Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Microshift R7 brifters and Shimano Acera rd

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 10:47 PM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Been surfing the ‘net, these forums and others but came up with nothing. So I decided to ask here:
I’m building a budget monstercross GT Palomer 26’er which has 7 speed freewheel and rd, and would like to know:
1-does pairing Microshift R7 brifters with Shimano Acera mtb rd work?
2-Also I want to reuse the Promax v brakes, would these play nice with the brifters or do
I need to add Travel Agents?
3-I guess I need a new quill-threadless converter as well as a new short stem to utilise the new 31.8 gravel bars on the market?
Old 11-26-20, 08:03 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
1. Yes, they should work together.
2. Probably not work together. All but "mini" V-brakes require long pull brake levers and road brifters are short pull. You will need Travel Agents.
3. Yes, I don't know of any quill stems that have 31.8 mm bar clamps.
Old 11-26-20, 08:49 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
So no frt der? The road shifters won't agree with the MtB ft der if so... Andy
Old 11-26-20, 10:01 AM
spikyone

Bikes: Teen Verge P9 EKO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Aha..thanks! Thats my question answered then. Guess that means i’ll have to source for a road fd as well or fork out more cash to go 1x.
Old 11-26-20, 10:52 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
3. They DO make quill stems with 31.8mm clamp diameter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351904277893
Old 11-30-20, 12:57 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts
Wondering if anyone has experience with any of the chinese no-name Microshift R7 brifter clones. There’s a good amount of them on amazon and ebay and they’re pretty cheap (as low as $40/set) but not sure about quality and durability. Guess I could buy a set on amazon prime ones and return them if they don’t work out. Used Shimano RSX(?) ones are over $100 on ebay but they’re metal and presumably rock solid.
Old 11-30-20, 04:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76
Wondering if anyone has experience with any of the chinese no-name Microshift R7 brifter clones. There’s a good amount of them on amazon and ebay and they’re pretty cheap (as low as $40/set) but not sure about quality and durability. Guess I could buy a set on amazon prime ones and return them if they don’t work out. Used Shimano RSX(?) ones are over $100 on ebay but they’re metal and presumably rock solid.
The Microshift R7 seems plasticky inside but mine have held up well, no problems. I've seen some speculation that MicroNew are the same under a different name but I'm not sure that's correct.

I see on Amazon some complaints about the MicroNew integrated shifter internal bits breaking under normal use. And there are complaints that any warranty claims need to go through the manufacturer in China, a convoluted process. I thought about ordering a set of MicroNew because Microshift are scarce now, but I think I'll wait for the Microshift to be available since they appear to be reliable.