Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dallas / East Texas Spring Rides - Spring Fever and Tour de Cypress - and others

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dallas / East Texas Spring Rides - Spring Fever and Tour de Cypress - and others

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-06, 01:29 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by formulaben
Thanks. Geez, I don't know what my deal is. I forgot to google and then I didn't bother clicking on the bike link. Work has been very busy lately and I think I've lost my mind. Cuda, I'll PM you regarding the ride.
I can understand the losing your mind bit. And as you can see I don't mind posting pictures of my bikes when the opportunity comes along.
Old 03-24-06, 08:00 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Praying all this muscle stiffness that I am suffering from going down 19 flights of stairs on Wed goes away by tomorrow morning. My office building had their annual fire drill Wed afternoon. I work on the 19th floor. Of course THEN I decide that I haven't had enough exercise for the day and go to the gym for 45mins where I hit the stationary bike, stair master, rowing machine and treadmill. Yesterday was a lesson in stiffness - especially since I had an exam in the evening and it was cold outside so I had very little chance to walk it off at all.

Good news is that once I get moving I seem to loosen up a bit - but when I sit back down for any period of time I get stiff again quickly. *grumble* This may make for a very long 45mi tomorrow if I don't get it worked out soon.

Doggus - how you feeling bud? Any better or think you'll be passing? Day-of Registration starts at 8am. I plan to be out there about 8:15 or so.
Old 03-24-06, 09:05 AM
TheCahill
Bike H4><0R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See this face and run!!!!!!
Old 03-24-06, 09:20 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Ignore Cahill. He's being the typical best friend (not to mention Best Man at my up coming wedding) in his own typical fashion.
Old 03-24-06, 12:40 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not going to drive quite so far, but I'd be happy to catch up with anyone riding in the dfw area this summer. I'll be on my trek pilot until the first weekend in May (competing in a tri) and then I'm back on my lowracer recumbent, sprinting past all the pacelines.....while simultaneously napping.
Old 03-24-06, 08:30 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lecterman...not sure if you're reading your PMs, at least I'm not getting read receipts if you are. Don't think I'm gonna make it tommorrow. I'm on the downhill side of this but I still feel like I got ran over by a brick **** house.
Old 03-24-06, 08:41 PM
Comatose51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding in the Sulphur Springs ride tomorrow, doing the 66 mile route. I'll be riding a blue Cannondale R700, probably with a blue jersey on.
Old 03-24-06, 09:20 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Lecterman...not sure if you're reading your PMs, at least I'm not getting read receipts if you are. Don't think I'm gonna make it tommorrow. I'm on the downhill side of this but I still feel like I got ran over by a brick **** house.
Yeah, sorry. I checked at work, but forgot to reply.

I'm just going to ride with my regular group tomorrow. No point in driving 90 miles and paying $25 to ride in the cold when I can do it with my regular crew and then have breakfast at my favorite place afterwards.

But I am looking forward to the rescheduled ride with you all on April 2nd, that is if I don;t see Noah building another ark.

Fred
Old 03-24-06, 09:26 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

doggus - glad to hear you're on the upswing and hope you get back on your feet 100% soon.

lecterman - have a good ride in the morning. I'll be on the road towards Sulphur Springs @ about 6:45 am. Looks like the weather is going to warm up nicely tomorrow so I hope to have a Go-Time temp out there in the upper 40's and have a good ride. Never fear - I'll be sure to snap some shots of the scenery as it goes by.

Comatose - I'll keep an eye out for you. Keep an eye out for my bike. I'll probably have my yellow long sleeve jersey on, but the bike will be easier to spot. Feel free to say hello if you see us. I think the 66 is rolling out shortly before the 45mi if I remember right. Have a good ride.

Catch you all on the far side of 45miles.
Old 03-24-06, 10:18 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like I'm coming to sulphur springs after all. I'll be on a bright yellow recumbent sitting way low to the ground. I'll waive to y'all on the left

I'm doing the 45 miler.

Greg
Old 03-25-06, 02:35 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope everyone had a good day on the road.

The funniest thing about my ride today is when I left my garage this morning at 6 to ride to my group ride, I did not even need my headlight.

One more week of that I guess.
Old 03-25-06, 03:59 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by aikigreg
looks like I'm coming to sulphur springs after all. I'll be on a bright yellow recumbent sitting way low to the ground. I'll waive to y'all on the left

I'm doing the 45 miler.

Greg
Bright yellow fairing around it? Or bright yellow frame?

Survived the 45mi in style, enjoyed the ride and all the rest stops. I need to get some food and cleaned up right now but I'll post more details of the ride and photos soon.

--------------------------------------------------

The short of it:

Over all A+ ride. The reviews over on bicycle-stuff.com were spot on for this ride. Great rest stops, great SAG and support in general. Parking was plentyful at the high school / civic center. Temps started out in the mid-40's to start with very little wind to speak of. 3 hours later temps were probably close to 60-62. We really couldn't have asked for much better weather. Course was generally flat, though the general trend on the first half was downhill, while on the way back you certainly started to notice you were going up more than down. For a first ride of the season I think it was a complete and total success!

Distance: 43.70mi
Time: 2:47:20
Avg Sp: 15.7mph
Max Sp: 27.0mph

Photos:

None of me on the bike, though there was a photographer at the end. If anyone knows who that was let me know as I'd like to get one if it came out well.

TheCahill pulling into the last rest stop.

TheCahill ahead of me as we enjoy the final miles to the end.

The end is close - but not quite in sight yet.

Cyclometer reading as I came to a stop. My calibration was off so had to rely on a few others for total distance.

My ugly mug after pealing off the arm warmers and helmet.

Next organized ride - you guessed it - Mt. Vernon for the Tour de Cypress. I foresee being more exhausted than I am now after that one as I KNOW the hills out there are much more than anything we saw today.

Last edited by cuda2k; 03-25-06 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-25-06, 08:09 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the ride were tommorrow I'd be there. Glad I didn't pre-register for that one. See any tandems out there?
Old 03-25-06, 08:25 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

I saw a number of Tandems. Including a Co-Motion with a softride boom for the stroker. It was a great ride, really got me pumped for more rides this season. Hope to have more photos soon.
Old 03-25-06, 08:27 PM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There were a couple of tandems that I saw. My wife and I rode our individual bikes instead of the tandem. I did the 69 while my wife only did the 22 with some of my family. It turned out to be a great ride and the weather could not of been better. It was both the longest ride I have done as well as the fastest. I completed the 69 miles in just over 4 hours and averaged 17.0

I will be back to the area for the Mt Vernon ride. I will not be on the tandem then either. I may do the 80 if I feel good. I will try to see ya'll there.

Aggie_grad
Old 03-25-06, 08:29 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

aggie_grad - what were you riding?
Old 03-25-06, 08:35 PM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cuda,

I was wearing a red (or maroon) long-sleeve jersey with a green and white helmet. I ride a newer green Tirenno from Performance. If I find any of the pictures of me that were taken, I will try to post it. At Mt Vernon it should be easier to find you. Only 100 people did it last year.

Aggie_grad
Old 03-25-06, 08:46 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Did you catch the announcer say how many people were riding today? It looked like 300+ easy to me, but I'm a bad judge of mass numbers of people.

Look forward to seeing you out at Mt. Vernon. Should be a challenging ride. What are your opinions of the ride?
Old 03-25-06, 10:24 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As was usual for me before a bi event, I couldn't sleep a wink. So after a whopping 3 hours of fitful sleep I was so groggy I thought that while the bike ride might wake me up, I'd likely die on either the 2 hr. ride there or back. So I went back to bed till non and still feel like hell.

Next time, y'all!
Old 03-25-06, 10:29 PM
Comatose51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the 66 mile. HORRIBLE speed for me. Part of it is because I had to wait for a slower friend but mostly because I'm not trained enough.

Cuda, I think we might have passed each other without realizing it. Were you riding with others? Maybe in a group of 4? I was riding ahead, then behind, then ahead, and finally behind a group that had someone with a long yellow jersey on.

In any case, hopefully we'll meet up next Sunday (not tomorrow).
Old 03-25-06, 10:33 PM
Comatose51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Did you catch the announcer say how many people were riding today? It looked like 300+ easy to me, but I'm a bad judge of mass numbers of people.

Look forward to seeing you out at Mt. Vernon. Should be a challenging ride. What are your opinions of the ride?
Definitely 300+. The announcer said it. After a while though, I was riding all by myself. I was one of the last ones to finish the 66 mile route :-P Some 9 year old boy finished just ahead of me and I finished just ahead of a 9 year girl! So sad. Got whooped by a 9 year kid.

When I first saw the girl in the 66 mile line, I thought to myself, "Is she in the wrong line?" Turns out she's just as capable as I am. Wish I had started cycling at her age. Well my parents didn't have the money to buy me a Trek at that age
Old 03-26-06, 09:37 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

I think I saw that girl a couple times. Just the right sized road bike and geared up for the weather and the task ahead. I'm quite glad I didn't try for the 66. The 44 was just about right for me at the time of the year. Cahill wasn't quite as ready and the up hills were eating him alive esp with the chipseal sucking up a lot of your energy at the same time.

I didn't stay in any particular group for long, so if it was me you saw in the group it was simply because they hadn't out run me or I out run them yet. I saw several other long sleeve yellow jerseys out there so it easily could have been someone else.

Typically in these larger ride I let the mass start out and I start near the back of the pack. Let things sort themselves out a bit in the first few miles and get everyone settled in. That and that way all the faster riders are at the front and I don't get passed so much.

I'm going to gear up for a short recovery ride of about 10mi this morning so I can break the 100mi mark for the month. Not nearly as many miles as I've been wanting to do - but between work/weather/school it's about all I have been able to fit in.
Old 03-26-06, 10:26 AM
mike9903

Bikes: 09 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of you guys plan on doing the Shiner Bash ride?
Old 03-26-06, 04:40 PM
Comatose51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike9903
Any of you guys plan on doing the Shiner Bash ride?
No but I'll be doing the Tour Dallas ride in my new Synapse
Old 03-26-06, 05:22 PM
hi565
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool

hey nice pics guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.