Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How long you can stop training without loosing your edge?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

How long you can stop training without loosing your edge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 05:18 PM
nemeseri

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL build, CAAD10, Bianchi Pista '13, Litespeed Antares '03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
How long you can stop training without losing your edge?

I know that sometimes resting for a week (or two) can actually help you recover and make you stronger when you return to your training cycle. But how long you can stay off the bike without hurting your edge? I know that's probably very personal and depends on your level, but I'd like to hear your personal opinion.

Last October I had a bike accident and I had to skip training for 3 months. I kept commuting with my single speed, but I didn't do big climbs or long rides. It took me around 3-4 weeks to get back to the same level I had been before the accident.
I know this is a little bit different than what I asked, but still, I was surprised how much it hurt when I climbed my regular category 2 training hill for the first time. I just don't want to feel this again and make sure I never skip training for too long.

So where is the fine line between useful resting and loosing your edge?
Old 04-27-15, 05:51 PM
Snicklefritz

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nemeseri
I know that sometimes resting for a week (or two) can actually help you recover and make you stronger when you return to your training cycle. But how long you can stay off the bike without hurting your edge? I know that's probably very personal and depends on your level, but I'd like to hear your personal opinion.

Last October I had a bike accident and I had to skip training for 3 months. I kept commuting with my single speed, but I didn't do big climbs or long rides. It took me around 3-4 weeks to get back to the same level I had been before the accident.
I know this is a little bit different than what I asked, but still, I was surprised how much it hurt when I climbed my regular category 2 training hill for the first time. I just don't want to feel this again and make sure I never skip training for too long.

So where is the fine line between useful resting and loosing your edge?

Back when I was racing regularly and doing long distance events, I figured this out through trial and error in addition to data analysis from my power meter. There were times I thought I sucked, but my power meter said otherwise. Then there were times I felt tired and truly was, as confirmed by a lower power output.

What worked for me was 3 weeks on, one week off. The three weeks were very hard, increasing in difficulty each week until I felt I was just on the verge of overtraining. Then I would take a week off to do easy spinning and a few moderate rides, maybe 20-25 miles each time, but no major climbs, no intervals, etc. So the "off" week wasn't entirely off. Out of 7 days I might have had 1-2 days off the bike and then 5 doing something easy.

There were a few times my training was interrupted by the flu or whatever and I had to take a week or week and a half off the bike. I didn't feel like I lost that much in the way of fitness.

More than 2 weeks and I think I would have noticed something, although I was never really off the bike for that long. When I was on vacation for that amount of time, I just ran and did other stuff like aerobics or other workout DVD.

I'm sure other people will chime in with their own experiences too.
Old 04-28-15, 05:18 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
In my anecdotal (mostly running, BTW) experience, up to one week was 'just good rest' WRT a good upcoming performance or workout. Somewhere between 1 week and 2 weeks was when there was a detectable (mostly back in the pre-HRM days) drop in performance.

dave
Old 04-28-15, 06:39 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Three days of doing nothing and I notice it on the 4th day. Two days are fine. If I have to take a week completely off, I have to start back with endurance work for a week. I once took a winter off, and it took me all summer to get it back all the way. There's a big difference between being able to ride and having that edge where you can attack and just be gone.

But I'm talking about doing nothing. Cutting the volume and intensity back every few weeks is normal training and a good idea.

That said, it can be a good idea to take a midseason week completely off and come back with an endurance block to restart your training. Keeps the boredom at bay and is a nice refresher.
Old 04-29-15, 05:56 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by nemeseri
Coggan's model has fatigue decaying to zero over a 7 day period and fitness over a 42 day period, although other researchers came up with different numbers in that neighborhood and individuals vary.

(as asgelle notes below, this is wrong - it's exponential decay)

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-29-15 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 07:57 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Coggan's model has fatigue decaying to zero over a 7 day period and fitness over a 42 day period, although other researchers came up with different numbers in that neighborhood and individuals vary.
You misrepresent Coggan's performance manager in a way that is almost frightening. Coggan uses an exponential weighted average with time constants of 7 and 42 days as a starting point. That's a far cry from saying things go to 0 in a fixed time.
Old 04-29-15, 08:17 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
You misrepresent Coggan's performance manager in a way that is almost frightening. Coggan uses an exponential weighted average with time constants of 7 and 42 days as a starting point. That's a far cry from saying things go to 0 in a fixed time.
Yup. They say memory is the second thing to go, and I forget the first thing. It only feels like zero after a long layoff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pmc.jpg (84.3 KB, 16 views)