Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Remove This From Your Refrigerator Immediately (use UNSUB link on the email)

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Remove This From Your Refrigerator Immediately (use UNSUB link on the email)

Old 12-11-19, 01:59 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
If you do not want marketing emails, please UNSUBSCRIBE from the email itself

This is the only way to stop getting them, and it won't interfere with your other BKF alerts.

-Admin
Old 01-16-20, 01:55 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2356 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by IBobi
If you do not want marketing emails, please UNSUBSCRIBE from the email itself
This is the only way to stop getting them, and it won't interfere with your other BKF alerts.
This is bad practice, and worse advice. Most anti-spam and cybersecurity advisors will tell you that if you receive an Email that's completely unsolicited spam, you should do NOTHING with the content. Don't reply, don't follow any links, etc. Any such activity, picked up by the spammer, only lets the spammer know that your Email address is legit, and therefore a useful target for more spam. Yes, it may "work" in this case, but it should NEVER be advised. Unsuspecting people may think that this is advisable to do with any spam, and it most certainly is not.

(BTW, putting the most meaningful part of your message in the post title requires the responder/quoter to manually copy and paste it into the quote. How many inexperienced users do you reckon would even know how to do that?)

Originally Posted by Baboo
I’m a paid member and got the spam email.
So did I. So what's the answer to this? Do paid members have no reprieve either?
Old 01-16-20, 01:58 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
This is bad practice, and worse advice. Most anti-spam and cybersecurity advisors will tell you that if you receive an Email that's completely unsolicited spam, you should do NOTHING with the content. Don't reply, don't follow any links, etc. Any such activity, picked up by the spammer, only lets the spammer know that your Email address is legit, and therefore a useful target for more spam. Yes, it may "work" in this case, but it should NEVER be advised. Unsuspecting people may think that this is advisable to do with any spam, and it most certainly is not.

(BTW, putting the most meaningful part of your message in the post title requires the responder/quoter to manually copy and paste it into the quote. How many inexperienced users do you reckon would even know how to do that?)

So did I. So what's the answer to this? Do paid members have no reprieve either?
This email is from us. Not a spammer. You may unsubscribe from it, or you may keep getting them periodically. Those are the choices.
Old 02-23-20, 11:43 AM
ak08820

Bikes: MGX MTB, Fuji Supreme, Miyata 90 and a Trek 700 in the works

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IBobi
This email is from us. Not a spammer. You may unsubscribe from it, or you may keep getting them periodically. Those are the choices.
Received another dose of the shady dr.'s medicine via email.
If it is from you, you owe it to your foum subscribers to provide quality info.
Just being paid for sending out drivel is not a good reason.
Likes For ak08820:
Old 02-23-20, 12:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The "unsubscribe" links in these spam emails go nowhere. They don't work. Advising people that this is all that needs to be done is completely cynical and disingenuous.
Old 02-23-20, 01:21 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Or, you could simply say something less dramatic like "The Unsubscribe link doesn't work for me.". But, that wouldn't fit whatever axe to grind, conspiracy filled ideas that you seem to have about the Admins and Mod staff.
Old 02-23-20, 09:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Nobody gets that new virus from it at least. I don't think it was created in a lab. And nobody has pinned it on anyone in Foo yet. I hear they are getting close though.
Old 02-24-20, 09:56 AM
IBJoel
Administrator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 146 Posts
Closing, as there is a different thread for this.