Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Why I didn't ride today!

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Why I didn't ride today!

Old 08-26-10, 02:21 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Why I didn't ride today!
Well lets see. I decided to add a few miles to my ride by doing a loop through Avondale Estates before going to Stone Mtn. Bad idea.
About a block before I hit the Avondale city limit sign I heard a pssss....pssss....pssss. Crap!!!
Pulled off the road to a shady spot. Look at the rear tire and saw ANOTHER cut in the sidewall of my tire. CRAP!!!!
Replaced the tube, put a boot in the tire, pumped it up and headed for home. Wow, 9.5 miles total.
I had two flats last summer, both cuts in the sidewall. Had a flat last month, also a cut in the sidewall. I'm tired of buying new tires at $64 a pop. I gotta find a tire that has good flat protection (like my 700x23 GP4000) that has a better sidewall.
I'm not buying any more tires until I find something better. For now I'll just rob the tires off the CX bike (700x25 Vittoria Rubino Pro III) and ride them for a while.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-26-10, 09:05 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had intentions of riding today, I really did.. NOT kidding.... I had to take my mom and my sister to Gainesville today for doc appointments, so I was going to ride the G.ville Hthorne trail. I have a Chevy Astro van and normally take the front wheel off of my bike and put it behind the front seats. Well when more people are going with me I have to use the rack. Anyway... I'm taking the bike out of the van around noon to put on the bike rack and as i'm putting the front wheel back on I notice the front tire is a FLAT waiting to happen. It has 3 bad nicks/cuts on it... one of them is bulging a bit... Sooo I took the road bike in the house and put the mountain bike on the rack. Went to the bike shop in g.ville and got 2 new tires... Picked up my sister picked up my mom.... But by this time the storm was rolling in... Thunder & lightning pouring rain... I guess in hind sight I could have rode because there didn't end up being that much lightning but at the time it sure was looking nasty.

RonH... I had a stretch like that last year in 200 miles I had 3 flats. Two of which ruined the tire they were so bad. At the time I kept thinking.... In 9000 miles of riding my mountain bike on the roads mostly.... I NEVER RUINED a tire because of a flat.... I wore some out.. but never had a flat that ruined one...

Last edited by zzOtherlandzz; 08-26-10 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-27-10, 03:48 PM
abracapocus

Bikes: '95 Specialized Hard Rock, '03 (?) Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not going to happen today either. A good ride happens tomorrow morning or I won't be responsible for my mood or actions. :-)
Old 08-27-10, 06:56 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abracapocus
It's not going to happen today either. A good ride happens tomorrow morning or I won't be responsible for my mood or actions. :-)
First..... LOL at your comment..... Made me laugh.....

Second...... NO WONDER your pictures are so good.... You have like a zillion of them on your web page... Some very cool photos for sure... Imma go look some more later..
Old 08-28-10, 05:07 AM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zzOtherlandzz, I think that means I'm officially an addict. Also, looking at pics on my website could make you fat.
Old 08-28-10, 06:03 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
zzOtherlandzz, I think that means I'm officially an addict. Also, looking at pics on my website could make you fat.
I was just noticing this. I love food! I mean, I'm half Cajun, you know. I have to practically starve myself to lose weight. But mmm, man, some of those dishes look fantastic!

I didn't ride this morning (and I wussed out on the ride home from work) because of more nasty weather coming through. I would have gotten soaked to the bone if I had ridden. But, I have fenders on my bike now! Looking forward to trying them out.
Old 08-28-10, 06:40 AM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
I was just noticing this. I love food! I mean, I'm half Cajun, you know. I have to practically starve myself to lose weight. But mmm, man, some of those dishes look fantastic!

I didn't ride this morning (and I wussed out on the ride home from work) because of more nasty weather coming through. I would have gotten soaked to the bone if I had ridden. But, I have fenders on my bike now! Looking forward to trying them out.
Hmmmmm I I'm not sure but I don't think looking at pictures of food is what makes me fat.... I think its the actual eating part that does it for me .. I still have quite a way to go but have lost about 15lbs so far. My weight seems to has stabilized a bit right now but if I keep riding it will go down some more..... I hope....
Old 08-28-10, 01:03 PM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zzOtherlandzz & FunkyStickman, Hey, all that food is vegan so it has no calories, right? Being vegan is probably the only thing that keeps me out of a hover round. Also knowing what I can and can't keep in the house. Cake for instance. If I have a cake in my house, I will eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between snacks until it is gone. One thing I've noticed with cycling is that it rarely increases my appetite and if anything decreases it. So despite the fact that I made a batch of giant cinnamon rolls a couple of weeks ago and ate at least one daily until they were gone, I've managed to lose 5 pounds since I started riding. I'd love to lose another 10, but am not really worried about it.
Old 08-28-10, 01:17 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zzOtherlandzz & FunkyStickman, Hey, all that food is vegan so it has no calories, right? Being vegan is probably the only thing that keeps me out of a hover round. Also knowing what I can and can't keep in the house. Cake for instance. If I have a cake in my house, I will eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and in between snacks until it is gone. One thing I've noticed with cycling is that it rarely increases my appetite and if anything decreases it. So despite the fact that I made a batch of giant cinnamon rolls a couple of weeks ago and ate at least one daily until they were gone, I've managed to lose 5 pounds since I started riding. I'd love to lose another 10, but am not really worried about it.
Tis true... I find the more I ride the less I eat or want to eat overall...
Old 08-28-10, 04:59 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Abracapocus: I don't eat vegan, but have switched to almost all organic (or at the very least, food with no additives/GMO/etc.) and I have found by eating healthier, I don't need to eat as much to give my body what it needs... and since I'm eating less and riding more, I've lost 25 pounds, and am still losing. Maybe one day I can go vegan, but for now, I'll have to stick with organic food, and no red meat (or very very rarely). Some of those dishes look fantastic, and I love to cook... I will definitely be checking out your blog for recipes!
Old 08-31-10, 07:17 AM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ride in to work today. I've got a dental appointment this afternoon and don't want to go in my cycling clothes. My dentist is already kind of a perv, that'd just push him over the edge.

Hmm...maybe you guys have inspired me to start updating my website again. I've been neglecting it quite a bit lately.
Old 08-31-10, 08:26 AM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ride in to work today. I've got a dental appointment this afternoon and don't want to go in my cycling clothes. My dentist is already kind of a perv, that'd just push him over the edge.

Hmm...maybe you guys have inspired me to start updating my website again. I've been neglecting it quite a bit lately.
Really??? fried brussel sprouts...... REALLY?? I dunno about that just sounds weird....
Old 08-31-10, 08:55 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
Really??? fried brussel sprouts...... REALLY?? I dunno about that just sounds weird....
Are they anything like fried green tomatoes?
Old 08-31-10, 10:21 AM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zzOtherlandzz & kjc9640, hey, anything battered and deep fried is tasty, right? If you're Paula Deen, that is. I saw an episode where she deep fried Thanksgiving. I mean, she deep fried slices of cranberry sauce, FFS. These were pretty good, but I prefer brussels sprouts roasted.
Old 08-31-10, 03:03 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had fried pickles before... They were actually pretty good. NOT something I would want to eat everyday though.

Anyway.... Why I didn't ride today.... cus I'm dumb..... I had plans... To do a different ride than normal today. Mapped it out on google maps to get an idea of the distance and how long it would take me to ride it and what time I would have to leave. Checked which way the wind was blowing, checked the RADAR. I mean I put some effort into the plan.... I'm talking like 15 minutes of solid effort into this plan The plan was take my mom to the post office & then the bank and drive to where I wanted to drop myself off for the ride & she could drive back to her house. So I put my bike shoes on, drove to the post office (I have SPD shoes not too bad to drive in), drove to the bank and headed to where I wanted dropped off... Got about half way there and realized I left my gloves on the kitchen table... I don't mind riding without gloves for a shorter ride ... but I need them for the 27 mile planned ride... So drove her back to the grocery store went shopping with her & came home. Yeah I could go for a ride now... but I really had my heart set on the planned ride, to do something different to change things up a bit.... And now I don't really feel like fighting the 13mph headwind on my normal ride.... Soooo anyway.... I'm wimping out.. NO RIDE TODAY for me..
Old 08-31-10, 03:47 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had dinner at Paula Deans last year. Food was pretty good but really pricey and you had to have reservations to get in. Those brussel sprouts sound interesting. My sister fries banana peppers and I could eat my weight in them. Is this turning into a cooking forum?
Old 08-31-10, 04:33 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjc9640
Had dinner at Paula Deans last year. Food was pretty good but really pricey and you had to have reservations to get in. Those brussel sprouts sound interesting. My sister fries banana peppers and I could eat my weight in them. Is this turning into a cooking forum?
I think it's abracapocus's fault... Well okay it could be my fault for looking at her web page....
Old 09-01-10, 12:46 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Today is a code orange day so wifey said no riding. Thank you Weather Channel and radio news/weather.
But she did say I can ride tomorrow even if its still code orange. She realizes that sitting in the house does nothing for my cardiovascular system.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-01-10, 05:38 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didnt ride because its no ride day. I need a rest now and then.
Old 09-01-10, 08:37 PM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wife's car is in the shop this week, so my vehicle's doing double duty, leaving me no time to ride until now this week. I hope to make a go of it tomorrow after work.
Old 09-01-10, 09:43 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zzOtherlandzz does not know what a code orange day is...... Google is my friend.....

2 minutes later.......

zzOtherlandzz knows what a code orange day is now.... Google was his friend....

Last edited by zzOtherlandzz; 09-01-10 at 09:45 PM. Reason: messin around
Old 09-03-10, 11:33 AM
abracapocus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm...I've been ignoring the smog alerts. But I'm not going to ignore that my legs want a break. So no ride today. Except I kinda wanna. Must. Not. Give. In.

This morning I finally sold an elliptical machine I don't use anymore. Now I've got that Schwinn Breeze up on Craigslist. I like my commuter bike, but I want a lighter road bike for non-hauling rides. 70s, 80s steel. Keeping my eye out. I guess it doesn't count as n+1 if I sell one to get one, right?
Old 09-03-10, 05:20 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used today to clean and lube my bike. Put a new chain on with the help of my little chain compressor tool. That little sucker is great if you are all thumbs like me. They are hard to find at any bike store here in Orlando so I had Bike works order 2 of them for me. $6.00 each for a little piece of wire but hey they are bike tools/parts, they are not supposed to be cheap. After all the would destroy the image.
Old 09-04-10, 03:41 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to get caught up on the yard work. And then that snowballed into other things... I did fix a flat on friends bike today though, patched the tube. And in the process found out that the glue in my patch kit on the road bike was dried up... So have to remember to get a new kit this week. He was like "No.... you don't have to fix it...... I'm like yes I do...... dont want you to use the flat as an excuse not to ride .... LOL Both friends say they are up for another ride tomorrow..... And the one friend is talking about getting a bike already... He could not believe how much better the ride was on my Tassajara over the "Mart" bike that he has.

Anyway..... yard looks good, but NO ride today.....
Old 09-04-10, 04:00 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike is in dry dock. Replacing the tires, lube chain, adjust brakes, general cleaning.
Tomorrow I'll ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.