Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

best platform pedals for a SWB

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 07:44 AM
geezerwheels

Bikes: +/-2000 Alp d'Huez (Dura Ace/Ultegra) Alloy Synapse disc (Ultegra), '84 de Rosa Eddie Merckx Super Prestige (Modified with 10sp Record mechs), Carbon Synapse disc (SRAM Red), '80-something Trek 540 (7sp AccuShift), Serotta Fierte (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah, I know this question has probably been run into the ground already, but here goes:

with maybe 300 miles on a Giro 20ATT, and which I no longer have to shift into low-low to climb a moderate hill, I can no longer claim to be a newby.

as a former clipless wedgie rider, I'm really enjoying the Giro's stock platform pedals, cuz I can just wear my sneakers and walk normally when I reach my destination (like a client's house, where you really don't want to be chewing up their nice oak floor with your SPD's).

but dang it, when I hit a rough patch on the road or trail, I sometimes find that my feet are flailing in mid air. Very freaky...

Soooooo, my question is, are there any bent riders out there who ride with platforms? Like studded MTB pedals, with 5-10's or 2FO's?
Old 04-29-15, 11:03 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put some BMX pedals with the pins on last night. Only have one ride on them, so too early to tell. I'm also looking for a nice platform pedal so I can wear regular shoes. Plus I can't find a comfortable shoe / pedal combo for clipless yet.

I took these off my upright commuter to try:
Amazon.com : Diamondback Sound Pedal (Black Alloy, 9/16 - Inch, Pack of 2) : Bike Pedals : Sports & Outdoors

But I'm contemplating these if my experiment works, since I'm hoping they have a bit bigger platform:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BVUGA0/...Q9NJPP42&psc=1
Old 04-29-15, 12:29 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
My setup..

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-29-15, 01:31 PM
geezerwheels

Bikes: +/-2000 Alp d'Huez (Dura Ace/Ultegra) Alloy Synapse disc (Ultegra), '84 de Rosa Eddie Merckx Super Prestige (Modified with 10sp Record mechs), Carbon Synapse disc (SRAM Red), '80-something Trek 540 (7sp AccuShift), Serotta Fierte (Ultegra)

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
My setup..

Osco, we meet again! thanks for your advice...

...just ordered me some 2FO's...thinking about some Electron pedals (relatively cheap and lightweight, with good reviews...)
Old 05-05-15, 08:27 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
I can appreciate the flexibility of platforms. I also ride a Giro ATT 20 and love it. However, I breathed a sigh of relief once I got comfortable with the bent and installed clipless pedals. No more having to keep a constant bit of pressure on both pedals just to keep my feet from slipping off due to gravity. But hey, to each their own.

I do use BMX platforms on my commuter (Salsa Vaya). They work great, especially in winter when I ride in hiking boots (a tad wider than shoes).
Old 05-07-15, 10:27 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 2 of my longer rides (distance riding is mostly what I do on this bike), rides I went back to clipless. Numb toes were no better (maybe worse) on the platforms regardless of the shoe I was using, and I found myself adjusting my feet too often to get the sweet spot. Plus I had to stop and brace myself on bigger bumps.

For riding around town, I wouldn't have anything but platforms, though. It was great to hop on and ride.
Old 05-14-15, 06:58 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
The "secret" to riding with platforms, especially on a 'bent, is super stiff shoes and pedals with really sharp pins. I set up both my LWB Mach 2 and Giro 20 that way (as well as my Fuji del Rey hybrid), which allows me to engage any area of the sole, from toe to heel. Took a previously scuffed and worn pair of round-toe Italian dress shoes, threw in some Sport insoles, and had the repair guy outfit them with the most aggressive Vibrams available. Because this material has so little give, I don't feel any hot spots and never suffer from foot pain any more. Together with my Wellgo MG-1s, effect is like riding clipless — probably even looks that way to a casual observer, because of the style of the shoes. Of course with all the extra rubber they now weigh at least five pounds, but heaving them around all day fits in well with my training program.

My setup is also pretty similar to Osco's I guess, just my shoes have heels:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (62.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (74.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by andychrist; 05-14-15 at 07:02 AM.