Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck stem. Need help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuck stem. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 08:56 AM
kzh

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stuck stem. Need help

Hi guys,

I have an 30+ years old Puch Leader and in 2017 i changed only the most important parts (fast as hell in the middle of the season). This spring I decide to finish evething else I can, without spending too much money. I take down everything, clean, sand, polish, grease. Perfect but my stem is stuck The same happened with seatpost, but vise helped. Do you know some trick to release it. Please help
Old 04-02-18, 09:17 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Loosen the long drop bolt. Tap it with a mallet or hammer to make the beveled nut drop.
Still stuck? PB blaster around neck of steering tube/stem, 4 hours or more of patience, back in the vise.
Old 04-02-18, 11:00 AM
frndlyfire

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Continental, 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1981 Schwinn Paramount, 2011 Polygon Helios 700, 2015 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just did as oddjob advises above and got my stem out. Soaked for probably 24hrs though, and scored the stem in the forks with a sharp knife to try let some pb down there (not sure if that helped but made me feel like I was doing something!)

I put an old wheel on and inserted old bars, then wrapped the wheel in a thick old sheet so I could pin it with my knees then twisted the bars. Took a lot of effort and a lot of wiggling but eventually got it free.
Old 04-02-18, 11:03 AM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
if you have room (not pushed down too far) loosen and pull up headset so you can clean any old grease around the stem/steering tube junction (which will stop your pb blaster) and also get a more direct spray inside.
Old 04-02-18, 02:56 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,640 Times in 2,602 Posts
I tried to free a stuck stem once by putting the stem in the vise, putting the front wheel on and then twisting the wheel. Managed to snap off a fork drop out!

Now my approach is to put the fork crown in the vise (with padding), dribble a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone in there (from the top and also flip it over and dribble some in via the bottom of the fork crown) and let it soak for 24 hours. Then use the handlebars as leverage. If it doesn't move at first, another round of ATF/acetone, and try again.
Old 04-02-18, 03:07 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
I was looking for a frame in 2009 to replace my damaged Le Champ. Found a very nice Celeste Bianchi and was about to buy it until I noticed a dent near the crown on one of the fork legs. There was another on the other leg but in the front. Don't use fork legs as part of the force network.

See Post #7. The dents in the Bianchi fork legs matched the 2" dimension of a 2x4.

Last edited by SJX426; 04-03-18 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Following post is an example!
Old 04-02-18, 04:37 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
I've also busted a dropout, while twisting on an old Motebecane's handlebar, but it was a cheaper model and the brazing there clearly wasn't very good.

I have used a 4' long X 4" wide X 1" thick stick of TREX decking as a lever, inserted between the fork legs, and while this has proven better than any other methods I have tried, one should be cautious. Perhaps installing a hub or hub axle assembly with a quick-release skewer would add some bracing for a particularly hard effort?
Old 04-02-18, 05:50 PM
kzh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for advises! I will try everything possible. I cant even loosen the bolt, and I know it will be a challenge, just like the seatpost, but i dont wanna use vise in that case. Maybe I can buy cheap old wheel and bar - its a good idea. Thanks!
Old 04-02-18, 06:27 PM
frndlyfire

Bikes: 1970 Schwinn Continental, 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1981 Schwinn Paramount, 2011 Polygon Helios 700, 2015 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
By “loosen the bolt” do you mean the wedge/expander is still up inside the quill stem? If that’s the case you need to get that out before trying any of the above (aside from pb blaster on the nut).
Old 04-03-18, 03:35 AM
kzh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frndlyfire
By “loosen the bolt” do you mean the wedge/expander is still up inside the quill stem? If that’s the case you need to get that out before trying any of the above (aside from pb blaster on the nut).
Of course
Old 04-03-18, 07:51 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Internally corroded stems can be a pain.

No one's mentioned this, and it's pretty obvious, but just in case: Turn the bike upside down. Spray in your favorite penetrant from through the fork crown below. Use a lot. That should free up the stem bolt. You can use a fair amount of torque to do this.

I don't really like the brute force methods. You're likely to damage stuff. It's not how it would be done in most bike shops.

Sometimes it's helpful to tap the stem out from below. Good idea to remove the front brake.

If all else fails, heat and cold will free up pretty much anything. But that method has its own hazards so I'm not going to describe it.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 04-03-18 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 08:13 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Internally corroded stems have be a pain.

No one's mentioned this, and it's pretty obvious, but just in case: Turn the bike upside down. Spray in your favorite penetrant from through the fork crown below. Use a lot. That should free up the stem bolt. You can use a fair amount of torque to do this.

I don't really like the brute force methods. You're likely to damage stuff. It's not how it would be done in most bike shops.

Sometimes it's helpful to tap the stem out from below. Good idea to remove the front brake.

If all else fails, heat and cold will free up pretty much anything. But that method has its own hazards so I'm not going to describe it.
The only way to do it in situations like this!
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 04-03-18, 09:28 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I put an old wheel on and inserted old bars, then wrapped the wheel in a thick old sheet so I could pin it with my knees then twisted the bars.
If this did not damage the fork, then you got very lucky. I, in my infinite lack of wisdom, did destroy a nice fork set doing this sort of thing. Forcing anything, in the mechanical field, is a questionable way to go, darn near every time. Just an old man'd opinion, of course.
Old 04-03-18, 10:07 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I had a frame with a stuck seatpost. I put the seatpost in my vise and rotated the frame around it. One of the seatstays came undone from the seat lug. The frame was then toast. Luckily, it wasn't valuable.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-18, 11:10 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I tried to free a stuck stem once by putting the stem in the vise, putting the front wheel on and then twisting the wheel. Managed to snap off a fork drop out!

Now my approach is to put the fork crown in the vise (with padding), dribble a 50/50 mixture of automatic transmission fluid and acetone in there (from the top and also flip it over and dribble some in via the bottom of the fork crown) and let it soak for 24 hours. Then use the handlebars as leverage. If it doesn't move at first, another round of ATF/acetone, and try again.
I've done this, it works pretty well even without bars if you have a big enough wrench

Old 04-03-18, 12:16 PM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Forget the PB Blaster. Use a 50-50 ratio of ATF/Acetone. Soak it, wait, profit.
Old 04-03-18, 12:39 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Had this on my Tommasini. I used repeated applications of PB Blaster over a period of weeks, from above and below, also with a lot of tapping on the stem with a piece of maple. The wedge/expander was loose from the start, so it wasn't that. I think because I'd been cautioned by @randyjawa I took my time, and never got too crazy in forcing anything. I was also rebuilding other parts of the bike, so I had no reason to rush, and I was hoping to preserve the stem. My patience eventually paid off. I've tried ATF/acetone since then, on a stuck seatpost (no luck on that one), but I have read that it's even better than Kroil, which is apparently better than PB Blaster.

Edit to add: The heat/cold trick didn't do anything for me.
Old 04-03-18, 12:59 PM
kzh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo, ho, ho, the stem is out. Just like Salamandrine, I don't want to force it, because its the only one bike, I have. So i go to my work place with my bike - there is a very very long instrument for the bolt (i don''t know the word in english). Slowly with a minumum pressure - its free. There's not even a scratch. I used some very thick grease for motorcycle chain. The same i use for my chain.

Thank you for advices You are great!

Last edited by kzh; 04-03-18 at 01:07 PM.