Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lemond's new bikes!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lemond's new bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 05:35 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Why is light weight important in an e-bike? Just dial up the boost.
Because people who don't understand them are clinging to outdated standards. Need a different mindset with ebikes.

Have to admit it would be nice to have a lightweight ebike. Carrying a 50# bike up a flight of stairs every night would suck. Even lifting it up onto a repair stand or car rackis a chore. But shedding weight at the expense of what makes an ebike fun, power and range, is a poor trade.
Old 12-04-20, 05:38 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
There's a good reason Bianchi and other high end companies use a rear hub drive for their lightweight "e's"; they transfer power well and can be as seemingly integrated as mid's. Undoubtedly this has a torque sensor (maybe rpm and speed sensors too) since DIY hub systems are available with torque sensors. IMO they missed the boat by not having assist to 28 mph.
I don't think there is enough torque to do that. it takes a lot of power to keep a bike at 28. even on my bosch on turbo I am putting out about 200 watts to get to 28
Old 12-04-20, 05:39 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Because people who don't understand them are clinging to outdated standards. Need a different mindset with ebikes.

Have to admit it would be nice to have a lightweight ebike. Carrying a 50# bike up a flight of stairs every night would suck. Even lifting it up onto a repair stand or car rackis a chore. But shedding weight at the expense of what makes an ebike fun, power and range, is a poor trade.
it is a pain for sure. my e tandem is a real pain to get on the stand. plus a lighter bike feels more nimble. but batteries have a long ways to go to get there.
Old 12-04-20, 05:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
depends on if you ride it like a regular bike or like a e bike.
It's also a chicken-and-egg thing, too, because low weight enables you to ride it like a regular bike. That's a big part of why I find the Lemonds fascinating; at 26lbs, the Prolog stimulates me to consider what riding an ebike that feels, looks, and rides like a regular bike would be like. Would I pedal further and harder, knowing I've got the e-assist to bail me out if I empty the proverbial tank and bonk? Would I use e-assist at all on workouts and training rides? Would it entice me to do more errands and utility trips by bike because e-assist extends my range and speed? I've never lived with an e-bike, so those might be familiar questions to those who have, but really, these Lemonds are the first e-bikes to impress me as having the kind of sporting potential to make those questions more than trivial. Plus, they're freakin' hot.
Old 12-04-20, 05:46 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by chaadster
It's also a chicken-and-egg thing, too, because low weight enables you to ride it like a regular bike. That's a big part of why I find the Lemonds fascinating; at 26lbs, the Prolog stimulates me to consider what riding an ebike that feels, looks, and rides like a regular bike would be like. Would I pedal further and harder, knowing I've got the e-assist to bail me out if I empty the proverbial tank and bonk? Would I use e-assist at all on workouts and training rides? Would it entice me to do more errands and utility trips by bike because e-assist extends my range and speed? I've never lived with an e-bike, so those might be familiar questions to those who have, but really, these Lemonds are the first e-bikes to impress me as having the kind of sporting potential to make those questions more than trivial. Plus, they're freakin' hot.
You might want to actually own and ride an ebike for some time first. I can almost guarantee you will have a different perspective after riding one for a period of time and learning what is good about them.
Old 12-04-20, 05:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

You might want to actually own and ride an ebike for some time first. I can almost guarantee you will have a different perspective after riding one for a period of time and learning what is good about them.
First before what?
Old 12-04-20, 05:49 PM
fooferdoggie 

yep. when I was feeling my best and now that I have a watt meter on my bike I tried going low assist to get more of a workout. bosch has too big of a jump between tour (next to lowest and eco). I could put out 189 watts on average going from eco to off to keep the watts up but I lost over 2mph average. my bike as I ride it usually with locks and bag weights 70 pounds and last years motor adds some drag too so it is work riding without power at any decent speed. I would have to keep it around 24mph to get that same level of wattage on tour and its hard getting that speed most of the time in the city or on most paths. but from what I see most people are not riding their e bikes more like a normal bike. slow peddling or no peddling seems the norm. but i don't see too man of the medium to higher range e bikes. mine was 3700 because it has the external battery where it would be around 4300 with the downtube battery.
Old 12-04-20, 05:52 PM
Pop N Wood

First before what?
Before dropping $4500 on a Lemond bike that you might end up regretting.
Old 12-04-20, 05:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Before dropping $4500 on a Lemond bike that you might end up regretting.
Oh, haha, don't worry about me doing that, because I don't have even $4k to drop! I just quit my job and bought a new Breezer Doppler, so I'm tapped out until I get some revenue streaming in again.

I will say, though, that if I were considering spending something like $2.8k on an e-bike, stepping up to add another $1.8k for a Lemond would be a real easy sell, because they seem to be altogether on another level from the typical stuff, plus I'd be delighted to roll with the Lemond name on the downtube. I think Greg is a real, stand-up dude...flawed like any human, no demi-god, but truly a relatable cat.

Last edited by chaadster; 12-04-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-04-20, 06:00 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
It strikes me as odd that a famous bike racer who was able to go fast (it just gets harder) is now selling machines to help people go fast with less effort. Oh, Greg how little we knew you. The classic excuse for buying an ebike is like: I can keep up my speed just like I used to. Where does the bible say that keeping up your speed is so important? The whole ebike thing is just an excuse for people with money to pretend they can still go fast.
Old 12-04-20, 06:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
It strikes me as odd that a famous bike racer who was able to go fast (it just gets harder) is now selling machines to help people go fast with less effort. Oh, Greg how little we knew you. The classic excuse for buying an ebike is like: I can keep up my speed just like I used to. Where does the bible say that keeping up your speed is so important? The whole ebike thing is just an excuse for people with money to pretend they can still go fast.
Really? That's your takeaway? The Lemond site says Greg made ebikes stemming from a desire "to cycling accessible to all." That he's starting at the high-end of the market is a tried-and-true business strategy, and I've no doubt that the goal is to broaden and make less expensive the range of offerings. As others have testafied upthread, most e-bike riders are not experienced cyclists reliving their glory days.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-05-20, 05:24 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Tell that to a wounded war veteran who lost part of, or a whole limb. Or, a life long cyclist who was indeed "fast" but has suffered the ravages of disease, serious injury or at the very least, time. I don't have an E-bike but I whole heartedly support the idea and development. E-bikes are a way to engage more new people in cycling and keep life long riders on the road longer; to everyone's benefit. If an E-bike puts someone on a bike and they get to experience what we sometimes have endure with inattentive or outright hostile drivers, that changes their perspective when they get behind the wheel of a car.

As far as Greg selling e-bikes? He loves cycling (I know this from talking to him personally) and he knows that more people on bikes is great for cycling the community. The major reason Americans don't ride bikes is because it involves exertion and as a rule, Americans try and avoid that kind of thing. Just because it isn't for you or you can't see the long game doesn't mean it isn't good for someone else.
Old 12-05-20, 08:07 AM
Pop N Wood

Oh lord. Not another "real men don't ride ebikes" rant.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 12-07-20, 01:36 PM
RISKDR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Ademdum to my previous post re Lemond Ebikes

Most experienced riders will not be satisfied with 20 mph power cut off and 250 watts.
Old 12-07-20, 03:40 PM
OldBrokeReCycle

Bikes: 1980 Trek 510 owned since '81 BLINGED; 20?? Speicialized Secteur; 201? Trek Excalibre Bafung coverted; 20?? Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
RE: Why a 26 lb e-bike
My e-MTB conversion weighs way north of 50 lbs. I've been trying to figure out a way to carry it on my Camry that won't cost as much as the conversion itself. 26 lbs and my trunk rack still works.

Last edited by OldBrokeReCycle; 12-07-20 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Wrong quote
Likes For OldBrokeReCycle:
Old 12-07-20, 04:28 PM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by OldBrokeReCycle
RE: Why a 26 lb e-bike
My e-MTB conversion weighs way north of 50 lbs. I've been trying to figure out a way to carry it on my Camry that won't cost as much as the conversion itself. 26 lbs and my trunk rack still works.
50 pounds and a receiver hitch works as well.

Drove 3000 miles this summer with a 50# ebike and a SWB recumbent on the back of my Mazda3.

The ebike was even a cannondale aluminum frame bike that I hung by the top bar, mid drive motor and all. Only problem I had is the wind broke one of my plastic SKS fenders.

You can get a receiver hitch and bike rack from Amazon for $250 just like I did.
Old 12-07-20, 04:41 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
So now I'm confused.
Are the Lemonds too light and therefore not real ebikes?
Are they too expensive?
Are they too slow for real cyclists?
Do real cyclists even ride ebikes?

I reckon Greg is competing with this: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...ext=98121-0101
which, by the way, is listed at $14K.
Likes For mercator:
Old 12-07-20, 05:08 PM
plittle2005

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Pure Sex!

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Last year I was all curious to see what his new company was finally going to release. Then those pics were released that had a couple of bike shapes in black against black backgrounds and I lost a lot of curiosity. Then I saw they would release a flatbar ebike and lost all interest.

Its a neat bit of tech, but I just dont get it.

Cool stuff-
- the integrated headlight and tail lights are really neat. if this can become a trend on bikes, super cool. nobody buys a car or motorcycle and then adds lights to it.
- room for 38mm tires is really good design for this style bike.
- the component selection seems good. grx 1x is simple, reliable, and quality. GK slick tires are quality. good brakes too.
- its relatively light for an ebike.

Questionable stuff-
- what if the lights break? Most everyone that uses lights knows how incredibly frustrating they can be due to not lasting. Does this mean trips to the shop and paying $?...thats lame when a new 500 lumen light can just be strapped to a bar for $60 or quality tail lights can be bought for $30
- $4500 for this bike seems like a lot to ask based on me not totally understanding who wants the bike. Roadies wont want it due to design. Gravel riders wont want it due to design. Weekend warriors wont want this due to design. MTB riders wont want it due to design. People just getting into cycling wont want it due to cost. So is the target audience commuters?...the bikes I see being ridden to and from work are about 4 price levels below this. Is the target audience weekend casual riders wanting to ride to get coffee with a friend or something like that?
I think the market may be AARPers who have cycled for a long time since they will know the name, have $ to buy something like this, and benefit from the motor.
Im curious to hear what the market(s) is.
- Does it really only come in 1 size?!? There is no mention of size or geometry.

Carbon wheelset, integrated lights, quality drivetrain and braking, lightweight even though its an ebike- all really neat. No idea who buys it with flat bars.
After looking at the site, my interest is back since I am curious what the road bike will look like when its released. That has to have a more obvious market, I would hope.

Aaaaah, so smooth! So effortless! If I was a full Campy Colnago....I'd want to go to bed with this baby!
But...It wouldn't last....we'd soon break up due to philosophical differences!
Be a hell of a ride while it lasted, tho!
Old 12-07-20, 06:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10957 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by mercator
So now I'm confused.
Are the Lemonds too light and therefore not real ebikes?
Are they too expensive?
Are they too slow for real cyclists?
Do real cyclists even ride ebikes?

I reckon Greg is competing with this: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...ext=98121-0101
which, by the way, is listed at $14K.
Gargantuan gravel geometry dropper post ebike- yup, hell is frozen.
Old 12-07-20, 07:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by RISKDR1
Most experienced riders will not be satisfied with 20 mph power cut off and 250 watts.
So how do these work? If I’m grinding uphill at, say, 70rpm and 250w, would a 250w Lemond motor, if switched on, add it’s 250w to my 70rpm and put 500w to the road? Guy, that’s awesome...
Old 12-08-20, 12:40 AM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Isn't the current Lemond pretty sedate man who doesn't look at all like a an ex bicycle racer? Not everybody ages and keeps the figure that testifies to sporting life. But the bike looks sharp, most will not even know it is an ebike from its looks. I think yuppies is the market for this toy. If you need to save for this, its not for you. Also, I'd be worried about the company longevity, standing behind the product some years down the road.

Last edited by vane171; 12-08-20 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-08-20, 07:10 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by vane171
Isn't the current Lemond pretty sedate man who doesn't look at all like a an ex bicycle racer? Not everybody ages and keeps the figure that testifies to sporting life. But the bike looks sharp, most will not even know it is an ebike from its looks. I think yuppies is the market for this toy. If you need to save for this, its not for you. Also, I'd be worried about the company longevity, standing behind the product some years down the road.
That’s a cheap shot. First off, looking like a racer does make someone a cyclist. Merckx didn’t keep his figure, but did not get into utility/commuting bikes, Joe Breeze still looks like and racer and is totally into that segment. It’s not about what someone looks like, but rather where their mind is.

And on what basis do question the longevity of the brand? Lemond fought for years to regain control of his name and brand from Trek after they stopped supporting his brand. He’s clearly committed, it’s obviously personal, and he’s a fighter, which we know from his other business ventures. He sold and bought back Revolution trainers when he thought that was mismanaged. He returned to his relationship with Time after his racing days and still works with them today; he owns Time USA I believe. Point being, Lemond is a stand-up guy who honors his name and relationships, so concern for longevity on those grounds is unwarranted.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-09-20, 07:54 PM
fooferdoggie 

here is a bike close though weighs more but its cool seeing competition https://nplusbikes.com/pages/mercedes-benz-eq-e-bikes
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 12-09-20, 08:07 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...rCategoryCodes

Not quite an e-bike but not a hog either.

John
Harley engineers are furiously working to figure out how to make it leak oil.
Old 12-09-20, 08:24 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Harley engineers are furiously working to figure out how to make it leak oil.
Harley's leak oil? I've never heard that comment before.
As a matter of fact I'm on my 3rd and none of them have leaked a drop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.