Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bearings for AW and similar hubs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 09:13 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts

I'm rebuilding an FM and I may also do some other SA's I have. I've been looking for the SA replacementt wheel bearings: caged, 10 balls, ¼", grade 25? Seems like just a few months ago I was seeing them on ebay and elsewhere, and now, nothing!

With Sturmey-Archer hubs is there any problem using loose balls, with no cages? I know this works for BBs, headsets, and "racier" vintage hubs.
Old 10-09-23, 12:30 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm rebuilding an FM and I may also do some other SA's I have. I've been looking for the SA replacementt wheel bearings: caged, 10 balls, ¼", grade 25? Seems like just a few months ago I was seeing them on ebay and elsewhere, and now, nothing!

With Sturmey-Archer hubs is there any problem using loose balls, with no cages? I know this works for BBs, headsets, and "racier" vintage hubs.
You can use loose balls. Are the bearings bad, or the cages, or both? You can replace the bearings in the cages if you're careful.
Old 10-09-23, 04:00 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
I have one FW that has somewhat rough races so I used loose balls (10 vs caged 8) in that one to increase the count and hopefully make it a little smoother. Feels okay. I have another FW that I used caged bearings I got from a seller on eBay, Benzo One out of Canada. He titles them as SA dyno hub bearings but they're 8X 1/4 in cages and fit fine in the FW. That was from a set I bought a couple years ago so I'm not sure about the current batch but I can't see it would be any different. An option if you want to go down that road.
Old 10-09-23, 04:49 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
If you really need caged bearings, I may have one or two. They are used though.
Old 10-10-23, 02:42 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
There should be schematics online, showing the parts numbers for many of the Sturmey Archer models. With the exception of a few parts you should be able to find brand new caged bearing.
Old 10-10-23, 06:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by JaccoW
There should be schematics online, showing the parts numbers for many of the Sturmey Archer models. With the exception of a few parts you should be able to find brand new caged bearing.
Yes, I actually have the schematics, with part numbers. But when I google "Sturmey Archer Bearings" or many such namings, I get a lot of modular bearings. But loose balls are available out there and not problematic, so that will be the plan. So far I have not taken down teh hub, so I haven't inpeted the races, yet.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 10-10-23, 08:17 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I looked up the FM, and it uses K67Z, 8 1/4" caged bearings:

That's also what an AW used: https://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/images/photos/pic-47.1.jpg
The newer AW number is HSA 284:https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-4-aw.pdf]

HSA 284 is readily available, though it's 7 1/4" bearings in a cage. I think I'd give them a try.
Likes For gna:
Old 10-11-23, 12:41 PM
Road Fan

I'm giving loose balls a try. But thanks!