Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 09:39 PM
jjarvis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Houston - People out there to ride with

Hey all, ecspecially the Houstonians, I've recently moved to Houston (3 months) and am looking for some people to ride with, that hopefully live nearby, so I can just ride from my house. I've just started riding, and have only been able to bike currently on weekends. The nights come upon us so early now. But I'd like to ride more, as to get a good base built for the up and coming first trial season. I do sometimes drive to Sugarland and ride with SWCC but I have a hard time waking up so early to make the drive. I live inside the north 610 loop off of Ella Blvd.

I'm a 26m that road bikes, mainly between 30 and 60 miles at a time, average 17 to 20 on the flats-which is all of Houston. Riding times would probably vary, mornings, sometime after 5:30pm, I don't know figure something out. Just looking for some good riding friends that like to laugh and ride. I do think someday I would like to try cyclocross, recently saw the Westend race on Sunday, thought it was pretty sweet.

Jon

Last edited by jjarvis; 12-11-06 at 09:46 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 12-12-06, 11:23 AM
bluebottle1
Kicked out of the Webelos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you're right in my neck of the woods. I'm a stone's throw north of 610 (just north of 43rd) and about five houses west of Ella. I'm a roadie, too. I mostly ride mornings and try to get out of town when I can, but, like you, that's not always the easiest. Shoot me a PM if you want to see about riding together some time. I'll warn you, it may be a few weeks before I'm available with Christmas coming up and all.

Kicked out of the Webelos.
Old 12-13-06, 05:23 PM
RdRash
OCP in Training

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to ride with you. I'm in the Galleria area. If ever you find yourself in that area, let me know and we'll ride !
Old 12-13-06, 08:27 PM
jjarvis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya man, i'll let you know. things are pretty tight right now, but there's so much more time after xmas. Try to build up a small gangle of us in the area to get a ride in.
Old 12-20-06, 09:32 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I'm not much of a long distance rider, more recreational. Just wanted to say I drive around that area just about all day. Mostly delivering auto parts to N Line and Dr. Gleem. Small world. I live over by Parker and the hardy toll road and ride to work until I get my second car up and running again. It sat ten years.,,,,BD

I may be able to start riding more seriously with a little company. Depends on the riding area I guess. I dodge cars on my ride three days a week, so it's hard to get motivated to do it for fun, lol.
Old 12-27-06, 11:28 AM
Orikal
flux capacitor

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Eros, 82 Univega (fixed), random year mtb frame for ss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live near 43rd and Rosslyn, so I'm just a short trip on the White Oak trail from you. I do mostly fixed urban riding, with the occassional 40-50 miler in the outlying areas. Send me a PM if you ever want to ride.
Old 12-27-06, 11:32 AM
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'all still planning on riding at some point? Don't live nearby, but as long as y'all don't start too early, I up for meeting up too.
Old 12-28-06, 08:16 AM
Houston_Biker

Bikes: Litespeed Saber, Fuji Team LE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of BF members will be riding this Saturday, December 30th in the Northwest Cyclery ride https://www.northwestcyclingclub.com/ beginning at 8:00am. The ride starts at Zube Park, which is about 10 miles West on of HW 6 on 290 off Roberts Road. We normally ride between 40 and 60 miles.

Directions: Take 290 West. Pass HW 6, Barker Cypress, etc. Exit Roberts Road. Turn right on Roberts Road, go 1/2 mile and the park is on the right.

There are riders of all speeds, but we normally ride in the 22+ group.

Let us know if any other BF members plan to come out!
Old 12-28-06, 09:35 AM
jjarvis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking about riding on saturday, if anyone is interested, figuring around 9:30 to 10am? If anyone's interested
Old 12-28-06, 07:13 PM
Bikedued

Shoot, have to give my wife a ride to work about 11 probably, downtown.,,,,BD
Old 01-11-07, 09:53 PM
dknight07
Slow as Hell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live near River Oaks (off Allen Parkway) and if its a day Im available, Im up for anything. My wife would prolly join as well. We're looking for any extra rides we can get in before the MS150. Any of you all ever ride out around Sealy or Cat Spring? Its about a 45 min drive west from town on I10, but its so worth it if you ask me.
Old 01-11-07, 10:01 PM
Bikedued

I went out to Pearland a while back, and a shop owner was showing me a route a lot of riders take out there. Not that I could ride a century or anything, but it would be nice to ride where coffee drinking, cell phone talking, inattentive drivers aren't whizzing by without a care in the world.,,,,BD
Old 01-16-07, 04:25 PM
RdRash
OCP in Training

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dknight07
I live near River Oaks (off Allen Parkway) and if its a day Im available, Im up for anything. My wife would prolly join as well. We're looking for any extra rides we can get in before the MS150. Any of you all ever ride out around Sealy or Cat Spring? Its about a 45 min drive west from town on I10, but its so worth it if you ask me.
I was planning on riding out in Sealy but to be honest I do not know of any routes out there. I was just gonna wing it. Any suggestions ? Where's Cat Springs at ?
Old 06-22-07, 09:12 AM
warp9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Houston_Biker
A couple of BF members will be riding this Saturday, December 30th in the Northwest Cyclery ride https://www.northwestcyclingclub.com/ beginning at 8:00am. The ride starts at Zube Park, which is about 10 miles West on of HW 6 on 290 off Roberts Road. We normally ride between 40 and 60 miles.

Directions: Take 290 West. Pass HW 6, Barker Cypress, etc. Exit Roberts Road. Turn right on Roberts Road, go 1/2 mile and the park is on the right.

There are riders of all speeds, but we normally ride in the 22+ group.

Let us know if any other BF members plan to come out!
So is the North West Cycling Club ride still going on Saturday mornings at 8:00 ?

I checked out their site and they mentioned that one should refer to the calander for specific ride times. But unfortunately I can't get the calander page to come up.
Old 06-22-07, 10:50 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I think it starts at 7:30 during the summer. I am not sure if they start from Zube Park or from the Hockley Community Center.
Old 06-22-07, 11:03 AM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it is starting at 7:30 from Zube park for the next few weeks anyway. They let everyone know by website if this changes. It is still a good large group that breaks up into several speeds and distance categories.

Aggie_grad
Old 06-22-07, 11:44 AM
warp9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggie_grad
Yes it is starting at 7:30 from Zube park for the next few weeks anyway. They let everyone know by website if this changes. It is still a good large group that breaks up into several speeds and distance categories.

Aggie_grad
Thanks, I appreciate the info!
Old 06-22-07, 12:41 PM
scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclocross race in Houston?? Do you know of any others, I am dying to do one of these courses.
Old 06-23-07, 05:05 PM
warp9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggie_grad

Aggie_grad
I missed out this time---I will try hard to make it next week.

But I hope everybody who made it had a good ride this morning!

I've never been to a group ride before, so I have one, possibly stupid, newbie question. . . .

I assume that everybody gets together for a bit to organize (find out which category everybody should be in, etc) before actually getting out on the road. So by "starting at 7:30" do you mean that people get going out on the ride at that time, or is that more when everybody gets together.

Or to put it another way, when should I actually try to get to the park? Should I try to be there at 7:30, or should I try to make it somewhat earlier?
Old 06-26-07, 03:26 PM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you should be there earlier. They leave out at 7:30. They will start by calling speed groups begining with 22+ average first and then work down the groups from there. If you are new then be sure to find the "new riders group" for the first few times. They ride between 20 and 35 miles and ensure that no one is left behind. They also help people learn what they should do while in a group. You won't feel lost with this group.