zwift Cycling
Distance: 12.64 km
Elevation: 65 m
Moving Time: 30:26
Elapsed Time 30:26
Speed: Avg: 24.9km/h | Max: 45.0km/h
Heart Rate: Avg: 134bpm | Max: 149bpm
Cadence: Avg: 78 | Max: 103
Power: Avg: 101W | Max: 165W

Rowing Machine
Distance: 2,518m
Moving Time: 16:24
Elapsed Time: 16:24
Speed: Avg: 3:15/500m | Max: 2:36/500m
Cadence: Avg: 29 | Max: 31
Power: Avg: 47W | Max: 63W

Treadmill Walk/Run
Distance: 3.43km
Moving Time: 34:18
Elapsed Time: 34:18
Pace: 9:59/km
Old 11-30-19, 03:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

2019 Monthly November
Walking Distance (km): 86.0
Walking Time (min): 1030.6
Cycling Distance (km): 58.4
Cycling Time (min): 199.0
Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 101.0
Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 80.8
Rowing Distance (km): 11.0
Rowing Time (min): 71.0
Other Distance: 0.0
Other Time: 120.0

Totals
Total Distance (km): 155.5
Total Distance (miles): 96.6
Total Time (min): 1501.4
Total Time (hr): 25:01:21
Old 11-30-19, 08:05 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
It was my club's annual "Run What Ya Brung" pre-Christmas costumed/questionable choice of bike ride. As usual there was all manner of bikes present: decorated road/gravel/cx bikes, mountain bikes, fat bikes, a trike, single speeds/fixies. And me, I was on my wife's e-bike complete with our dog trailer attached. My costume for this year was Karen, a 1980s American housewife/soccer mom, complete with 80s blond wig, bright pink leg warmers, and my bright green velotoze shoe covers, plus my ugly christmas sweater. In the trailer, I had some soccer balls, orange slices, and Timmy, my t-rex child stand-in as my dog wasn't allowed on the ride. Our half-way stop included mulled wine (with or without alcohol), mince pies, and other goodies.
Unlike our normal club run, we set off as and stayed in one group the entire ride, pulling in where safe and appropriate to let traffic past (with cheery waves from us all). People have loads of patience when cyclists are dressed in all manner of silly costumes. At the end of the ride, we gather at our club HQ for coffee and sausage/mushroom/bacon baps.
Likes For rivers:
Old 11-30-19, 12:28 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
I only did 38 miles yesterday but with some seriously steep hills (25%+) on my beater MTB. Cold for this area with a high of 48°. Cold, windy, and raining today and same expected for tomorrow. Leave for 10 days of vacation on Tuesday so no riding for a while.

Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 12-02-19, 01:07 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 225 Posts
I had Wednesday off from work, so I did my Davis Is. ride in the morning for 27 miles. Thursday (Thanksgiving) I rode out to Upper Tampa Bay Trail for 40 miles. I was back in the Ocala Nat. Forest for the weekend. Did an hour long hike on Saturday. Sunday I did a hilly loop of 42 miles. Perfect bike weather. It was windy, but I timed it perfectly so I was heading into the wind when it was around 5 - 10 mph and then it picked up as a tail wind of 15 - 20 mph. I flew up those hills. The only troubling part was hunting season had started. Many pickup trucks, camo guys and guns. Not sure if I should be concerned for stray bullets.
Old 12-02-19, 04:14 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Zwift Ride - Astoria Line NYC

13.93mi
1155ft climbing
1:06:40 time
131w avg power
12.5mph avg

Zwift Ride - Watopia Fuego Reverse

20.07mi
154ft climbing
1:03:34 time
139w avg power
19.0mph avg
Old 12-02-19, 05:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
A mix of activities this holiday weekend. Definitely feeling it today -- got sore muscles where I didn't know I had muscles.

24 miles Thanksgiving day in the rain, 40something degrees, round trip to and from a friend's home for dinner and visiting folks I hadn't seen for awhile. Discovered I actually prefer riding in the rain than cold dry air. Cold dry air gives me a sinus headache, but the chilly damp was soothing. Go figure. Not much vehicle traffic, thankfully -- the few who were out there were probably tipsy. One car nearly skidded through a downhill approach to a stop sign intersection as I was approaching. Fortunately I was a fairly safe distance away.

12 miles/one hour on the indoor trainer Friday while watching a thoroughly unsatisfying series. American Horror Story ain't all that great. More horrible than horrifying. I'm gonna need to find a better series for my winter indoor trainer sessions.

35 miles Sunday, trying for some tailwind assisted PRs on a 6-mile time trial segment where the top ten, including the KOM, are all either tailwind assisted or paceline efforts with much younger and stronger riders. So I'm not ashamed that my top ten placing was tailwind assisted. Alas, I didn't quite have the legs and only set my third fastest time, and not even my fastest this year. My fastest was early 2018 before my bout with thyroid cancer and being hit by a car. That was good for 2nd place for awhile, but I've since dropped to 8th place. With an average of 25 mph, I'm very middle of the pack among the strongest local riders. The KOM is held by a friend at 28+ mph. That's way beyond my reach. I'd need a TT/tri bike with aero bars to approach that, but that segment is too dangerous to stay in the aero bars most of the route -- too many rough patches of pavement at the bottoms of dips, blind curves, etc. There's one straight but hilly 2.2 mile segment with good pavement where I might try aero bars. But it still won't nudge me into the KOM. I recently got a couple of aero jerseys and an aero helmet to see if it helps any.

Another 15 miles Sunday night to test a new cassette. With a 52/42 chainring and 7-speed cassette on my old Trek 5900 (not the original component group on that early monocoque carbon frame bike), I want a 28T large cog for climbs when my legs are dead, but I'm picky about gear spacing. The 13-28 I've been using is fine, except for blasting downhill. I tried a new SunRace chromed 7-speed 11-28 cassette. As expected the chromed SunRace with nicely shaped teeth shifts more crisply and runs quieter. The gear steps seem okay. I'll try it a few more rides. Might swap the chainring to a 50/39 double.

Walked 2.25 miles Sunday, carrying 50 lbs -- 20 lbs in each hand and 10 lbs on my back for a mile. Just checking my overall fitness after months of PT while recovering from being hit by a car last year. That was much harder than I'd expected. My toothpick legs may be bicycling strong, but I'm nowhere near the strength I was in the military when we did 10 mile or longer marches with packs. My legs are wobbly, stiff and sore today, and shoulders very stiff and sore, mostly from the effort needed to stabilize while walking carefully. The overall sensation was like planking or similar static tension exercises, but held for much longer than most such exercises. It'll be interesting to see whether walking with weights will improve my cycling. But I've pretty much run my course with bodyweight exercises and now I'm just maintaining a moderate fitness level.
Old 12-02-19, 07:15 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I haven't posted here in a while, as my road cycling has been completely pathetic as of late! My main riding has been 18-20 miles a day of commuting, but between a few holidays and out of town travel for work, even my commuting mileage the past few weeks has been lame. I've also been walking after lunch at work, maybe 3-6 miles a week, which is better than I've done the past few years.

I did get in a nice Thanksgiving road ride - my first proper (non-commuting) road ride in quite some time! Just a short one - 24.5 miles, 1,362'. I was completely happy with my 17.2 MPH solo average, especially given the number of slow rolls into red lights on the route. I beat the QOM time on one segment (but I'm done playing the leaderboard game). It's nice to ride unencumbered, without my commuting bag 'o' stuff.

Eventually I'll get through the bulk of this huge work project and back into weekend warriordom.