Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Why I didn't ride today!

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Why I didn't ride today!

Old 08-10-10, 07:50 AM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why I didn't ride today!

Also known as the "excuse" thread....

Yesterday I didn't ride because the hot water handle blew off of my kitchen sink spraying hot water all over the place. That happened just before I normally go out on my evening ride. So instead of a ride I drove to Home Depot and got a new faucet.

Anyway.... I'll rate this excuse as a +1 .... Feel free to chime in with your own excuses..... hahah
Old 08-11-10, 09:11 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Bikes: 2000 Maruishi frameset w/Ultegra for the pavement, Trek 6000 for offroad and commuting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I already mentioned this in the "Did you ride today" thread, but I'll put it here for completeness' sake

I lost my ride time week Thursday before last when I got home from work, changed into my riding duds, and noticed that it was 90+F inside the house, even after I'd turned the a/c back down (our util bill crossed $500 a couple months back, and the wife's been turning the thermostat way up when no one's home during the day). After some really unpleasant troubleshooting found that the disconnect switch to the compressor had melted. So instead of riding it was off to Lowes to get a new disconnect & box and install it.
Old 08-11-10, 11:47 AM
abracapocus

Bikes: '95 Specialized Hard Rock, '03 (?) Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha, this thread is funny.

No ride today, I drove in to work. But I scored a trunk rack off of freecycle so it was worth it! Plus gotta pick up cat food and other bulky stuff after work. I plan to ride in tomorrow though. My knees were also bothering me after I got home yesterday. I'm going to fiddle with the seat height and see if that helps.
Old 08-11-10, 05:31 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I have to NOT ride so I can post here again...... ohhhhh wait i'm posting now and I did ride.....
Old 08-13-10, 10:23 AM
sseaman

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see, my 5am ride was ruined when I checked the crackberry to realize 9 servers at work were down, and the idiot on call hadn't done anything. So I hop in the car run downtown to open the door and get hit by 100+ degree heat, the a/c was out in the server room. I was bummed I was really wanting to ride.
Old 08-13-10, 11:06 AM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sseaman
Let's see, my 5am ride was ruined when I checked the crackberry to realize 9 servers at work were down, and the idiot on call hadn't done anything. So I hop in the car run downtown to open the door and get hit by 100+ degree heat, the a/c was out in the server room. I was bummed I was really wanting to ride.
As soon as I read 5am.... That was a good enough excuse (I mean reason) for ME NOT to ride... eeeeeeeeeecks.... 5am........ The servers being down that just made your reason for not riding over the top...
Old 08-13-10, 11:56 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Bikes: 2000 Maruishi frameset w/Ultegra for the pavement, Trek 6000 for offroad and commuting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had my hoped-for 25 miles cut back to 14 yesterday by playing Good Samaritan. Some college student was chasing his runaway dog down the street and I stopped to help try to corral the critter, who promptly vanished into the undergrowth in a patch of woods. After hobbling around on cleats in the high grass for a while I agreed to stay put while he jogged home and gathered up his car and some more warm bodies, just in case the pooch reappeared. No such luck, so when he returned with his friends, I took my leave. Less than an hour to sunset meant I had to cut short the ride. Dang.
Old 08-13-10, 05:45 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why I didn't ride today....

It is Friday the 13th and I am not taking any chances
Old 08-13-10, 05:53 PM
CaMiami
A Miami State of Mind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjc9640
Why I didn't ride today....

It is Friday the 13th and I am not taking any chances
Almost did the same thing, but thought better of it and did a lap of Key Biscayne.
Old 08-13-10, 07:54 PM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I teleworked today, so no commute. Plus I needed the break. Took a different way home Thursday and it turned out to be really hilly. So much for taking it easy on my knees.
Old 08-14-10, 04:39 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My intention was to do a club ride with the Florida Freewheelers today but about 1:00 am this morning I woke up with body chills that I could not contrrol. My body was very warm but I felt like I was freezing. My wife fixed hot coffee for me and kept me covered with about 4 blankets. She kept telling me that my body was very very hot but I litterly felt like I was freezing. I had this same thing last November and it cost me about 5 days in the hospital. I have been trying to do some research on the internet but I haven't come up with a good answer yet. I was able to get back to sleep about 6 this morning and every joint in my body hurts so I will not be riding tomorrow either. Monday may be a trip to the Dr. office.
Old 08-14-10, 09:46 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My intention was to do a club ride with the Florida Freewheelers today but about 1:00 am this morning I woke up with body chills that I could not contrrol. My body was very warm but I felt like I was freezing. My wife fixed hot coffee for me and kept me covered with about 4 blankets. She kept telling me that my body was very very hot but I litterly felt like I was freezing. I had this same thing last November and it cost me about 5 days in the hospital. I have been trying to do some research on the internet but I haven't come up with a good answer yet. I was able to get back to sleep about 6 this morning and every joint in my body hurts so I will not be riding tomorrow either. Monday may be a trip to the Dr. office.
Get better fast, because your part of my daily motivation!! All kidding aside though I hope you get a good nights sleep and are feeling better Sunday!!

<wonders how (Linda N/Lindaosm) is doing.... If she had her knee surgery yet?>

Last edited by zzOtherlandzz; 08-14-10 at 09:49 PM. Reason: forgot stuff again....
Old 08-16-10, 06:45 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope My last non-ride day was 8/9/10 .... Didn't ride today, had to take my mom to a doc appointment at 3:15. Pay a couple of bills.. and then..... ahhh Walmart for grocery shopping. By the time we left walmart I could have got a 1/2hr ride in before dark.. But didn't feel like getting all ready for only 1/2hr ride... <sigh> Tomorrow is another day....
Old 08-16-10, 07:01 PM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xxOtherlandzz, me neither. Had to work off hours at work where a dozen or so people were shown the door, got home late and true blood and mad men aren't going to watch themselves. But I plan to ride to work tomorrow.
Old 08-16-10, 07:34 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the bike riding gods are not smiling on me. Went to the emergency room Sat. morning and have been in the hospital since. They can't seem to locate the trouble. They did some deep ct scans today and are going to go deeper tomorrow. The neurologist said he thinks that I might have a small aneurysm (sp). The are going to run PSA test and stomach and intestine tests. The bike riding might be on hold for a while.

I will see you all when I get back...

Keep riding.
Old 08-16-10, 10:44 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the bike riding gods are not smiling on me. Went to the emergency room Sat. morning and have been in the hospital since. They can't seem to locate the trouble. They did some deep ct scans today and are going to go deeper tomorrow. The neurologist said he thinks that I might have a small aneurysm (sp). The are going to run PSA test and stomach and intestine tests. The bike riding might be on hold for a while.

Keep riding.
Well that is a major bummer. Off the bike and in the hospital double suck!! Hope the doc's can figure it out soon and get you started on treatment.

Hope your out of the hospital and back on the bike SOON!!
Old 08-17-10, 03:45 AM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kjc9640, holy crap! crossing my fingers that you'll be out of the hospital and back on the bike soon.
Old 08-17-10, 05:40 AM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep riding.
Not good at all! I also didn't ride on Sunday after a bike collision on Saturday sent me to the hospital with a concussion (and for the helment patrol, I did have mine on, and it absorbed a lot of the impact and cracked). But on Monday, I used it for an excuse to test ride a couple new bikes.
Old 08-17-10, 06:39 PM
Lindaosm

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep riding.
wow, slow poke Jim, we will be thinking of you. Please follow doctors orders.

zzotherlandzz - thanks for thinking of me. Surgery was last Friday. Came home late Sunday with a few complications. Doc said there was no bone to hook new knee to so he had to scrape alot of tumors and cysts and use a lot more cement. Only 50% weight bearing for 2 weeks. Sure glad I did not get both done. It's been touch enough trying to depend on my "good" one that needs surgery as well. Sounds like recovery may take a little longer than normal. A good note is the Pt that was here on Monday was very impressed with my knee extensions and how strong my gluts were. Hopefully all that bike riding will help make this go faster. For now, I am following all your rides and wishing I was out there as well. The drugs have helped but they make me really nauseous so not eating much which can be a good thing because I don't want to gain any of my weight back.

Just love reading all your posts and seeing the pictures. It's inspiring me to work as hard as possible so I can get back to those 30+ mile rides.

LindaN
Old 08-17-10, 06:48 PM
Lindaosm

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Consularrider
Not good at all! I also didn't ride on Sunday after a bike collision on Saturday sent me to the hospital with a concussion (and for the helment patrol, I did have mine on, and it absorbed a lot of the impact and cracked). But on Monday, I used it for an excuse to test ride a couple new bikes.
wow,hope you are doing better. Sure glad you did have the hemet on. Last week, before my surgery, my husband decided to take his Gary Fisher (which just got a new frame) down to Santos (mountain bike trails) to ride. I opted out as i had lots to do before my surgery. He ended up crashing into a tree and rocks and got banged up pretty good. Luckily he also had his helmet on. He said that if he didn't he'd probably still be laying there. I told him he has to be careful for the next several weeks as he's taking care of me and we both don't need to be crippled. Luckily his new frame had no damage.

Lindan
Old 08-17-10, 07:09 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was supposed to be a lighthearted thread about why we didn't ride. Turns out everybody has "real" reasons for not riding.... except me ..... DOH!!!

I didn't get a ride in again today...... Worked on the riding lawnmower, weed trimmer, and the chainsaw ... Got em all cleaned up and running again though... But no ride I MUST RIDE TOMORROW .... I still have pics from a few days ago that I should post ..... I'm slacking....

Linda N ... Like you told slospoke ... Follow the docs orders. Don't try to over do it too fast. My sister did that after her surgery and she had to go back again and have a screw re-set. After it was re-set the second time she didn't do anything (rehab wise) and her knee is still a bit messed up. Find the happy median to recovery Ohhh and what kind of Fisher bike does your husband have? (see my signature.. I have 2) .... lol

Last edited by zzOtherlandzz; 08-17-10 at 09:13 PM. Reason: same ole same ole
Old 08-17-10, 08:06 PM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the bike loaded up in the car for a ride after work, but when I exited the building, the western sky was a rumbly ominous mass of dark gray. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 08-18-10, 04:11 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To all that have wished me wel THANK YOU VERY MUCH,

Lindaosm, just a word of encouragement, my sister had hers done about 2 yrs ago and tthey are working out great. Proper rehab is very important IMHO. Take care and get well fast.
Old 08-18-10, 12:19 PM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a Dr. appointment today so I drove in to the office. Using the car time to pick up big bags of cat and dog food. And apparently an enormous Indian veg thali for lunch. No kidding, this thing was packed in two boxes. I'll get another meal out of that.

Looks like I've got a herniated disc. It's already a little better with the treatment we've done so far, so I'm going to go the exercise and anti-inflammatory route for now. An MRI sounds....expensive. It doesn't interfere with bike riding and only causes pain in certain circumstances, so hopefully I can take care of it this way. Bonus, I got exercises for my knees too. The doctor also said I should try standing to take hard hills. Any thoughts on that? I usually just downshift, all the way to 1-1 if necessary, and spin it up.
Old 08-18-10, 12:52 PM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abracapocus
Bonus, I got exercises for my knees too. The doctor also said I should try standing to take hard hills. Any thoughts on that? I usually just downshift, all the way to 1-1 if necessary, and spin it up.
I'm not a doctor, but if you can do the hill sitting down without knee pain, you're probably OK to do so. I sometimes get knee pain if I try to climb seated, but almost never when standing -- I think because standing shifts most of the exertion from the quads to the butt-ocks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.