Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Severe Weather Apparel

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Severe Weather Apparel

Old 03-19-19, 07:22 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Severe Weather Apparel

I know Winter is about to come to a close but I thought I should pass along the best Severe Cold Weather Apparel I have ever found. The Jacket is an Helly Hansen Jacket called the Vanir Slidr Jacket. It is an Outer Shell with no Liner that has very high Windproofness and Waterproofness. The Technical Data giving the Ratings is on their Website. Being a Shell you do not have the Bulkiness and remains flexible with high mobility. You layer under it for the appropriate weather conditions. I went out on a ride on the Lake Front on the Levee in high humidity with the tempertature 26 degrees and the wind at 10 to 15 mph with a Tesla Compression Shirt (Great Shirt), a light Helly Hansen Base Layer and the Jacket. Not only was I not Cold with the temperature on the Lake lower then the general forecast, but was very comfortable with no claminess.

The Pant that goes with the Jacket is called the Odin Skarstind Pant. It is as good as the Jacket. Highly Windproof and Highly Waterproof while still being flexible and mobile. They are rather snugg, not baggy, but they are cut so naturally they still give you the freedom of movement to even ride with. Like the Jacket, they have Polimyde Fabric in the Wear Areas and the Wind Areas and a lighter fabric outside of that for Breathability. Great Jacket and Pant that functions and looks Great too.

Old 03-19-19, 09:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I lucked into a pre-owned Marmott windproof jacket this fall that worked out great for cycling!
Old 03-19-19, 09:43 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I got a Columbia shell jacket on clearance discount and it kept me completely dry during some rain this winter. just made it through its second winter.
Old 03-19-19, 09:44 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I lucked into a pre-owned Marmott windproof jacket this fall that worked out great for cycling!
Marmott is supposed to make pretty good stuff. The key I think is to get a bulletproof Breathable, Windproof, Waterproof Shell and layer under it.

Old 03-19-19, 09:49 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by parkbrav
I got a Columbia shell jacket on clearance discount and it kept me completely dry during some rain this winter. just made it through its second winter.
Sounds good.These things are Bulletproof. For the most Severe Conditions. Could save you. That Polimyde Fabric is incredible
Old 03-19-19, 11:31 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I looked into this thirty five years ago and it's called either a house or apartment.
Old 03-19-19, 12:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by mjac
Marmott is supposed to make pretty good stuff. The key I think is to get a bulletproof Breathable, Windproof, Waterproof Shell and layer under it.
I agree. & I'm glad to also have enormous pit zips for ventilation. sadly the Marmott isn't also good for rain-rain, but a little drizzle or misting for an hour or so is OK. I haven't tried it in steady cuz I have a rain jacket. maybe some day I'll try it out walking around for a little while & see what happens. don't want to risk it on a ride far from shelter
Old 03-19-19, 12:37 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I looked into this thirty five years ago and it's called either a house or apartment.
While you are riding? Neat trick. I would like to see that.
Old 03-19-19, 12:43 PM
mjac

I agree. & I'm glad to also have enormous pit zips for ventilation. sadly the Marmott isn't also good for rain-rain, but a little drizzle or misting for an hour or so is OK. I haven't tried it in steady cuz I have a rain jacket. maybe some day I'll try it out walking around for a little while & see what happens. don't want to risk it on a ride far from shelter
An Outdoor Jacket or Pant that is not Breathable, Windproof and Waterproof is of very limited use. You have to be ready for the unexpected.
Old 03-19-19, 12:49 PM
mjac

"I don't know everything...I have just been at it long enough to know why it is probably messed up."

The man who knows everything, knows nothing...Socrates
Old 03-19-19, 12:54 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by mjac
An Outdoor Jacket or Pant that is not Breathable, Windproof and Waterproof is of very limited use. You have to be ready for the unexpected.

I agree. I got the Marmott from a consignment shop, so didn't really know much about it. I paid $50. from the manufacturer: WINDSTOPPER® fabrics offer windproof and breathability, combining the comfort of a soft mid-layer and the water resistance of a shell in one garment. I should test it more harshly ...

it's not cycling specific, but fits me comfortably while riding

I don't bike commute anymore so I have the luxury of custom tuning my attire for each ride

where did you get your new jacket & how is the fit? I see it on Amazon, yikes! $400. for Ivy Green? but if it's great then you'll get your money's worth!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-19-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 01:58 PM
mjac

I agree. I got the Marmott from a consignment shop, so didn't really know much about it. I paid $50. from the manufacturer: WINDSTOPPER® fabrics offer windproof and breathability, combining the comfort of a soft mid-layer and the water resistance of a shell in one garment. I should test it more harshly ...

it's not cycling specific, but fits me comfortably while riding

I don't bike commute anymore so I have the luxury of custom tuning my attire for each ride

where did you get your new jacket & how is the fit? I see it on Amazon, yikes! $400. for Ivy Green? but if it's great then you'll get your money's worth!
Marmott makes good stuff and at $50 you got a Steal. But an Outdoor Jacket has to be Waterproof, Windproof and Breathable for Comfort. Anything can happen Outdoors. Sounds like a Great Utility Jacket.

Helly Hansen's Stuff is Overpriced. But it is a Great Jacket and Pant if not a little Overpriced. But I got the Jacket on Clearance for $185 and the Pant on Clearance for $135 which is normally about $200. You have got to go on Helly Hansens Website in between Seasons, like I did Winter/Fall, and look for Clearances on their High End Stuff. Their Functional Apparell, not so much their Urban Wear, is Really Great.

The fit is the Best Part. The Jacket and the Pant fit a little Snug.I thought at first they would be too tight since I like a loose fit for mobility. But they are cut so well, so naturally, they move with you. So you have Great Mobility, even for Cycling, with no Bagginess.
Old 03-19-19, 02:03 PM
mjac

I also had a $150 Credit for a Warranty Return. So the Decision was easy. Now I have something I can go into the most Severe Weather with total Confidence. Their is something Gratifying about that.
Old 03-19-19, 02:09 PM
rumrunn6

big fan here of sales & shopping between "seasons". does the hood fit under your helmet?
Old 03-19-19, 02:43 PM
mjac

X

big fan here of sales & shopping between "seasons". does the hood fit under your helmet?
Don't wear a Helmet. Can't stand them. Would not wear it under a Helmet though. The Hood is Huge and infinitely adjunstable, I would just open it up and wear it over the Helmet like I do with the Cap I ride with. Doubt if it would fit under a Helmet. This Fabric is really thick. It is something called 3 layer nylon Professional Grade. It is their top of the line severe weather jacket. The Pant too.
Old 03-20-19, 08:26 AM
rumrunn6

Ah, OK, interesting. my Showers Pass pants are really thick too (& expensive). I do wear a helmet, that's why I asked. for years I used a cheap clear motel style shower cap over my helmet for rain or even wet snow. was eyeballing a Showers Pass hood that you can buy separately. it's cycling specific & can be work under a hood. never bought it tho. this year, been experimenting (just twice) with one of their helmet covers, that has a cap-like brim in front & a long tail in back like a classic "Gloucester Fisherman". it's a bit goofy looking but when it's pouring or blizzardy, it seems practical