Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Tandem Ride with Kids

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 06:08 AM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My kids and I took our first ride on the Tandem. I bought the tandem over a year ago knowing this day would come. It went better than I ever imagined. The 3.5 year old son (AKA daredevil) wanted to go first. He wasn't scared at all. He wanted to go faster. We rode around the block several times at up to 13mph without issue. He was laughing and waving the whole time. By the end he kept trying to ride no handed. My 4.5 year old daughter had always been scared but after watching her brother she wanted to ride also. She did just as good. We have a ride planned today where one will ride and the other has to use the trailer. I see a fight coming on. The only solution is another tandem. I will attach pictures if I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
6-2-2006-05edited.jpg (99.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg
6-2-2006-08edited.jpg (96.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-03-06, 07:22 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Lookin' great!
Suggestion: one kid pedals tandem on the way out on the ride; on the way back the kid who rode the trailer gets to pedal!
A few years up the road: 2 tandems; one piloted by dad, the other by mom.
Old 06-03-06, 08:39 PM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, we did the trailer thing today. One got to ride one way and the other rode back. It was a very nice 15 miles. I know we could have gone further because none of us were tired; however, the playground caught the attention of both stokers. This was far more successful than my wife and I pulling both kids in the trailer. They didn't fight once.