Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Top tube mounts

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 08:35 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Dark Speed Works

These are about the best I've seen
Old 05-09-19, 07:01 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
I bought this bag and really wanted to like it. However, a rough 100 miles at Land Run ruined the bag.

The problem is that it's impossible to get the bolts tightened securely enough to keep them from backing out while riding rough roads. The bolt is tightened using a 2mm allen wrench inserted into the side of the bolt.

During Land Run, the bolts backed out about half way and then wedged themselves between the slide mechanism and bag itself which made it impossible to remove the bag without tearing it.

Good news is that I did get a refund from Apidura (great customer service)

Great feedback. Thank you. I'm an Apidura fan but their products are not perfect. Some are outstanding.

A 2 mm bolt head does seem pretty feeble.

-Tim-
Old 05-09-19, 08:29 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been using Revelate's Mag-Tank bolt on bag, and the bolt on connections with the top tube seem pretty secure, for anyone wondering. When shopping for a bolt on bag, I was surprised how few of them are out there. I guess the bag market hasn't quite caught up with how prevalent the top tube bosses are becoming.

Anyway, I like the bag overall. The magnetic clasp seems a bit finicky, but I haven't had much time with it, so hopefully I'll figure out methods of securing it so that it doesn't become unclasped during a ride.
Old 05-13-19, 07:27 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Has anyone seen a bento-style pepper spray system? To use on dogs, and people. Or a dog whistle? I've heard those work too.
Old 05-13-19, 09:12 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Has anyone seen a bento-style pepper spray system? To use on dogs, and people. Or a dog whistle? I've heard those work too.
You could just put a bottle cage in the bento box mount and then get a pepper spray can or air horn and put it in there with a hose or something that you can aim
Old 06-02-19, 08:23 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Until I bought my Salsa Mukluk I’d never seen top tube mounts. Although I probably wouldn’t use one on a road bike, I like the utility provided for touring, adventure, fat and mountain bikes. I put a Salsa bag on my Mukluk and find it very useful, just wish it was black instead of grey.

Last edited by Dr.Lou; 06-02-19 at 08:45 PM.
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 06-03-19, 12:31 AM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I like how things that are unacceptable on the road are fine and even encouraged on gravel. I have aero bars, a top tube bag and a gigantic saddle bag (three tubes, multi tool, and a first aid kid and some other bits) on my gravel bike; I'd never be caught dead with that crap on my road bike.

No mirrors on anything though.
^^^^^^^^^
Same here!