Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nice Winter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Nice Winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 10:59 PM
Hhowdy
I survived lotoja

Bikes: Kona Dawg-Deelux, Raliegh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Winter

Howdy,
Those of us living here in northern Utah are loving these mid 40's days. Last year at this time we were riding in the mid teens, fog, snow, ice etc but this year no inversion, very little snow and many nice days. How are things in other parts?

M.R.
Old 01-15-06, 12:17 AM
zachw

Bikes: C'dale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was in the 70s the last couple weeks but now it's in the 60s here in Northeast Texas, yeah, it's rough
Old 01-15-06, 06:11 AM
TCNJCyclist
Olé Olé Olé Olé T-C...N-J

Bikes: 1985 Trek 620, 2005 Cannondale R700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overall (excluding the last 3 days), it's been very nice here too. It was in the 50s on Monday (I did 40 miles). Unfortunately, Friday's mid/high 50s temps were ruined by a dense fog that never lifted. It poured yesterday (high 50s) and now we have 3+ inches of snow on the ground.

At least this upcoming Friday looks promising.

Bike & Build
NJ Bike Map
Old 01-15-06, 06:17 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Portland, OR says 40 degrees and rain. I'll be out at 0900.

Love this town.

-Z
Old 01-15-06, 07:45 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Hhowdy
Howdy,
Those of us living here in northern Utah are loving these mid 40's days. Last year at this time we were riding in the mid teens, fog, snow, ice etc but this year no inversion, very little snow and many nice days. How are things in other parts?

M.R.
It's OK to enjoy warm winter weather but you never say the words "Nice winter" in Janurary. That kind of talk has a way of coming back to haunt you.
Old 01-15-06, 08:11 AM
Thomill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completely atypical for Chicago and northern Illinois. Last week, highs hit near 55F! Now it's back to upper 30's which is stilll 5-10F above normal for this time of year, I believe. No complaints here.

T
Old 01-15-06, 08:40 AM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here in central Indiana, we've been having a heat wave! On Jan 2, it hit 70deg F and our average temp for Jan is 25 deg! We've had several days in the 60s since Christmas. I guess there's something to be said for global warming!
Old 01-15-06, 10:17 AM
John Wilke

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The weather sucks! 40's in January?? Cyclists NEED months of sub freezing temps and hours of snow shoveling to develop a deep yearning to ride ... the craving to climb a hill. Hours of toiling on the XC skis in sub-zero temperatures with frozen feet develop a toughness to the environment like no other. There is no substitute for the great feeling of tired legs, a sore butt, and dirty bike after that first spring ride following a long, hard winter. To feel the wind on your face and not have it sting for the first time in months is like being reborn!

jw
Old 01-15-06, 02:35 PM
Thrifty1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Minot broke the high temp record yesterday.......52 degrees and no snow. Last January, our highs never reached zero for 3 weeks and about 2.5 ft of snow from October to April.
I'm loving the lower heating expenses!!!
Old 01-15-06, 09:50 PM
Hhowdy
I survived lotoja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy,
I spoke to soon, it's snowing now and will snow all night, That means no miles tomorrow and possibly the next day....

M.R.
Old 01-15-06, 10:16 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wilke
The weather sucks! 40's in January?? Cyclists NEED months of sub freezing temps and hours of snow shoveling to develop a deep yearning to ride ... the craving to climb a hill. Hours of toiling on the XC skis in sub-zero temperatures with frozen feet develop a toughness to the environment like no other. There is no substitute for the great feeling of tired legs, a sore butt, and dirty bike after that first spring ride following a long, hard winter. To feel the wind on your face and not have it sting for the first time in months is like being reborn!
Absolutely right, JW.

Without a reasonably tough winter the spring just isn't that enjoyable. I've often wondered about how the Florida and California experience is without a winter/spring. I think I would miss it.

Spring is just . . . wonderful! (as he starts to tear up and reaches for a tissue).
Old 01-15-06, 10:17 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Howdy,
I spoke to soon, it's snowing now and will snow all night, That means no miles tomorrow and possibly the next day....

M.R.

Awww, that's a shame!
Old 01-15-06, 10:20 PM
sprcoop
Turned me into a newt!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 35 miles yesterday afternoon after working in the morning. I wore a light jersey and it felt like 80 but I'm sure it was only 75. My porch thermometer said 90 but I think the sun was hitting one corner. Walked the dogs a couple miles today in shorts and a T shirt. Even my wife took off her sweater and anything under 75 is snowing to her. Only supposed to hit 60 tomorrow. We are having a bit of a cold snap, only supposed to hit 60 tomorrow. Sure hope it warms up soon. Looking to do 50 or 60 miles tomorrow after a short job in the AM.
Old 01-15-06, 10:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by sprcoop
We are having a bit of a cold snap, only supposed to hit 60 tomorrow.
That's a shame.

(psst . . . I hate this guy!)
Old 01-15-06, 10:33 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No. California has had major rain from mid-December through this week. My weekend rides took it on the chin for awhile. Fortunately I was able to ride both Sat. and Sun. last week and yesterday and today. I do feel sorry for those in snow country who have to sit it out until next spring, although HipCycler seems to get out now and again even though he lives in Wisconsin.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 01-15-06, 11:39 PM
Mach42

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660 Triple, 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, that's old news now. Utah finally got hit with a decent snowstorm today. I got around 5 inches where I am in south Salt Lake City. Hopefully, it will keep going tomorrow, because I've just had my first ICEBIKE experience!. I know this is the road forum, but Rockhopper held up nicely while riding around my neighborhood tonight. There were a lot of frozen over tire tracks and slick ice, but it wasn't too bad since the snowplows got most of it. The Specialized Hemisphere Armadillos I had on did a decent job at 10 mph, but there were some scary moments. I'll need some Nokians next year so I can get to speeds where I can break some bones.
Old 01-16-06, 02:11 AM
theshoemaker
Jacko nose historian

Bikes: 2006 52cm Trek 2200, Specialized Rockhopper (gets infrequent use unfortunately)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy,

M.R.
No kidding. Yesterday I was riding with thin layers. It's late now and I've got 3 - 4 inches on the lawn. They're calling this a possible "worst" snow storm of the season here. Don't worry, the way things have been so freakishly warm it'll all be melted my lunch tomorrow.

Old 01-16-06, 09:34 AM
DEKKERFAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15 (like -2) here in Boston. Winds a steady 21 mph. I'm charging my electric insoles now to go for about 15 or 20 miles (or until frozen). Sounds bad but us roadies up here are just thankful there is no snow.
Old 01-16-06, 02:56 PM
paednoch
Touchdown Iowa!

Bikes: A blue one, a red one, and a purple one, also a black and gold one.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is 32 out was 50 yesterday here in Iowa. 50 degrees in january in Iowa is like 50 degrees in witchita falls tx in august it just don't happen. last year on this date it was -9 (f). Of course when it is above 30 degrees I ride unless snow or rain. Riding in cold makes a feller tough as nails (and stupid). I can't complain about it here the cold weather is a trade off for the world class education our kids get in public schools here. Most kids are reading books BEFORE the finish kindergarten. That and the fact that the most heinous crime committed in our town was when my neihbors poodle was ***** by a stray hound/collie mix. Oh did I mention virtually NO cars or trucks and miles and miles of pristine blacktop in all directions. Oh well time to light a fire.
Old 01-16-06, 03:57 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by paednoch
. . . . the most heinous crime committed in our town was when my neighbor's poodle was ***** by a stray hound/collie mix.
Yeah, right, she was *****!!

Tramp!

Old 01-16-06, 04:21 PM
JF1

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 3 Composite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by theshoemaker
Don't worry, the way things have been so freakishly warm it'll all be melted by lunch tomorrow.

Looks like you were right. Went out at noon today for a short 40 minute ride. Was pretty cold though.
Old 01-16-06, 11:20 PM
Hhowdy
I survived lotoja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy,
Yep, Nice day today, mid 30's light wind. I'll try to get my International Center to Saltaire ride in at lunch tomorrow then snow Wed?!?!

M.R.
Old 01-17-06, 12:10 AM
theshoemaker
Jacko nose historian

Bikes: 2006 52cm Trek 2200, Specialized Rockhopper (gets infrequent use unfortunately)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy,
Yep, Nice day today, mid 30's light wind. I'll try to get my International Center to Saltaire ride in at lunch tomorrow then snow Wed?!?!

M.R.
Off topic: What's with all of the stupid gates along that airport bike path nowadays?

Forecast shows that temps are actually supposed to be in the thirties most of this week. ...well, upper thirties.
Old 01-17-06, 12:33 AM
gm1230126
barnfullagts

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewbert
Here in central Indiana, we've been having a heat wave! On Jan 2, it hit 70deg F and our average temp for Jan is 25 deg! We've had several days in the 60s since Christmas. I guess there's something to be said for global warming!

I suppose you think the 20 degree below normal weather we had in late November and early December can be attributed to global warming too? Just kidding. I think we are in for more winter like weather in February, March and April, although an early milder spring would be a great way to start the riding season.
Old 01-17-06, 10:34 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's nice to ride, but it's way, way, way too dry. We had gotten over a foot of snow through the winter by this time last year and got another foot and a half or so from this time through February. Not a snowflake so far this year. I like getting more days on the bike, but it's gonna be a firepit in May.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.