scattered73
Justin

Bikes: Soma Double Cross, KHS Urban Uno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling on Memorial Dr. in Houston

I notice that on Memorial Dr. on certain parts bicycles are banned on the roads on the west side in these small annexed towns. What is up with that, do they actually enforce this? What alternative routes could one take coming from Montrose to George Bush Park via bike or should I just ignore these silly signs. Another thing I noticed is that once you get back into Houston city limits it is immediately followed by a "Share the Road" sign, I thought that was nice on Houston's part.
Old 12-03-07, 12:49 PM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes it is enforced. I tried to go from George Bush Park to the zoo through that way. There were two cops sitting on the side of the road enforcing that. I was instructed to use the path along the side of the road. It turned out not as bad as I thought. The path had been smoothed and straightened so you could still ride 20 mph but I took extra caution at driveway crossings to be spotted. I believe the area that is restricted is less than a mile and then I got back on the road. I would probaly take San Felipe next time to bypass that part.
Old 12-03-07, 01:05 PM
scattered73
Justin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San felipe still doesn't get you out of the woods, I have tried that route and I still see a sign along Memorial Dr. after san felipe merges with memorial.
Old 12-22-07, 10:43 AM
PJones0012

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've taken that route once and rode the sidewalk the entire way. Didn't get stopped but didn't see any cops either. As far as I'm concerned riding on Memorial is a death wish. If the cops want to run me down to issue a ticket, let em. I would be all to willing to contest the ticket, make the cop appear in court and plead my case to the magistrate. Sometimes you gotta disobey the law for your own safety. Just because it's the law doesn't make it right.
Old 12-23-07, 09:22 AM
dr. nate

Bikes: K2 Mach 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Felipe which becomes Memorial for a bit, and then becomes Briar Forest which will take you all the way to Highway 6 (and a parking lot for George Bush Park/Terry Hershey Trail). You can also access that trail at various points around the area your speaking off. I have ridden the Briar Forest/San Felipe route several times with no issues.

Here is a linke to the hike/bike trail: https://www.pct3.hctx.net/PTerry/Layout.pdf

-Nate
Old 12-30-07, 05:56 PM
scattered73
Justin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Dr. Nate will take that route next time.