Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2018 Jamis Renegade Elite

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 01:09 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
12mm is becoming the road standard, not sure that's backwards.
Old 01-06-18, 02:56 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny01
Old post, but I disagree. I think the spec is very similar. How is the Jamis a clear winner? You get the Niner carbon wheels with Dt swiss 350 on the RDO vs American Classic Race on the Jamis. Both awesome, but I prefer the Niner carbon. They are insanely strong rims. The Niner also has a 15mm front axle vs Jamis's 12mm. Funny that Jamis went backwards from the 15mm they had earlier.
Missed those carbon wheels.
Old 01-06-18, 06:19 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Did Jamis photoshop the wheels ? or is WTB coming out with all black Horizons?

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/images...?crc=127950427
Old 01-06-18, 08:43 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I suppose with the demise of AC that the wheel spec will have to change.
Old 01-06-18, 12:06 PM
Danny01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sullalto
12mm is becoming the road standard, not sure that's backwards.
This is true. But if it already had a 15mm axle, I would prefer if they had kept it. It is stronger and the only downside is a couple extra grams that no one buying a bike like this would care about.
Old 05-29-18, 06:49 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Maybe a dumb question for you guys, but bear with me. New poster here.
Do any of you use the Elite primarily for a road bike on paved roads, with the option to ride dirt/gravel?
I "need" a new bike for primarily paved surfaces, but would love to be able to leave paved roads , which currently I can't with 25 mm max road tires on my older Spec Roubaix.
I don't want to leave much behind on the pavement though, in terms of speed, etc
Thanks much!
Old 05-29-18, 07:53 PM
lennskii

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the spectrum of gravel bikes on one hand being "Touring" (e.g. Kona Sutra) and "Racey" (e.g. Open Up) I found the Renegade sits nicely in the middle or a slight nudge to Racey.

Have slapped on a set of narrow (~19mm internal) road disc wheels with proper supple 28mm race tyres and latex inner tubes and it did super well on paved rides. You would only really notice a difference if you came from riding (and are replacing) a particularly aggressive road bike (e.g. Giant Propel or Trek Madone etc) where the chainstays are much shorter (for ducking in and out of pelotons) and are 2 degrees or more steeper in the head tube angle. Though you can tweak the Renegade with component choice is that's what you're after (lowering stem height, narrowed conventional drop bars vs. mildly flared that comes stock).

GCN did a pretty entertaining CX vs. Road on tarmac comparison (search Youtube for Road Vs Gravel Bike - Is A Gravel Bike Really Any Slower? GCN Does Science). They even did it a quick CX with slicks vs. Road slick tyres at the end. Although the CX bike in this test was noticeably heavier, it's probably more realistic in that many people who buy gravel bikes aren't super serious road racers looking for something more practical for day-to-day riding who often are coming off lighter racier bikes.
Old 06-03-18, 07:40 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lennskii
On the spectrum of gravel bikes on one hand being "Touring" (e.g. Kona Sutra) and "Racey" (e.g. Open Up) I found the Renegade sits nicely in the middle or a slight nudge to Racey.

Have slapped on a set of narrow (~19mm internal) road disc wheels with proper supple 28mm race tyres and latex inner tubes and it did super well on paved rides. You would only really notice a difference if you came from riding (and are replacing) a particularly aggressive road bike (e.g. Giant Propel or Trek Madone etc) where the chainstays are much shorter (for ducking in and out of pelotons) and are 2 degrees or more steeper in the head tube angle. Though you can tweak the Renegade with component choice is that's what you're after (lowering stem height, narrowed conventional drop bars vs. mildly flared that comes stock).

GCN did a pretty entertaining CX vs. Road on tarmac comparison (search Youtube for Road Vs Gravel Bike - Is A Gravel Bike Really Any Slower? GCN Does Science). They even did it a quick CX with slicks vs. Road slick tyres at the end. Although the CX bike in this test was noticeably heavier, it's probably more realistic in that many people who buy gravel bikes aren't super serious road racers looking for something more practical for day-to-day riding who often are coming off lighter racier bikes.
Thanks very much for the reply
I actually spoke to James at November who's going to make me a set of Boyd Altamont alloy rims with White hubs and run a 28 Conti iGP 4000 S II. Should be pretty quick I'm hoping
Old 06-04-18, 03:44 AM
ATPAH

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What Lennski said. I have the Expert, but if I put a set of nice road wheels on it, the bike would not be out-of-place alongside the Madones and Pinarellos of the local shop's fast group. It's plenty stiff, and when you stomp the cranks, the bike plain jumps. It's not the lightest, so you might notice a difference in the mountains, but I could shave that extra 1,000 grams myself by skipping beer for a week, and my bike would still be a capable off-roader. As Lennski said, it's a bit on the racy side of the gravel bike spectrum, which is why it's a good dual-purpose ride. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if it were a degree slacker, so it was less twitchy when it encounters the stray cobble on a downhill and there was no toe overlap when picking my way around tight corners on trails. Still, neither of those has put my on my ass yet, so maybe I'm overredesigning in my head.