Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Special promotions from the Administrators' partners

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Old 11-14-19, 02:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts

Given the last response from the Administrator in the recently closed thread on BF initiated spam https://www.bikeforums.net/21208891-post28.html -

What is the purpose of offering in User Control Panel/Messaging & Notification the option of disallowing email receipt of Administrator newsletters and special promotions from the Administrators' partners?

Has the decision been made to raise money by sending email "advertisements", i.e. spam, regardless of what is checked in the appropriate option box, even for the BF members who have paid to receive no ads?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-14-19, 03:13 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Given the last response from the Administrator in the recently closed thread on BF initiated spam https://www.bikeforums.net/21208891-post28.html -

What is the purpose of offering in User Control Panel/Messaging & Notification the option of disallowing email receipt of Administrator newsletters and special promotions from the Administrators' partners?

Has the decision been made to raise money by sending email "advertisements", i.e. spam, regardless of what is checked in the appropriate option box, even for the BF members who have paid to receive no ads?
Hi,

The paid ads-free memberships are for the forums. That deal never extended to emails.

Regretfully the opt-out selector in the user profile has never functioned, to my knowledge.

But you can opt out of email ads very easily by using the unsubscribe link in the email itself. This is very standard for email advertising.

Best,

Admin
Old 11-14-19, 05:26 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi,

The paid ads-free memberships are for the forums. That deal never extended to emails.

Regretfully the opt-out selector in the user profile has never functioned, to my knowledge.

But you can opt out of email ads very easily by using the unsubscribe link in the email itself. This is very standard for email advertising.

Best,

Admin
Why not make the opt-out selector in the user profile functional?

Isn't it standard to either fix or remove broken code?
Old 11-14-19, 05:31 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why not make the opt-out selector in the user profile functional?

Isn't it standard to either fix or remove broken code?
We'll do our best but to my knowledge this is not fixable.
Old 11-17-19, 07:48 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
At the very least the ads could be vetted before they are sent. Works for me. OTOH, I don't think I ever saw it or if I have simply unsubscribed from them some rime ago.

Dr. Gundry should be investigated by the Psychic Friends Network. Then again, didn't they already see it coming?

Nobody knows what any of those ads is about. Someday college kids led by an evil professor with a goatee will find the Dr. mummified in a pyramid, and of course they will all die horribly one by one (and in black and white).
Old 12-14-19, 07:28 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast

Dr. Gundry should be investigated by the Psychic Friends Network. Then again, didn't they already see it coming?

Ha, but damn you, lol. You made me snort a piece of a Triscuit halfways up my nose. 😲🙄😁😉
Old 12-15-19, 06:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

I'm sorry, I said something some new bloke named Forum Alert didn't like and said I should do that in P&R. I don't visit that neighborhood, so I'll just say make sure your insurance covers that and be careful.

gee whiz

Last edited by Rollfast; 12-15-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-24-19, 05:15 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

By the way, if the emails come from the same server as the email notifications (do they?) then if you blocked that address you'd find all of them going to junk mail?

I don't know, I didn't pay attention to that.
Old 12-30-19, 12:47 PM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
By the way, if the emails come from the same server as the email notifications (do they?) then if you blocked that address you'd find all of them going to junk mail?

I don't know, I didn't pay attention to that.
If you unsubscribe instead of marking them as spam, you should be in the clear.
Old 01-01-20, 09:11 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I still get some weekly emails going into junk mail if I have a lot of subscribed threads with replies and it's Microsoft so I just whitelist and it will do it anyway next time id I don't cull them.

It's free webmail, what do you expect?