Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Body armor for XC

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Body armor for XC

Old 06-05-19, 01:45 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Body armor for XC

anyone riding with chest/rib protection?
This is the second year in a row I've been sidelined for rib/chest injuries. Last year was a freak accident on a CX bike where my ribs landed on a stump, out for 3 months. Last week while trying to dial-in my XC bike, took an OTB after running wide at a turn and hitting a log, been out for 2 weeks and don't see a quick recovery again in prime riding season in the NE no less. I've got gear for DH (POC) and enduro (7protect) but they seem a bit bulky for XC and casual riding. Looking at some Troy Lee and Demon vests which seem like a good idea and maybe even bring some mojo back. I can also spend the coin on lessons on falling but I seem to get injured lots, LOL. Also second year detaching tendons on my right hand.

Some folks out there riding XC with armor with decent chest/rib protection? Don't really need back protection, but I know a lot of vests have both.
Old 06-05-19, 03:18 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
While I am not I do see the necessity of wearing it if you have had issues with those injuries. Ive ridden with a couple of people who are older and really need the protection because of the recovery time at their age. I am at least going to start wearing knee pads soon Ive had several accidents hitting my knees. I did have a rib cage injury but chest protector would not have helped in my case as I was pulled off the bike and pulled some muscle in between my ribs.
Old 06-05-19, 05:17 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Is your cross country bike a 26er? Bigger wheels like my 29er roll over stuff better. Take some lessons, do some yoga/general conditioning. And yes there are correct ways to fall. I like g form elbow and leg armor.
Old 06-05-19, 10:23 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Leebo
Is your cross country bike a 26er? Bigger wheels like my 29er roll over stuff better. Take some lessons, do some yoga/general conditioning. And yes there are correct ways to fall. I like g form elbow and leg armor.
Lol, maybe a few years back
I just got a Pivot 429SL, after slack trail bikes the last few years the Pivot just feels so twitchy. But that's expected. I do yoga twice a week, really helps with the winter sports and MTB. Been doing it for about 10 years. As for lessons, yep, that's next. Usually take one every year to hone the skills. My instructor is the US enduro champ last year so I'll be sure to pick her brain.
Old 06-06-19, 06:53 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

^^^ Good start. I " try" to ride within my skill set. Doesn't always work. Lots of times it's slow speed stuff, tech rock gardens, short steep pitches up or down, that give me trouble. Some group rides we will session some difficult sections, both ways, different lines, etc.
Old 06-06-19, 07:06 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Leebo
^^^ Good start. I " try" to ride within my skill set. Doesn't always work. Lots of times it's slow speed stuff, tech rock gardens, short steep pitches up or down, that give me trouble. Some group rides we will session some difficult sections, both ways, different lines, etc.
Yeah, it's rarely the techy chunky slow stuff where I get injured. I'm not much for Seth Hacks type riding....
There's a park by me which was an old zoo which has been repurposed as a park, rocks and features everywhere, last time I was there I rode it on a steel hardtail SS without incident.
My crashes are usually in fast race loops with virtually no tech. Riding seems to be regressing every year. Maybe I should take up knitting....
Old 06-06-19, 08:59 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
the bike shop owner I used to work for broke his ribs the first year of riding MTB back in the '80s. I don't think I would wear chest protection though. I have definitely considered lightweight shin guards, that seems to be where I hit when I go down.
Old 06-06-19, 09:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
after a cpl falls was gonna try knee pads, but recently tried some XL at a consignment shop & they were ridiculously tight to put on. either I get XXXL or don't
Old 06-06-19, 01:43 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by unterhausen
the bike shop owner I used to work for broke his ribs the first year of riding MTB back in the '80s. I don't think I would wear chest protection though. I have definitely considered lightweight shin guards, that seems to be where I hit when I go down.
Are you on flats? If so, definitely need guards. One of my friends took a one foot cut down his shin, lots of stitches as a result. I now wear shin guards religiously when on flats. Which is most of my riding at the moment
Old 06-06-19, 01:46 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
after a cpl falls was gonna try knee pads, but recently tried some XL at a consignment shop & they were ridiculously tight to put on. either I get XXXL or don't
Are they bike specific knee pads. You really can go with roller blade type guards as they are not meant for the pedaling motion. It took me 5 purchases before finding the right knee/shin protection. Still looking for elbows which don't slide. Everybody's built different, really need to try them yourself
Old 06-06-19, 01:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Are they bike specific knee pads. You really can go with roller blade type guards as they are not meant for the pedaling motion. It took me 5 purchases before finding the right knee/shin protection. Still looking for elbows which don't slide. Everybody's built different, really need to try them yourself
oh yeah absolutely. they were the G-Form Pro-X Knee Pads. I didn't take a photo of the PKG but I'm pretty sure they were marked XL. looking at them on Amazon I see there might be a XXL (somewhere). thanks
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-06-19, 05:05 PM
Leebo

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh yeah absolutely. they were the G-Form Pro-X Knee Pads. I didn't take a photo of the PKG but I'm pretty sure they were marked XL. looking at them on Amazon I see there might be a XXL (somewhere). thanks
Yup. XXL g form guy here, light weight, stay put. The idea is that the foam hardens on impact. Had my grumpy teen age daughter take a nice sized stick and take a few swings at my legs. Work well, she did not hold back.
Likes For Leebo: