Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading XLIX

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 01:57 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
Yeah, that's a bit weird. I agree cash is king for this sort of transaction. Watch your back, hope you're meeting in a public place.
Chevron gas station near my house that always has lots of customers and will have my husband with me again.
Old 05-07-19, 07:30 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

He never responded to my reply to him about when to Meet. So I am not there. Guessing he was somehow going to try and rip me off?
Old 05-08-19, 08:36 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Turns out today is my 4 year "Stravaversary." I logged my first ride with a Garmin 500 on this day, 2015. My first day on the bike was actually January 18, 2015, but I was using a succession of old-timey non-GPS computers for the first couple of months.

And as they say, Strava or it didn't happen.
Old 05-08-19, 11:53 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Well, I've had an interesting week.... I'm in Seattle for some meetings with my team. On the way to the distribution center on Tuesday, 3 of us stopped at a starbucks in a safeway to grab some coffee... we were in the store for about 2 min, came out and our backpacks were gone. Store manager has video, said there was a guy parked opposite us (so we were nose to nose apparently) who hopped out of his car when we were about 50 feet from ours, got in and grabbed 2 of the bags.

Not a ton of useful stuff for a casual thief but holy crap is it going to cost me a fortune to replace it all... I'll call the insurance people tomorrow. Work already replaced the laptop (woo hoo, upgrade!)

I already hit best buy to replace a few things so I won't have to listen to screaming babies on the way home tomorrow but... *sigh* I have a ton of work to recreate.

Screw you Seattle! (technically, Des Moines... not a great part of town to be sure)

Can't wait to get back to good old safe southern CA tomorrow.
Old 05-09-19, 10:04 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
@TrojanHorse it's still misting/raining here so you're not missing anything.

At least you have a new laptop. Mine has been sitting in IT dept's bench for 6 weeks now
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 05-09-19, 11:54 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

the feeling of wishing my legs would cramp so I'd have a reason to walk. Double Peaks Park, 16% grade hill 127 miles into the ride...it hurt

Old 05-09-19, 03:40 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Lookin' like you're suffering, there @jsigone. Good thumbs up despite the pain.

Sorry to hear about the theft @TrojanHorse. I use OneDrive, so even if working on my laptop while traveling, assuming I've got wifi, my work is backed up to the cloud (where the tech companies, Russians and Chinese can steal it).

10-4 on the SoCal weather, they are taking "May Grey" way too literally. I wanna see the sun again!
Old 05-10-19, 10:27 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Lookin' like you're suffering, there @jsigone. Good thumbs up despite the pain.

Sorry to hear about the theft @TrojanHorse. I use OneDrive, so even if working on my laptop while traveling, assuming I've got wifi, my work is backed up to the cloud (where the tech companies, Russians and Chinese can steal it).

10-4 on the SoCal weather, they are taking "May Grey" way too literally. I wanna see the sun again!
Nice going Jeff!

We're moving to OneDrive... you'd think they'd move before eliminating the old solution. AY CARUMBA!
Old 05-11-19, 05:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Headed west toward Glendora as I had been planning for the past few weeks, but with the OCW cancellation of the GMR/Baldy ride, I had zero desire to climb that hill solo again. Continued west to Irwindale, turned around at mile 50 and ended the day with about 104 miles. Weather was fantastic. The Topeak MidLoader bag is now one of my favorite things, 6L of space that's easily accessible while the bike is moving is really nice to have. Left the house around 50º, and as it warmed into the 70s, all the stuff (arm warmers, full-finger gloves, shoe covers) went in the bag. Also carried enough food for a ride double the length.

Strava had me doubting my computer, my rollout measurement, everything. Because after a ride logs, I go to "create route" to see if I got robbed on altitude, and the distance is invariably less than what I've logged. But that's more of Strava's idiocy, because I passed The Donut Man on Route 66 at mile 41.4 (I remember, because I had to convince myself not to stop and fill up on donuts.) Strava has it at about the 39.5 mile mark. Google Maps has it at 41.3 miles. Strava also decided to add a full five minutes to my moving time. I guess just because.
Old 05-11-19, 07:55 PM
jimincalif

What’s frustrating about our cancelled GMR ride, as late as the 6:00 pm news last night Fritz was all about the thunderstorms happening in the mountains, as had been the forecast all week. But by the 11:00 pm broadcast, he was all fuggedaboutit, not happening. Inside slider was sliding offshore north of us and would then go south and east, missing us entirely. Too late for ride organizers. I think weather folks inside slider models need quite a bit of work.

Beautiful day here in the OC for a ride, actually got quite warm, about 78 and more sunshine than we’ve had in a week. While I was eating breakfast this morning it was drizzling slightly in our back yard, but it was not drizzling in the front. Go figure.

Did about 55 miles today and completely wiped myself out, don’t remember when I’ve felt this way after a ride. Last 10 miles home sucked. Figure it’s a combination of eating low carb, and riding 3x during the week for 67 miles, more than I usually do mid week. Hopefully I’ll recover enough to ride tomorrow. I upped my carbs a bit yesterday and now today in anticipation of riding this weekend, so we will see.
Old 05-11-19, 08:09 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I don't mess with the low-carb. I don't know if it's possible to put in 200+ a week and cut carbs at the same time. I ate just right during the ride, didn't get home ravenously hungry (as I usually would,) and the intake was moderate:

Mile 20, Hostess Apple Streusel Coffee Cake, 160kcal
Mile 40, Clif Blueberry Crisp, 250kcal
Mile 60, Klatch Coffe Patio Special (340kcal) and blueberry muffin (400kcal)
Mile 80, chocolate milk (400kcal) and Fig Newtons (150kcal)

So ~1,700kcal for the whole affair, moving time of 5h50m, about 280kcal/hr. Certainly the best intake planning I've done to date, on pretty much any ride. The hit of warmth at the end, I should have taken in another full bottle, I only drank ~75oz and felt pretty dried out by the end. I know I should shoot for 1oz per mile, but I can't be expected to remember 2 things at once. That's simply too much.
Old 05-11-19, 09:07 PM
jimincalif

That is good for a ride like that, nice.

TLDR - I’m not doing low carb as a fad weight loss attempt.

Now the TMI part:

I’m trying low carb because I think my body is somewhat insulin resistant, hence my type 2 diabetes. With my cycling and 20# weight loss over the last 5 years I’ve cut my metformin dosage by 75%. But I’ve not been under 200# since 1977, and given my historical diet, weight (was 275 in 1999-2000, low carb got me down 35# then) and family history of type 2 (mother) i need to try something. Things have been pretty stable for the last 3 years which is good, but can I do better? From my research it seems my body likely has enough insulin, in fact carbs and sugar elevating it make my cells less sensitive to it, so then the blood glucose stays up, which then triggers more insulin. Perhaps aggravating it is my standard weekday breakfast of a protein shake and banana. Whey protein apparently has a direct insulin producing effect on the pancreas, which lowers blood glucose. But what if glucose is not the real issue, but instead insulin resistance? Then the answer is not to lower the glucose but address what is causing it to elevate.

It’s complicated and confusing, and I’m a bean counter, not a dr or nutritionist, so it is challenging to research. And there is lots of conflicting information, so I have to read everything with a critical eye. It’s amazing how many articles from “reputable” sources will make a statement about the cause/effect of something with no footnote or other cite to some data to back it up. In my business when someone asks a question, I provide my answer with a cite to applicable law and/regulations.

I’m hoping to find something that has a positive impact. And this stuff all correlates with high blood pressure, which I also have and has been completely immune to improvement from cycling.
Old 05-12-19, 06:24 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Well the original guy kept bugging me and bought wheels yesterday for cash. Still have the “Race” wheels up fir sale

picked up my Sidi shoes. I have ordered some Sidi insoles for better comfort. I also got Ultegra SPD-SL pedals. Going to try that pedal style out again and see if I find things to be better for my feet.
Old 05-13-19, 11:20 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

sold my old racer MTB, cannondale F29 w/ lefty to a friend at church.....whooohoo one less bike in the stable!!
Old 05-15-19, 04:03 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
San Diego Century is this Saturday. I haven't ridden it in 6 or 7 years, signed up for it the last 3 but something always got in the way. But I retired at the end of last year and started training in January, made good progress until I screwed up and got another job. Hoping to finish the ride (keeping my goals realistic) and hoping to maybe not be the last one to finish, but if that's how it works out, so be it, because I'm not going to spend another year saying to myself "I wish I had ridden the SD Century this year."

Hoping to capture the whole thing on the GoPro again. If things really go poorly it'll give them something to watch at the funeral.
Old 05-15-19, 04:14 PM
jimincalif

Good luck in San Diego. I've got a rental bike reserved in Boise for a ride with my son, but now the forecast says rain. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
Old 05-15-19, 04:21 PM
giffenf

Bikes: Specialized Aethos Pro, Donnelly G//C, Trek Fuel EX 9.8, Medici Pro Strada, Centurion Super LeMans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1,221 Times in 296 Posts
Thanks. The weather's supposed to top out at 71 degrees in Ramona, so overheating and dehydration won't be (much of) a risk.
Old 05-15-19, 05:26 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The first 13 or so miles of this morning's ride. Turned on a podcast, set the Bolt to the map screen, and played a solo round of "don't cross the lines."

Ended up being like 1,900ft of ascent in those miles.
Old 05-15-19, 07:48 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

TLDR - I’m not doing low carb as a fad weight loss attempt.
Good luck! I started tracking my food again - it's too easy to back slide when I stop riding as much... and it's hard in a hotel room, ugh. Anyway, it's astounding how many calories bread has. Astounding and sad, because I love bread. Might have to give it up for the foreseeable future, just to keep my ass size in check until my travel schedule lightens up.
Old 05-15-19, 09:07 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Good luck! ... it's astounding how many calories bread has. Astounding and sad, because I love bread. Might have to give it up for the foreseeable future, just to keep my ass size in check until my travel schedule lightens up.
Thanks. Yeah, bread, and tortillas, right? And it’s so convenient, sandwiches, burrritos, wraps, BLTs, etc. I love burritos.
Old 05-15-19, 11:05 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by giffenf
Thanks. The weather's supposed to top out at 71 degrees in Ramona, so overheating and dehydration won't be (much of) a risk.
I did the metric course last yr but started from home so was still a century and I did it on a silly single-speed. Really glad I didn’t have to climb to Ramona on that thing

good course, good sag stops. Have fun! I plan to do SDBC and extra credit to Oceanside n back.
Old 05-16-19, 06:44 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Thanks. Yeah, bread, and tortillas, right? And it’s so convenient, sandwiches, burrritos, wraps, BLTs, etc. I love burritos.
Me too! Burritos are the perfect food delivery system.

Btw, I had a burrito out here in Dallas that was called a "california" burrito and it had freaking french fries in it. I have never heard of such a thing. I googled it and sure enough, it's a thing but I reject it as a california food item on account of never having heard of it in actual california... anybody else have an opinion on the matter?
Old 05-16-19, 07:02 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

There's a tiny little burrito joint called Albaro's at the end of my street-- you know, the legit kind, where they make their own tortillas and you can get nopales, lengua, tripa, etc. My hands-down favorite burrito is the Highland Burrito, which is carne asada, pico de gallo, cheese, and... potatoes. Most burrito joints out here, even the ones that have been around for decades (like El Burrito, Rosa Marias, or Cuca's) operate on the basic variations of meat-bean-rice-cheese.

Del Taco has a steak and potato burrito, and the potatoes are indeed french fries-- I don't think they have any other potato items on their menu. I don't count this, as Del Taco is not mexican food by any measurement. I still love Del Taco, but I recognize it for what it is.
Old 05-16-19, 07:28 AM
jimincalif

Properly executed, potatoes can work in a burrito. I remember BITD I used to get a beef and potato burrito somewhere that was quite good. But I agree, it is not a specific California thing. French fries in everything is sort of a Peruvian food thing. Usually when you get outside of CA, restaurants add a bit of avocado to anything and label it “California”. About the only thing I haven’t seen California-ized with avocado is a chocolate milk shake.

But, trying to limit to low glycemic type carbs, potatoes in a burrito just makes it worse!

And what’s really ironic, I’m getting on a plane in a few hours to fly to Idaho to go house hunting. Yeah, Idaho - Famous Potatoes!
Old 05-16-19, 10:15 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The first 13 or so miles of this morning's ride. Turned on a podcast, set the Bolt to the map screen, and played a solo round of "don't cross the lines."

Ended up being like 1,900ft of ascent in those miles.
map looks something I use to do while running, to get more distance in w/o really getting more distance in away from home. Trick I used when wife was preggo and needed to be on call close to home. Amazing how much distance cul de sacs and side street stuff can add.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.