Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sight seeing

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 01:19 PM
Talkinghalls

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sight seeing

In the next few years my wife and I will be traveling "somewhere," we are looking for a place in the continental US that has some scenic bicycle routes.

My question to every one is what is the most amazing place you've ridden your bike, also bonus points for photos.
Old 02-28-17, 01:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
In the U.S., probably the west slope of Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GNP1.jpg (98.3 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-28-17 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 03:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Togwotee Pass, going up 287 from Lander and Dubois towards the Tetons. Actually you can't see anything from the top, so go down on the west half a mile.
Attached Images
p7121045.jpg (91.5 KB, 194 views)
Old 02-28-17, 03:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pacific Coast, I live There.
Old 02-28-17, 03:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I've not ridden on the Shafer Trail near Moab but I hope to in the next few years.

Old 02-28-17, 04:36 PM
Talkinghalls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy cow these are amazing, I am putting these on my bucket list.
Old 02-28-17, 07:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
In Canada ...

In the US ... the whole Utah/Arizona area (Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc. etc.) is great. We've done a little bit of cycling there but would like to go back sometime and spend a few weeks.
Old 02-28-17, 07:33 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In the U.S., probably the west slope of Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park.
Unfortunately, way too congested now days for responsible bike riding in my opinion. Unless early morning or evening after the crowds are off the road. Loved it there in the 90s but now everyone goes there, it's so crowded.

Totally beautiful though, without a doubt. I go there pretty much annually.

More views :

And if you're lucky one of these may encourage you to work on your sprints. :-)

Last edited by jamesdak; 02-28-17 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 08:27 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Unfortunately, way too congested now days for responsible bike riding in my opinion. Unless early morning or evening after the crowds are off the road.
The last time (2009) we left Sprague Creek Campground at around 5:30 a.m. No traffic. The road was only opened to the Big Bend, but when we got there a ranger said it was supposed to open up in an hour so we waited. It did and we made it all the way up. Second time was June 16th, 2000. Not much traffic at all, especially since it was raining pretty hard. First time (June 16th, 1999) we were the first bikes up to and over the pass the day it was officially open. The visitor center was still buried in snow and there was no place to pull off.

Screw traffic. I pay a lot more in taxes than your average person. I am going to take full advantage of where that money goes. It's bad enough that one person on a bike pays more/person than a family of 2+ arriving in a car.

BTW...A bear did run across my path while I was descending in 2000.
Attached Images
35XC-14A-056-PS.jpg (99.2 KB, 157 views)
35XC-22B-28B-144-PS.jpg (99.6 KB, 158 views)
35XC-22B-28B-146-PS.jpg (98.6 KB, 158 views)
Old 02-28-17, 08:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The last time (2009) we left Sprague Creek Campground at around 5:30 a.m. No traffic. The road was only opened to the Big Bend, but when we got there a ranger said it was supposed to open up in an hour so we waited. It did and we made it all the way up. Second time was June 16th, 2000. Not much traffic at all, especially since it was raining pretty hard. First time (June 16th, 1999) we were the first bikes up to and over the pass the day it was officially open. The visitor center was still buried in snow and there was no place to pull off.

Screw traffic. I pay a lot more in taxes than your average person. I am going to take full advantage of where that money goes. It's bad enough that one person on a bike pays more/person than a family of 2+ arriving in a car.

BTW...A bear did run across my path while I was descending in 2000.
Yeah, I hear you. But it has been really crowded the last several years. To the point they are thinking of limiting cars per day, restricting cars, etc. They have midday bike restrictions too during the main season. But start at sunup and it shouldn't be too bad most days. Just don't plan on being on the road during the midday.

And check construction before you go. The last two years the east side has been tore up to just gravel for long sections. Even if your bike is ok on gravel the dust from the cars will choke you to death. I think they are supposed to be finished but I'm not sure.

Not sure about the fees you mentioned. I'm a disabled vet so I get in for free to all the National Parks.
Old 02-28-17, 09:51 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
In the US ... the whole Utah/Arizona area (Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Arches, etc. etc.) is great. We've done a little bit of cycling there but would like to go back sometime and spend a few weeks.
I'm going back to Moab as soon as my youngest is off to college.

Would like to get into your hemisphere at some point.

-Tim-
Old 03-01-17, 07:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Sight seeing
Originally Posted by Talkinghalls
In the next few years my wife and I will be traveling "somewhere," we are looking for a place in the continental US that has some scenic bicycle routes.

My question to every one is what is the most amazing place you've ridden your bike, also bonus points for photos.
Frankly, I think this is a rather empty-headed request, but I’ll reply. Recently on the Touring Forum was this similar but slightly more detailed query, Suggestions for next epic ride" It did have some epic (scenic) suggestions.
Originally Posted by alans
Thinking ahead to the summer, anywhere from June to August, and trying to come up with an "epic ride in an awesome location" list. OK, that's a bit of a joke, but you know what I mean, hopefully. East coast of the US is my starting point, and the farthest I really want to fly is Europe or anywhere in North America.

The main constraint is time, which allows for about 9 days of riding, plus time to get there and back. Also, I don't really want to spend much time in urban areas, and prefer most of the time riding in beautiful surroundings (who doesn't, right?). Also, not into roughing it, dealing with bad weather or critters, or seeing some obscure locations. Easy to get there and back is a must. Cost is not a factor, but I do like camping, so at least an opportunity to stay in campgrounds some of the time would be ideal…...

I know that's a lot to choose from, and surely there are many other places that fit the criteria. What are your thoughts or suggestions?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When I first read the title of this thread, I too thought of larger-than-life tours such as a cross-country ride. It seems incongruous to do an epic ride in just nine days, and such an attempt at some of the rides suggested seems pretty stressful to me at least. Might not a simple, easily accomplished "getaway" be memorable (epic) in its own right, like the famous travel song:

Let's take a boat to Bermuda
Let's take a plane to Saint Paul.
Let's take a kayak to Quincy or Nyack,
Let's get away from it all.

Let's take a trip in a trailer
No need to come back at all.
Let's take a powder to Boston for chowder,
Let's get away from it all.

Personally. I'm very happy cycling in Metro Boston, and have posted an informal Cycling Guide to Metro Boston that would make a nice hub and spoke tour of nine days (and is easily accessible from Washington, DC). It may seem parochial, but I think the cycling around here is great. One can be in scenic countryside within about one hour from downtown, while passing through an interesting, compact urban and suburban scene.

Furthermore you can extend your range with a convenient Commuter Rail that allows fully-assembled bikes during off-peak hours. In Spring through Fall it’s a temperate climate.Besides the cycling, Boston is such a popular tourist destination that there will always be something interesting to do off the bike…culture, nightlife, sports and so forth...

BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-01-17 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-01-17, 09:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Unfortunately, way too congested now days for responsible bike riding in my opinion. Unless early morning or evening after the crowds are off the road. Loved it there in the 90s but now everyone goes there, it's so crowded.

Are you advocating cyclists self-impose even more restrictions than the 10-4 get off the road bicycle regulations on the west side of Going-to-the-Sun road?

Totally beautiful though, without a doubt. I go there pretty much annually.

Stay home this year, why doncha, give somebody else a chance!
Old 03-01-17, 05:22 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Are you advocating cyclists self-impose even more restrictions than the 10-4 get off the road bicycle regulations on the west side of Going-to-the-Sun road?

Not at all, I just wish there was a way to ease the congestion. I want to ride the whole route end to end but it's so freaking busy now I won't consider it. I will say that pretty much daily cyclist ignore (or maybe don't know) that they need to pull over and allow cars to go by when they are stacked up behind them. I think the rules there say 4 cars but most seem to be ignoring that from what I have seen.

And right now I've only got reservations at Yellowstone this year. GNP was booked up....
Old 03-02-17, 10:17 AM
Talkinghalls

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Sight seeing
Frankly, I think this is a rather empty-headed request, but I’ll reply. Recently on the Touring Forum was this similar but slightly more detailed query, Suggestions for next epic ride" It did have some epic (scenic) suggestions.

This fall my brother and I will ride from one Indiana State Park to the next, should be some pretty neat sights. I'll be sure to post as many photos as I can.

My wife and I are musing the idea of going out west to Las Vegas area and spending some time riding through Red Canyon, but Boston does sound pretty neat as well, do you have any photos of the scenic sights?
Old 03-02-17, 11:34 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Never bike toured there before, but spent a lot of time there in college (and my uncle frequently bike tours it): Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Lots of sights, wide variety of roads and trails for any bike and riding style, and little traffic.
Old 03-02-17, 11:46 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb
The times I have ridden there (mid and late June) the traffic has been pretty darn light. I have set out from Sprague Creek very early. (It's light enough to ride without a headlight by about 5 a.m.) The RV/driving crowd is usually still fast asleep. One time the weather was chilly and rainy, so I think that kept whatever early birders there were off the road. As for descending the west side later in the day/afternoon, I have had to slow down thanks to cars in front of me. Maybe there should be a rule that cars have to pull over if they are impeding bikes.

In any event, the Black Hills, including the Mickelson Trail and Needles Highway, are a nice place to explore by bike (go in mid-June to beat most of the tourist traffic) is a nice place to explore by bike:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...57655263744881

So is SW Montana:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...h/27402606314/
Attached Images
buffalo.jpg (95.7 KB, 62 views)
cattle drive.jpg (97.2 KB, 62 views)
Old 03-02-17, 08:28 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
These pictures make me realize how lucky we are to live where there are scenes like this.
Old 03-03-17, 04:56 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
sight seeing on dirt trails is different than sight seeing on paved trails. If you want paved and somewhat scenic you can go to the Va capitol trail, start in Richmond and you have some historic sights to mill around. Then head east towards Jamestown and their is all the settlement stuff to meander about if you want. In between are some plantations etc...
Old 03-03-17, 08:12 AM
Nai4257

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Absolute 1.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive always really enjoyed the C&O canal. the trail starts in cumberland maryland and ends in washington d.c resulting in about 180 mile bike trip? i think. but sometime over the last few years they opened the GAP trail from pittsburgh down to cumberland so you can go straight from pittsburgh PA to washington d.c. i love that trail and have many memories
Old 03-03-17, 08:24 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Nai4257
but sometime over the last few years they opened the GAP trail from pittsburgh down to cumberland

Been open for a while. I rode it back in 2013 as part of a Pittsburgh to Philly tour. I found the northern portion to Connellsville somewhat boring. It's gets better and better the farther south you get.

Are you aware that, after many years of lobbying efforts, Amtrak recently instituted carry-on bike service on the Capitol Limited from D.C. through Pittsburgh and all the way to Chicago? No boxing of the bike required, and you can get on and off at any station along the way. So now people can, say, take the train from D.C. to Pittsburgh with their bikes and ride back to where they started on the GAP and C&O. Space is limited to 5 bikes per train IIRC, so reservations far in advance during busy times are probably a good idea.
Old 03-03-17, 08:28 AM
Nai4257

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Absolute 1.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea i wasnt sure when it opened first time i rode the C&O canal was 2009 and i remember it being a big deal in pittsburgh that they were connecting the trails.