Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Sirrus or Crostrail

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Sirrus or Crostrail

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-17, 01:03 PM
skids929

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sirrus or Crostrail

Looking to get opinions..I recently rode and really liked the Sirrus (and the Trek FX5), but took a Cross trail (Comp) home that isn't the right size so it's going back-thing is you can't get the Crosstrail Comp in a large anymore. So I now have a choice to make another decision on a bike and having second thoughts on the Crosstrail altogether. I think what I like is the speed of the Sirrus/FX5 but also the more upright position, but the Crosstrail seems more versatile.

My question for the forum is, is it possibly to put a more aggressive tire on the Sirrus to extend it's versatility, so I could use it a bit offroad or would I need a second set of wheels? Be interested to see if anyone has made this bike lean more towards Crosstrailing than street. I don't expect anything crazy for offroad just want the option. Mostly the bike will be used for 5-10 mile fitness jaunts when I can't run, and neighborhood rides/weekend trips with the family (all of whom have hybrids or kid MTBs). I am definitely leaning toward a carbon frame at this point and I upped the budget so it is right up around $2k.

Recommend away!

Last edited by skids929; 04-18-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-18-17, 01:32 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Looks like the Sirrus can handle 700x38 tires: https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...-sirrus-9.html

If you aren't riding alot of rough trails, the Sirrus should be fine. Rough meaning, hitting lots of tree roots and rocks.
Old 04-18-17, 02:29 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Specialized > Trek
Old 04-18-17, 02:31 PM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman

If you aren't riding alot of rough trails, the Sirrus should be fine. Rough meaning, hitting lots of tree roots and rocks.
Thanks...I probably should find a way to try out a Sirrus on rougher terrain. I am imaging it to be a bit jarring, but maybe with a larger tire not so much.
Old 04-18-17, 02:43 PM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Specialized > Trek
Does that mean you like Specialized better than the Trek? I agree 100%, but I have to say the Trek FX 5 Sport was nice. I liked how the entire bike was Shimano grouped.

I should also mention I have a true MTB, it's about 23 years old uncomfortable to ride, Cannondale M2000 with an original Manitou (rebuilt) all Deore XT, and the bike is recently tuned/cabled. So when it comes to off road alternatives I guess I own one. But if I had a Sirrus or a Crosstrail I'd have a hard time going back to that thing.
Old 04-18-17, 03:07 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by skids929
Looking to get opinions..I recently rode and really liked the Sirrus (and the Trek FX5), but took a Cross trail (Comp) home that isn't the right size so it's going back-thing is you can't get the Crosstrail Comp in a large anymore. So I now have a choice to make another decision on a bike and having second thoughts on the Crosstrail altogether. I think what I like is the speed of the Sirrus/FX5 but also the more upright position, but the Crosstrail seems more versatile.

My question for the forum is, is it possibly to put a more aggressive tire on the Sirrus to extend it's versatility, so I could use it a bit offroad or would I need a second set of wheels? Be interested to see if anyone has made this bike lean more towards Crosstrailing than street. I don't expect anything crazy for offroad just want the option. Mostly the bike will be used for 5-10 mile fitness jaunts when I can't run, and neighborhood rides/weekend trips with the family (all of whom have hybrids or kid MTBs). I am definitely leaning toward a carbon frame at this point and I upped the budget so it is right up around $2k.

Recommend away!
You can definitely swap in better tires than the stock tires those bikes come with. I'm currently running Clement MXP tires which are cyclocross all arounders that have a center tread pattern for pavement, and side nubs for loose dirt/hardpack. I mostly ride gravel where having tread is for the most part over rated, but this is a tire that is higher TPI sidewalls, so with lower pressure rolls nicely over a lot of stuff. I hear some buzz on pavement, but my speed doesn't seem to be impacted. They are pretty darn light, but not terribly wide either. Most of the other tires I've used personally are best on gravel/pavement, not really for trails, but typically anything geared towards cyclocross would probably work well for trails.

With the budget you have in mind, I guess I'd tend to gravitate towards an actual adventure/cyclocross type bike, though the hybrids will do what you have in mind perfectly well. Just a thought to consider, as most of the adventure/gravel/cyclocross bikes frequently have you in nearly as upright a position as the typical hybrid, or it can be made to be that way.
Old 04-18-17, 03:37 PM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
You can definitely swap in better tires than the stock tires those bikes come with. I'm currently running Clement MXP tires which are cyclocross all arounders that have a center tread pattern for pavement, and side nubs for loose dirt/hardpack. I mostly ride gravel where having tread is for the most part over rated, but this is a tire that is higher TPI sidewalls, so with lower pressure rolls nicely over a lot of stuff. I hear some buzz on pavement, but my speed doesn't seem to be impacted. They are pretty darn light, but not terribly wide either. Most of the other tires I've used personally are best on gravel/pavement, not really for trails, but typically anything geared towards cyclocross would probably work well for trails.

With the budget you have in mind, I guess I'd tend to gravitate towards an actual adventure/cyclocross type bike, though the hybrids will do what you have in mind perfectly well. Just a thought to consider, as most of the adventure/gravel/cyclocross bikes frequently have you in nearly as upright a position as the typical hybrid, or it can be made to be that way.

Awesome thanks great information...When you say Cyclocross, does that mean something like the Sirrus? Or is there another category I am missing that I should be looking at? Sorry for the dumb question. New to hybrids anything oriented to the road.

What bike are you riding?
Old 04-18-17, 03:41 PM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh wait I found them on Specializeds' website..Those bikes are awesome! Full drops though. Is that basically the same frame as a Sirrus?
Old 04-18-17, 03:56 PM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Looks like the Sirrus can handle 700x38 tires:
Everything in this link to this thread says nothing over a 32c will work on a Sirrus. Where are you seeing it can run a 38?
Old 04-18-17, 04:57 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Everything in this link to this thread says nothing over a 32c will work on a Sirrus. Where are you seeing it can run a 38?
You are looking at the current carbon-framed Sirrus, yes? 35s should be no problem; 38s you'd want to check on, but for the kind of riding you describe 35s or even 32s should be more than adequate.

Choose your bar type (flat or drop), choose your desired tire clearance, then choose your bike. Lots of options these days, with the proliferation of so-called 'gravel' or 'adventure' drop-bar bikes -- which are, really, just drop-bar bikes with sensible tire clearance. Ignore the marketing nonsense.

As to riding something like a Sirrus on non-technical off-road? No problem with sensible tires. I ride mine (2010 w/32s, which is all it will swallow; pic below) on gravel and dirt all the time. The trick is to 'ride light', using your arms and legs as shocks and keeping your rear end off the saddle when necessary. I'm 65 with lots of physical issues, and I've no problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sirrus September 16.jpg (97.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 04-18-17, 06:45 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Post 241 shows and he stated he put on 700x38's and looked like he could have had larger, BUT...it's on a Sirrus Sport (in yellow). I didn't realize the dimensions would be that much different on a carbon though, I had assumed they would have been similar bu.....
Old 04-18-17, 07:16 PM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
You are looking at the current carbon-framed Sirrus, yes? 35s should be no problem; 38s you'd want to check on, but for the kind of riding you describe 35s or even 32s should be more than adequate.

Choose your bar type (flat or drop), choose your desired tire clearance, then choose your bike. Lots of options these days, with the proliferation of so-called 'gravel' or 'adventure' drop-bar bikes -- which are, really, just drop-bar bikes with sensible tire clearance. Ignore the marketing nonsense.

As to riding something like a Sirrus on non-technical off-road? No problem with sensible tires. I ride mine (2010 w/32s, which is all it will swallow; pic below) on gravel and dirt all the time. The trick is to 'ride light', using your arms and legs as shocks and keeping your rear end off the saddle when necessary. I'm 65 with lots of physical issues, and I've no problem.
Thanks yeah I am surprised the Sport would have that difference must be a completely different fork geometry. I will have to measure them if they're both at the store. I called specialized on the two top Carbon models and they said their spec does't recommend anything more than a 32, but it's possible to fit something else if I wanted to try it. Guess I would just have to try if I end up going Sirrus. Still eyeballing the top of the line Crosstrail, but it's not as nice a spec, but decent for what it is. They key with the Sirrus will be to see what kind of tire I can run on it, that will be the deal breaker for me.
Old 04-20-17, 07:12 PM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Have you finalized a decision yet?
Old 04-23-17, 08:08 AM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
Have you finalized a decision yet?
yep I am getting the Sirrus Expert. The LBS put a 32 on it for me just reassure me that tire would fit. I can say with confidence nothing more than a 32 will fit on the carbon frames without rubbing. But the 32 looked good to me, makes the bike look mean and ready for anything.