Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Trek T1 as a Light Commuter

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 07-28-14, 10:42 PM
heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new around here, but I've been lurking for years. I made a terrible mistake on my first ss/fixie build last year and all of the information and insight here got me back on the road. So thanks for that.

Anyway... I live in a historic district and I'm looking for a basic ss/fixie commuter to ride to the farmer's market, tavern, etc. I had my heart set on a Fuji Classic Track, but the only Fuji dealer between here and Japan doesn't carry it. However, he sort of felt me out to see what it was I was looking for in a bike and said he had a handful of 2012 Trek T1 holdouts left in his shop that he'd let go "for a good price" (whatever the hell that means... I'm waiting on him to call me back before I drive an hour to his shop). Anyway... He said they were trying to get rid of them and that they'd probably just let it go at cost. I don't know what "cost" is on a T1, because all of the MSRP numbers are gone from the Trek Archives, but I'm assuming it'll be about a $500 bike.

So... All that being said, would you guys recommend the T1 as a basic commuter for neighborhood galavanting? I'll probably dump a little cash in it along and along to spiffy it up a bit, but really, I'm just wanting something to get me around the 'hood.

I've read a good bit about the T1 and it seems to be a bit of a polarizing bike. Some people hate it because it's a track bike and not fit for road use and others love it because it's a track bike that's cheap enough to bounce around town on without breaking the bank.

I know the components aren't the best on the market, but upgrading stuff along and along is half the fun, isn't it?

I'd definitely appreciate some insight from you guys.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

Last edited by heymatthew; 07-31-14 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 11:06 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Do you have plans in the future to hit up the track or an alleycat race? If not, a super stiff and aggressive bike may not be practicable.
Old 07-28-14, 11:15 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Do you have plans in the future to hit up the track or an alleycat race? If not, a super stiff and aggressive bike may not be practicable.
Nah. No plans to race. I was worried the T1 would be too stiff. Looks like you answered that question.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-29-14, 09:50 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
The frame or the complete is $500?

If the complete is $500, I'm sure I'm not alone in suggesting a kilo tt.
Old 07-29-14, 10:04 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux

I'm looking at the Kilos. I've actually been looking at the Stripper as I love the idea of not having decals. There's a shop local to me that carries State bikes which I am not opposed to either. I realize they're a little "hipsterish" but I think their frames are decent and can be built up pretty easily, which I plan on doing as I'm able. I'm going to look a those this afternoon and maybe take a test ride. The good thing is my wife wants a bike as well and the guy seemed sort of interested in like a twofer deal since I'd be buying two at once.

I spent a LONG time in the Kilo photos threads and really dig them for their style and simplicity. I built up a pretty snazzy ss/fixie a while back using a Kilo frame from Bike Island and it was pretty solid for the money. I didn't really want to go that route yet as I'm looking to ride and add on as I'm able.

Thanks for your input. I'll definitely keep looking at my Kilo options.
Old 07-29-14, 10:47 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Wspsux

Originally Posted by heymatthew
I'm looking at the Kilos. I've actually been looking at the Stripper as I love the idea of not having decals. There's a shop local to me that carries State bikes which I am not opposed to either. I realize they're a little "hipsterish" but I think their frames are decent and can be built up pretty easily, which I plan on doing as I'm able. I'm going to look a those this afternoon and maybe take a test ride. The good thing is my wife wants a bike as well and the guy seemed sort of interested in like a twofer deal since I'd be buying two at once.

I spent a LONG time in the Kilo photos threads and really dig them for their style and simplicity. I built up a pretty snazzy ss/fixie a while back using a Kilo frame from Bike Island and it was pretty solid for the money. I didn't really want to go that route yet as I'm looking to ride and add on as I'm able.

Thanks for your input. I'll definitely keep looking at my Kilo options.
Anyone suggesting a Kilo over a T1 complete for close to same price has been drinking too much of the Bikesdirect kool-aide. There are plenty of guys, more than a few of them in this forum, who do the light commute/neighborhood runabout thing quite happily on alu track bikes.
Old 07-29-14, 11:08 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I think the MSRP for it was around $900 or 1000; which would make $500 a pretty hefty discount for the complete.
Better yet try to talk him down from $500 into the 400's to sweeten the deal.

Compared to a kilo this is a killer deal for a couple more dollars which you can save here and there. I would take this over a kilott any day. Kilo tt's can be had for cheap on craigslist besides...
Old 07-29-14, 11:53 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I didn't realize the price was heavily discounted from retail.
Old 07-29-14, 12:06 PM
One4Five145

Bikes: Leader 725 55cm ... Bianchi Pista 51cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My buddy has a T1. Nice bike and very light.
Old 07-29-14, 12:12 PM
sbs z31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is this said "lbs" because I wouldn't mind a T1 if they have it in my size.
Old 07-29-14, 12:14 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 421 Posts
Buy the Trek T1 and I will trade you a brand new Charge Plug 1.
Old 07-29-14, 12:39 PM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bikepedia says the MSRP on that year of T1 was about $830 USD. I have no idea what the dealer's cost would be.

As long as the roads aren't too beat up in your area you shouldn't have any trouble commuting on that style of bike. I ride a similar bike, the 2010 Fuji Track Comp, and it works well for me. (well, I ride the Surly when it's wet because fenders) I'd be concerned if I had to lock it up unattended very often, though.

Which hasn't been mentioned or asked yet. Will you have to lock it up unattended very often? Will you have to lock it up in sketchy neighborhoods? If so, I'd suggest something cheap that doesn't draw attention to itself. (or just make sure yours is never the nicest bike on the rack )
Old 07-29-14, 01:15 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Go for it. Looks like a sweet bike.
Old 07-29-14, 03:56 PM
NinetiesKid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden a singlespeed Trek T1 as a daily commuter for a few years, ~16mi daily on the commute, add'tl miles for grocery, bar, etc. Even though I don't race, I opted for a stiffer bike to make the hills here a little easier on me.

I guess the ride can be a bit harsh, but I've learned my routes and avoid bumps as best I can. I have also ridden primarily aluminum bikes, so I don't have a great counterfactual.

Note that mine isn't stock, I'm not sure what the stock components are like if that's what you go for.
Old 07-29-14, 06:31 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright guys... Thanks for all of the input.

You know that old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is?" Well... it was. I went to the shop and the guy I've been talking to wasn't around. Instead there were two other people, an incompetent woman and an even more incompetent man. They had the bikes priced at $959 plus tax. I mentioned that they were discontinued and the man said that Trek brought them back for 2014. Which was a lie. Strike one. They offered to sell it to me for $750, out the door. I explained that MSRP on the bike was under $900 and that it was a discontinued bike that had been sitting on a shelf for 2 years and he basically told me to take it or walk.

I decided to walk and before I left, he said he'd do it for $650 OTD. He actually had my interest at that point as the other bike I looked at was a State Bicycle Co. Contender at the same exact price point. He then proceeded to tell me I needed to buy pedals and that after tax, etc. I'd be back up at the $750 mark. Not to mention, he tried to tell me that the best pedals for that bike were some giant MTB pedals that had a surface area the size of the state of Texas.

Basically, they gave me the runaround, completely ignored the previous offers I had received, etc. I'm not one for negotiating so I just walked. If anyone in the South Carolina area wants a Trek T1 and you don't mind dinking around with a couple of bike shop workers, there's a bike shop in Columbia that has them in stock. They've got 5 2012 T1's in stock. One is lightly used (still priced at $959). I personally don't trust them as far as I can throw a T1, especially given they lied to me about Trek resurrecting the T1 for 2014 (which is a blatant lie) and the fact that they don't have any interest in honoring over-the-phone commitments.

I mean, I assumed that when I said I had a $550 budget and the guy said, "Definitely swing by. We want these T1's gone and we can get you in one for sure!" that the guy meant he could get me into my bike at my budget.

That's what I get for assuming.

I did check out the bike pretty thoroughly and while it seemed really, really nice, the geometry was a bit aggressive for me so I'm not sure it would have been a great fit, even at the $500 price point I was hoping for.

Again, thanks for all of the insight and information. You guys are the cat's meow of the cycling world. I will definitely keep looking around and see what I can come up with. If you guys want to chime in with suggestions (other than a Kilo TT, Stripper, Pro, etc.) in my price range (up to, but not exceeding $600-650), I'd be glad to hear them. Even if it's entry-level and I have to do some upgrading along and along. I really enjoy working on bikes and tinkering and I'm not afraid to bust out a wrench to make something my own. I just don't want to start from scratch.

Best,
Matthew
Old 07-29-14, 07:41 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Awww it's a shame it didnt work out for you.
Were they willing to sell it to you without pedals? You can always buy nicer* pedals elsewhere....

Originally Posted by heymatthew
You guys are the cat's meow of the cycling world.
Sweet!
Old 07-29-14, 07:57 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Awww it's a shame it didnt work out for you.
Were they willing to sell it to you without pedals? You can always buy nicer* pedals elsewhere....

Sweet!
Yeah. I could have gotten it without pedals but I would have been way over my budget. Honestly, that bike at $650 with or without pedals would be a great deal for the right person. But it was out of reach for my current budget and I wasn't impressed with their sketchy sales tactics. I was getting two different stories and neither of them were in line with what I was told previously so I decided to walk.

It is a neat bike, but in hindsight, after looking at it and testing it, I'm not sure I would have loved it as a commuter to the tavern.

Last edited by heymatthew; 07-29-14 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-29-14, 09:35 PM
sbs z31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size do you ride because I have a black 47cm kilo tt with a old school Time threaded fork and the original fork you can just have. The top tube has a couple of dings but it's just cosmetics and still ride straight.
Old 07-29-14, 09:53 PM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbs z31
What size do you ride because I have a black 47cm kilo tt with a old school Time threaded fork and the original fork you can just have. The top tube has a couple of dings but it's just cosmetics and still ride straight.
I really appreciate the offer but I ride a 56-58cm...

going to to look at this Masi on Thursday at lunch. It's a craigslist find but should be ok to get me started. The wheels are from a Bianchi Pista Sei Giorni and the pedals, chain and a few other pieces have been upgraded as well. I love the wheels and as long as it's sound, it gives me a little room to add to it. Especially since it's about $200 under budget... It's no Kilo TT I guess, but I'll give it a shot.

Old 07-30-14, 09:28 AM
Surveyman

Bikes: 2011 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW I have a 2011 Masi that I love. I commute ~12 miles daily on it.
Old 07-30-14, 11:03 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surveyman
FWIW I have a 2011 Masi that I love. I commute ~12 miles daily on it.
That's good to hear... I read some stuff on the internets about Masi being produced by Haro and that they're crap, etc. I honestly don't see how they could be any better or worse than any other sub-$500 steel-frame out there. And this one seems to have a few extras thrown in which make it easier for me to justify the cost of it (which is within $50 of a brand new State Bicycle or Fuji Track Classic or TT Pro).

Which Masi do you ride?
Old 07-30-14, 11:25 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
If you are happy with that Masi, more power to you & hope you enjoy the hell out of it, but...

FWIW you made a huge mistake by talking to store help other than the guy who had actually offered you the great(?) deal on the T1. They have no way of knowing what you had going on with him besides your say-so, and may not have the authority to wheel and deal as much as he did.

If, after having seen the pretty positive comments here regarding that bike, you really wanted it and still would like to have it at the right price, you have an obligation to yourself to call your original contact person at the shop, ask him whats up, find out if he actually does "want these T1's gone and we can get you in one for sure!", with a concrete price. If he cannot, then you walk away and move on to something else.

Good luck...
Old 07-30-14, 11:29 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
If you are happy with that Masi, more power to you & hope you enjoy the hell out of it, but...

FWIW you made a huge mistake by talking to store help other than the guy who had actually offered you the great(?) deal on the T1. They have no way of knowing what you had going on with him besides your say-so, and may not have the same authority to wheel and deal as much as he does.

If, after having seen the pretty positive comments here regarding that bike, you really wanted it and still would like to have it at the right price, you have an obligation to yourself to call your original contact person at the shop, ask him whats up, and find out if he actually does "want these T1's gone and we can get you in one for sure!" If he cannot, then you move on to something else.

Good luck...
You're definitely right. However, after actually checking out the bike, I'm not terribly upset that it didn't work out. It was pretty aggressive in terms of geometry and fit, which might have been overkill for riding to the tavern or restaurants or whatever. It was kind of one of those things that I could take it or leave it, which tells me it's definitely not worth exceeding my budget to get.

Also, I went under the understanding that the guy would be there. I told him when I would be there and he was gone. I'm guessing that place just has shty service and I was kind of ticked right off the bat as the dude didn't stick around and wait for me to get there.

The information here on the T1 was enough to get me to at least go look at it, and I'm glad I did.
Old 07-30-14, 08:38 PM
Surveyman

Bikes: 2011 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2011 Speciale Fixed Flat. I bought it used in May but it looked like it had never been ridden. Tires looked like they'd never touched pavement. Brake pads were unused and the rims didn't have a mark on them. I've probably put 600+ miles on it and still very happy. It's my first SS and we'll worth the $450 I paid for it.
Old 07-31-14, 07:39 AM
heymatthew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surveyman
I have a 2011 Speciale Fixed Flat. I bought it used in May but it looked like it had never been ridden. Tires looked like they'd never touched pavement. Brake pads were unused and the rims didn't have a mark on them. I've probably put 600+ miles on it and still very happy. It's my first SS and we'll worth the $450 I paid for it.
Thanks for the feedback on the Masi. I'm reading an awful lot of hate for the Masi. I guess because they can be pricey. I probably wouldn't buy a brand new one, but one set up the way I want it for well under $500 is a good deal. Most people will tell me to get a Kilo. I'm not sure how it's any better than the Masi for the same money, especially considering I'd dump $200+ into the Kilo right off the shelf (wheels, saddle, bars, pedals). There just isn't a whole lot of info on the Masi bikes around here so I'm glad to have a few people tell me they're pleased with what they've gotten so far.