Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Shoe modification regarding cleat placement

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 05:39 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Shoe modification regarding cleat placement

Greetings. I'm working on returning to cycling, indoor for the foreseeable future, after recovering from Sepsis. I've had partial amputations of both feet. The toes on the left and a Lisfranc amputation on the right. I have prosthetics that fit in my cycling shoes,barely but the problem is with the cleat placement. It seems that the right side is ok but the left has to be moved back so the cleat is under the foot. The shoe does not allow for enough room to get the cleat where I need it. The shoe has a carbon sole so I don't want to damage it trying to modify it blindly. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the sole to get the cleat further back.
Old 01-04-20, 09:39 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I don't know about carbon soles. However with normal shoes it's quite possible to drill through the sole and use T-nuts in the inside (under the lining) and then bolt the cleat to those. Actually that was quite often done when the original Look triangular cleats and pedals came out and that was because most shoes then were not drilled for the three holes.

Cheers
Old 01-04-20, 12:11 PM
TCR Rider

I think I have a pair of shoes with plastic soles somewhere. Sounds like something worth trying. I just wonder if the nut used to hold the bolt might cause a raised spot under the liner.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-01-20, 06:24 AM
lapola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems that the right side is ok but the left has to be moved back so the cleat is under the foot. The shoe does not allow for enough room to get the cleat where I need it. The shoe has a carbon sole so I don't want to damage it trying to modify -->filezilla uc browser rufus blindly. Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the sole to get the cleat further back.

Last edited by lapola; 02-01-20 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-01-20, 10:01 AM
TCR Rider

I thought there was another reply but it appears to be spam.
I will, however, post an update I decided to bite the bullet and have a custom pair made with Rocket7. I sent them the molds a couple of days ago.
Old 02-01-20, 04:26 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A T-nut is used to hold the bolt. You remove the liner, drill the holes for the cleat bolts, install the T-nuts and then replace the liner. A thin insole can be added for greater foot comfort if there is room in the shoe.

I did all that back in 1985 or 1986 when I adapted my Eddy Merckx bicycling road shoes to three-bolts Look clipless pedals.

Cheers