Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Forgot how good CO2 is

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Forgot how good CO2 is

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 11:45 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
I remember getting a flat on a group ride a while back... get the new tube and give it a few pumps with my mini pump to give it some shape before I put it in the tire. I could sense the anxiety in the rest of the group as they saw how pathetic my mini pump was; I'm sure they were trying to figure out how many thousands of strokes it would take.

Little did they know, it was one of those convertible pumps (probably why it's such a horrible pump), so after getting the tire mounted, I unscrew the handle, pop a CO2 cartridge in there and fill the tire in a couple of seconds while the group gasps, astounded at my mechanical skill. Or maybe the gasp was really a sigh of relief that they weren't going to have to sit around on a humid morning for ten minutes while I struggled with a dinky pump.

FWIW, I use the cheap 12g unthreaded cartridges and they are good enuf for me.
Old 06-24-13, 12:07 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fify
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
this post is so "41". Trying to change minds that don't know how to change. Co2 is a sensible, compact, fast, convenient and reliable way to inflate tires when a fully functional floor pump is not available. If you agree, i congratulate you on your good common sense. If you disagree, no problem. I congratulate you on your fortitude and persistence. You're the one sweating out the alternatives. More power to you. Now, is everybody happy? I do wonder this, however: If you are committed to a manual pump for on-road tire changes, why not also be committed to a quality full size frame mountable pump that was really designed to do the job like a zefal? Pump the tire if you must, but at least do it right. As far as the environment is concerned...you have to be kidding. In what universe would a well managed, cradle-to-grave supply and recycle chain for co2 cartridges not compare favorably with human effort to pump up a tire? And if not, how significantly?
Old 06-24-13, 12:16 PM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I fill my CO2 cartridges with my mini-pump.
Old 06-24-13, 12:32 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
If you really care about the environment, you should buy all the CO2 cartridges you can afford and then never use them. If someone else buys that cartridge and uses it, that CO2 will end up in the atmosphere.
Old 06-24-13, 12:40 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
If you really care about the environment, you should buy all the CO2 cartridges you can afford and then never use them. If someone else buys that cartridge and uses it, that CO2 will end up in the atmosphere.
Exactly my point. Failing that, if we all just buy a decent stash, and replinish them as we use them, we've got to be sequestering enough C02 to at least offset an SUV or two.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-24-13, 12:43 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
So you're saying my dozen spares are inadequate and I should really go whole hog?
Old 06-24-13, 12:54 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
So you're saying my dozen spares are inadequate and I should really go whole hog?
I've heard that hogs create significant CO2 emissions.

Best thing to do is ride less as we breathe out more CO2 when we ride. Then we statistically live longer which only makes things worse...
Old 06-24-13, 12:56 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I have carried CO2 for years now and have yet to have the chance to use it. I keep threatening to try filling a flat at home with CO2 instead of my floor pump just to say I can do it. My big concern is how long do CO2 cartridges last, because I have had the same two in my seat bag since 2006 or so.
Old 06-24-13, 01:03 PM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
I have carried CO2 for years now and have yet to have the chance to use it. I keep threatening to try filling a flat at home with CO2 instead of my floor pump just to say I can do it. My big concern is how long do CO2 cartridges last, because I have had the same two in my seat bag since 2006 or so.
I'd imagine long enough.
As a teen, I had a Crossmen pallet-gun, that used CO2.
Those CO2 cartridges lasted years.
Old 06-24-13, 01:10 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Originally Posted by banerjek
I've heard that hogs create significant CO2 emissions.

Best thing to do is ride less as we breathe out more CO2 when we ride. Then we statistically live longer which only makes things worse...
Yep, if you're really committed to reducing green house gases, you have to stop breathing altogether. The amount of CO2 you produce in your lifetime makes a few CO2 cartridges look silly.
Old 06-24-13, 01:14 PM
sdold
Hi, folks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ricebowl
Fify
No, I actually think he had it right to first time.
It's not hard to find a place to leave the cartridges, just ride down the road a little and drop them in the first pile of empty Gu packets and old tubes you find. A crew of DUIs will be by to pick it all up eventually.
Old 06-24-13, 01:17 PM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdold
No, I actually think he had it right to first time.
It's not hard to find a place to leave the cartridges, just ride down the road a little and drop them in the first pile of empty Gu packets and old tubes you find. A crew of DUIs will be by to pick it all up eventually.
But I've never seen a pile of either along the roadside.
Guess, I'll just have to carry the empty with me home.
Old 06-24-13, 02:16 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin to check balance
Hold on, this is a new one to me. You spin the wheel fast enough to see if it is unbalanced -- as in getting your car tires balanced? What is it you're looking for, and what do you do if it is unbalanced? I must be misunderstanding, sorry.
Old 06-24-13, 03:04 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Hold on, this is a new one to me. You spin the wheel fast enough to see if it is unbalanced -- as in getting your car tires balanced? What is it you're looking for, and what do you do if it is unbalanced? I must be misunderstanding, sorry.
I want the tire to spin perfectly smoothly both vertically and laterally. I'm especially looking at the vertical aspects when checking the balance.

If your tire is not seated just right or the tube is in the wrong position, the balance test will let you know. It is sometimes possible to fully inflate a tire where that is not centered on the rim. When this happens, you may get a whumping effect while riding or even a blowout when the bead pops off if you're unlucky. This is uncommon, but it can happen. Rigid flat resistant tires seem more prone to this problem.

If it doesn't spin perfectly round and I'm only up to 20psi or so, I can usually correct things simply by squeezing all the way around the tire to reseat the tire on the rim -- this should take less than 30 seconds. If I have more than 20psi, I let out air until the tire is soft enough for me to work it.
Old 06-24-13, 04:39 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Yep. banerjek knows what he is talking about.

Some tyres are a loose fit on the rim, especially the wider tyres, and it is very easy for the bead to become unseated as you pump it up. You'll keep pumping to full pressure and be none the wiser, put the wheel back on the bike, and then wonder why there is a scraping sound. You'll look down and then you will see the tyre is unseated, and you'll have to fix it... or wait for the bit bang as the tube explodes.

I normally check the bead before pumping to ensure the tube isn't caught between it and the rim. Then a spin of the wheel holding it by the axle-quick release to check there are no bulges from unseated beads, and I am good to go.
Old 06-24-13, 04:41 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
But I've never seen a pile of either along the roadside.
Guess, I'll just have to carry the empty with me home.
I have. Tubes as well mixed in. It happens on organised rides mainly.
Old 06-24-13, 04:45 PM
Rowan

Yep, if you're really committed to reducing green house gases, you have to stop breathing altogether. The amount of CO2 you produce in your lifetime makes a few CO2 cartridges look silly.
I don't think the issue is the CO2. Despite assertions to the contrary, it's a naturally occurring gas that's required for life to exist. Trees for example take it it in, respire, and send out oxygen. Nitrogen actually is the major gaseous component in our atmosphere.

I think the issue is more the cartridges, and if you want to get pedantic about it, the footprint from producing and disposing of them is quite high compared with just using a pump.

But the swaggering displays of Western consumerism in this thread are wonderful.
Old 06-24-13, 04:50 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by mshred
got a flat this morning (dangit). glad i had my CO2. saved me a few mosquito bites if nothing else.
Now, here is a distinct and real advantage of a CO2 unit. It's only when you've had a puncture on a road through a mosquito infested swamp that you know what hell might be like. Lycra shorts are no barrier to these thing, and bending over to repair a puncture only presents two nice, big, juicy targets for them.

Having said that, it's happened to me once out of 15+ years of riding.
Old 06-24-13, 04:53 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by jsharr
They should last forever. I have three packets given to us by a competitor in a 24 hour race in Iowa back about the same time as you acquired yours. I just haven't bothered to get the unit to use them. They were created for carbonating drinks in home soda fountains. I remember my parents having one... and that was a l-o-n-g time ago.
Old 06-24-13, 05:06 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want the tire to spin perfectly smoothly both vertically and laterally. I'm especially looking at the vertical aspects when checking the balance.
OK, I've got it. I would call that checking for roundness or making sure it wasn't "out of round" rather than balance. Thanks. I'll add that to my CDO* list of things I check when fixing a flat.

*Like OCD, but with the letters in their proper alphabetical order.
Old 06-24-13, 05:25 PM
Rowan

Sometimes I wish I could get a dose of it.
Old 06-24-13, 05:32 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, I've got it. I would call that checking for roundness or making sure it wasn't "out of round" rather than balance. Thanks. I'll add that to my CDO* list of things I check when fixing a flat.

I see you're a member of the DNA. (National Dyslexic Association)
Old 06-24-13, 08:33 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Originally Posted by Rowan
I don't think the issue is the CO2. Despite assertions to the contrary, it's a naturally occurring gas that's required for life to exist. Trees for example take it it in, respire, and send out oxygen. Nitrogen actually is the major gaseous component in our atmosphere.

I think the issue is more the cartridges, and if you want to get pedantic about it, the footprint from producing and disposing of them is quite high compared with just using a pump.

But the swaggering displays of Western consumerism in this thread are wonderful.
We've added billions of tons of carbon to the atmosphere and taken out the most dense areas of vegetation that are natures way of restoring balance. We hit the planet on both ends of the system. I really don't think people are making this up.

Using CO2 in your bike tubes us a non-issue, though. Seriously. Much bigger fish to fry...
Old 06-24-13, 09:10 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
I see you're a member of the DNA. (National Dyslexic Association)
That's not funny. I am dyslexic and I got suckered into a cult that worships the devil and I inadvertently sold my soul to Santa. It was even more confusing since they were both wearing red suits! But I'm better now
No, really being dyslexic is not funny.
Old 06-24-13, 09:20 PM
Rowan

Using CO2 in your bike tubes us a non-issue, though. Seriously. Much bigger fish to fry...
Ah yes, of course. I get it.

The consumer doesn't need to play a role.

Carry on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.