Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

People Who Should Know Better

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

People Who Should Know Better

Old 10-06-11, 06:31 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
Really? Political? I did not see one mention of party or people relating to politics. And as a 50+ year old that lost my job a while back (for the first time), I can tell you it is a real problem.

(full disclosure, after drawing unemployment and working several temp gigs over a couple year period, I am now again fully employed)

Best thing about being unemployed... riding my bike when and where I wanted. Worst thing... feeling helpless and undesired.
No question unemployment is a real problem. But, the poster didn't limit it to the recently unemployed. The post extended to those who seek help in the social services industry. Who those people are, their motivations and what to do with them is a hot political topic. Only the uninformed could not see that. This is especaly true for the multi-generational clients and those who seek services over many years. Pay attention to budget battles in the federal and state legislative systems and you would know that. Big problem. Big politics with many billions of dollars and whole communties at stake. Lots of intense lobbying on all viewpoints. Politics is the topic not bicycle advocacy or safety.
Old 10-07-11, 11:07 AM
cranky velocist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
No question unemployment is a real problem. But, the poster didn't limit it to the recently unemployed. The post extended to those who seek help in the social services industry. Who those people are, their motivations and what to do with them is a hot political topic. Only the uninformed could not see that. This is especaly true for the multi-generational clients and those who seek services over many years. Pay attention to budget battles in the federal and state legislative systems and you would know that. Big problem. Big politics with many billions of dollars and whole communties at stake. Lots of intense lobbying on all viewpoints. Politics is the topic not bicycle advocacy or safety.
Despite what you may have heard, social work is a common profession with best practices - just like any other industry. You shouldn't try to disparage discussions which mention real world events.

It would be like me wandering over to the Clyde's or Adaptive's sections and braying about universal healthcare - completely out of place, offensive, and rude.
Old 10-08-11, 03:23 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky velocist
Despite what you may have heard, social work is a common profession with best practices - just like any other industry. You shouldn't try to disparage discussions which mention real world events.

It would be like me wandering over to the Clyde's or Adaptive's sections and braying about universal healthcare - completely out of place, offensive, and rude.
Cranky if you would just stop being cranky for a minute and read what was posted you might have a better response. In no way was I denigrating people in the social services industry. What I said was that the organization and people and associated funding are a hot politial topic. In fact I can not think of many things that are more hot button politically. This is true at the Federal and State levels and to a lesser degree even at local political body level.

I didn't take sides although the post to which I was responding did. That person should move the thread to a political forum for that is what it is.
Old 10-08-11, 03:26 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
I find that people that are smart enough to figure out the personal economic benefits of a bicycle over a car, then actually pursue that course of action, rarely need a social worker to help them with their personal finances.
It's not just finances. It's navigating the whole social services mess.
Old 10-08-11, 03:30 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky velocist

Originally Posted by kuan
It's not just finances. It's navigating the whole social services mess.
Cranky meet Kuan. Kuan meet Cranky. You two apparently have differing political views. Can they be resolved?
Old 10-08-11, 03:47 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cranky meet Kuan. Kuan meet Cranky. You two apparently have differing political views. Can they be resolved?
Sure. Resolved. There.
Old 10-08-11, 03:58 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kuan
Sure. Resolved. There.
Wonderful...now if you can get the Congress to do the same we are all set for compassion and prosperity.
Old 10-08-11, 07:43 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wonderful...now if you can get the Congress to do the same we are all set for compassion and prosperity.
This thread is more politics than A&S. Closing.

If you want to start another thread in P&R, feel free.

Forum Guidelines *click here*