Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

N. Texas riders: Tour de Paris - this weekend!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 11:27 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

Anyone making the drive out to Paris (Texas) this weekend for the Tour de Paris ride? It's going to be a hot one this year it looks like. I'm thinking I'll be doing the 70k on this one due to the heat and the low milage the last week after being sick. I'll likely be on the Gazelle, though as flat as it is, I may head out with the 'Cuda. See how I feel on Friday night when I'm packing up.
Old 07-11-06, 01:25 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We're not sure yet. It's a good warm up for HHH. Nice and flat and fast on a tandem.
Old 07-11-06, 04:03 PM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cuda,

Yes we will be traveling up there this weekend. It will be a family ride for us this year. I am just doing the 25 mile route but I will have either the 3 year old or the 4 year old pedaling on the tandem and the other one in the trailer. They will trade at the rest stop since neither of them like the trailer. The trail-a-bike has not arrived so that is not an option. My wife and dad will be there also on their own bikes. It is a good thing it is flat because I will be trying to maintain a 14-15 mph average . I heard the temps are to be in the upper 90's so my speed may drop. I should be easy to spot. We will all have matching jerseys plus probably the only long train there. Maybe I will see you there.

Aggie_grad
Old 07-11-06, 09:14 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Hope to spot you aggie_grad. Enjoy the ride, and just consider it a good workout and an opportunity to take in the scenery!

I'm leaning towards taking the 'Cuda. I'll be moving my good Shimano SPD's over to that bike this week and haven't taken it for a good long ride in a while. So, keep an eye out for me on the blue and white fish bike. I'll probably closely followed by a bright red Specalized Allez.
Old 07-11-06, 09:22 PM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which distance will you be doing? I may make the trip to Paris.
Old 07-12-06, 07:25 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Cahill and I are planning for the 70k route. I've been off the bike due to a bad cold for over a week and the heat is going to be bad so I'm thinking the 100k might be a bit much for this weekend. I'll probably be driving up to McKinney to pick up Cahill so you're welcome to follow us out.
Old 07-12-06, 08:05 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Cahill and I are planning for the 70k route. I've been off the bike due to a bad cold for over a week and the heat is going to be bad so I'm thinking the 100k might be a bit much for this weekend. I'll probably be driving up to McKinney to pick up Cahill so you're welcome to follow us out.
I may follow you guys up there but I will be doing the 100k. I won't know for sure if I will be going until Friday.
Old 07-12-06, 02:45 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'm doing the tour de post surgery so no, I won't be there. . .

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 07-17-06, 05:48 AM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So did anyone attempt this ride in the heat besides me. My kids did fine but there were more rollers than I ever remember (the trailer makes you notice). I did not talk to any BF members so just curious if everyone backed out. Over 700 did ride but several came back in the SAG that I saw.
Old 07-17-06, 06:32 AM
sparat1k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(my first post)

yes i rode in it, it was my first race. i bought my bike on tuesday, trained twice, and then rode the 70k saturday. had a lot of fun.

andy
Old 07-17-06, 07:16 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Cahill came down with a stomach bug of some sort on Friday so we both decided to pass on the ride. Sorry I missed some of you out there. Wish this heat would die down a bit.
Old 07-17-06, 08:04 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided I didn't feel like driving two hours to ride in the heat when the heat on my ususal group ride is just the same. I did 50 miles Saturday and the heat was EXTREMELY intense. I ride in the heat every day in the afternoon so my body is pretty much adapted to heat. I decided after doing my 40 mile ride yesterday that I will start using my camel back.
Old 07-17-06, 08:47 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did the PBA 8am Saturday ride - 70 miles. Our camelbaks are on the way too. I started using the Elete drops in my water. Seemed to keep the cramps at bay. There were a few casaulties at the last rest stop. Pace was 19.4 in the heat
Old 07-17-06, 08:52 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
We did the PBA 8am Saturday ride - 70 miles. Our camelbaks are on the way too. I started using the Elete drops in my water. Seemed to keep the cramps at bay. There were a few casaulties at the last rest stop. Pace was 19.4 in the heat
That was a great ride!!! When I saw the pace was going to stay in the upper teens and low 20's I made a detour through Wylie. I didn't have the hydration or rest to make the 70 miles at that pace. I normally ride the RBM Sachse route that averages 19-21 MPH but it is only 35 miles. I will have my camel back and be ready for the PBA 8:00AM ride this weekend. I hope to see you there!!!
Old 07-17-06, 10:40 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinmcdade
That was a great ride!!! When I saw the pace was going to stay in the upper teens and low 20's I made a detour through Wylie. I didn't have the hydration or rest to make the 70 miles at that pace. I normally ride the RBM Sachse route that averages 19-21 MPH but it is only 35 miles. I will have my camel back and be ready for the PBA 8:00AM ride this weekend. I hope to see you there!!!

If you need more heat training, there's always the Tue/Thurs Popsicle ride. Rides during part of the hottest temps. There are two groups - fast group (OAS pace) and moderate paced group (still not for the faint hearted). I handily got shelled at mile 15 last week, was a lonely ride home by myself. Limped home as fast as I could to keep the moderate paced group from catching me. I was in bad shape that day. I like to see some of the super studmuffins riding with camelbaks, helps get rid of some of that dip**** roadie ANTI-CAMELBAK stigma. Hydrate or SAG home ladies!!!