Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Better with age

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Better with age

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 06:56 PM
Hhowdy
I survived lotoja

Bikes: Kona Dawg-Deelux, Raliegh Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better with age

Howdy,
Today on my commute home xray and I caught up with a guy on a comfort style bike, or so we thought. He was getting along pretty good but we caught him pretty easily. As we came around the end of the Salt Lake Airport we stepped our speed up to 24-25 and cruised along for about 2 miles, I looked back and I'll be damned this guy was right on my wheel. When we got to the gate I held it open for him, as he came by I noticed he was 10 years my senior, me being 46 years old I would put this guy about 55 or so. I was impressed, he pushed that fat tire 24 mph and hung with us for quite some time.
I sure hope I'm in that kind of shape 10 years from now.

M.R.
Old 05-09-06, 07:20 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love being dusted by 60-70 year olds. It gives me hope for my future
<-31 years old

I also enjoy being left in the dust by 15 year olds. It gives me hope for their future. Not everyone is obese!
Old 05-09-06, 09:01 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I saw a obese (+- 30 pounds overweight) highschool student crank it up chasing me. He was riding an Allez, and I had the hardest time trying to catch with him. Things got flat and he got his momentum going at +- 24 miles per hour, and I was still trying to catch up. When things got slightly uphill he started to loose ground; his power to weight ratio was pulling him down. I did not have the heart to pass him, I swear. We got to the parking lot at the same time, locked the bikes, and I told him that he impressed me in a very good way. Conversely, he expressed his surprise to see someone almost twice his age cranking up he hill like I was without loosing my breath.
He is probably the only senior in his highschool that rides a bike as transportation, also he has the nicest bike of all the bunch. He rides road clipless, and wears loose fitting breathable short and polo shirt.

I would give him 10% more grade than the other lazy asses If I could.

On the other side of the spectrum, there is an university professor that I know that commutes most days at least 10 miles. He has a nice 2 mile 7% average climb, and he is at least 55 years old. He spins smoothly wearing slacks and shirt, carrying stuff on his milk crate. I had encountered him on my commute a few times, and he is probably one of the few people without DUI's that I know that commutes around my area.

It is nice to see that, the old and the young end of the spectrum