Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone Enjoy Their Clip-in Pedals?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone Enjoy Their Clip-in Pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 11:47 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
When I started riding racing bikes 10 years ago I was using cages. That's what I was used to and I wasn't going that fast - just cruising. My riding frequency & intensity increased tremendously after a year. I tried Shimano SPD and WHOA what a difference! Large platform and my foot felt one with the pedals. I was blown away at the first ride. I ride clipless on all my track bikes too - the only bike with cages is my '83 Trek.

Last edited by Biketiger; 12-04-20 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-05-20, 08:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Can you just stop already?
Stop what???? Does the truth bother you???
Old 12-05-20, 08:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I guess you could say enjoy, but on a tadpole trike they are a safety feature. If you foot would fall off the pedal at a higher speed on a bump, your foot could be caught under the cross bar and cause injury.
Dude, we aren't going to let you keep posting here if you don't stop with the disparaging comments about recumbents.
Old 12-08-20, 10:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Dude, we aren't going to let you keep posting here if you don't stop with the disparaging comments about recumbents.
Ok sorry I will try to do better in the future.
Old 12-14-20, 08:07 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I find that the clip in pedals sort of promote me to flex my toes downwards into the pedals at all times which helps to engage my calves better. Cycling really is a full leg workout when done correctly. Due to this extra flexion im actually able to raise my seat a bit higher.
Old 12-15-20, 08:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Then there is the convenience of staying clipped in on a trike at a stop. When the light turns green, your just start pedaling again. There is no scratching around, no wobble while trying to get clipped in again. This is one reason that when riding in town a trike is the easiest way to cycle.
Last year, my now 10 year old fully mastered starting from a foot on the ground position without wobbling. It clicked that she adjust her gears approaching the stop to make it easy to start. Earlier this year in the late winter/early spring she relearned it over a couple rides and has been fine since.

Your issue is something that a 10 year old managed to overcome.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-15-20, 08:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I have seen the term “troll” thrown around very loosely on this site and believe I am seeing it again. Please explain how this thread meets this common definition of trolling:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] either for the troll's amusement, or to achieve a specific result such as disrupting a rival's online activities or manipulating a political process.

I see no examples so far of any of the above except by your baseless accusation, and personal attack “this schtick is old”.

On the contrary this thread has no name calling, personal attacks, etc that I have seen on all too many threads.

Again, how he is a troll given the above definition. Maybe your misuse of “troll” is for lack of a better term for someone you don’t care for or disagree with. Of course you could always just ignore the OP’s posts if you find them so objectionable. Just a thought.
Perhaps turtle is misusing the term. Or perhaps language is not static and it is instead ever evolving. Perhaps the practical use of a word doesnt always fit the established definition.
When someone starts threads to ask basic general questions about incredibly well established topics, while it isnt the classic definition of 'troll', it is a waste of time and the end result in threads is similar to what trolling accomplishes(it gets attention and reactions). Similarly, declaring one is an expert on frame geometry when they own a bike that they admit doesnt fit them makes for some really trollish tendancies. Same with claiming to buy a crankset that is more than 2x the value of your bike, while not even understanding how the crankset works.

edited to add- not sure if you saw, but a thread started yesterday called 'anyone using wider tires for the road?' was removed and condensed into a thread Moist had started a week or two ago about...wide rims and tires. Of course some people use wider tires for the road- thats well established.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 12-15-20 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-15-20, 08:27 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Clipless is the proper term. If you don't know why, Moisture, use the search.

I find it funny that Moisture has the ability to dredge up decades old topics that he has just learned about or experienced for the first time, and act like an authority in useless threads (remember his vintage GT MTB that appeared to him to be the epitome of frame design?)
Old 12-15-20, 08:33 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
I'm a natural born sprinter, clipless pedals are essential. But even for spinning, they're a great improvement over the cages. I always cycle with family when I visit our house in Chincoteague, those are just simple beach bikes and I don't sprint when cycling with the family, but still there are times I can feel my foot slipping off the pedals when I speed up just a little.
Old 12-15-20, 09:23 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Has it ever even crossed you mind to search before you ask any of these questions?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-15-20, 09:29 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Can you just stop already?
Careful what you say to him. I got a post deleted and a warning from the mods for posting something even less confrontational than that.
Old 12-15-20, 10:07 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I guess you could say enjoy, but on a tadpole trike they are a safety feature. If you foot would fall off the pedal at a higher speed on a bump, your foot could be caught under the cross bar and cause injury.

Then there is the convenience of staying clipped in on a trike at a stop. When the light turns green, your just start pedaling again. There is no scratching around, no wobble while trying to get clipped in again. This is one reason that when riding in town a trike is the easiest way to cycle.
Tricycles don’t go fast enough to hurt anything, except the rider’s credibility. Stay wobbly.
Old 12-15-20, 11:10 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Last year, my now 10 year old fully mastered starting from a foot on the ground position without wobbling. It clicked that she adjust her gears approaching the stop to make it easy to start. Earlier this year in the late winter/early spring she relearned it over a couple rides and has been fine since.

Your issue is something that a 10 year old managed to overcome.
youre the biggest savage ever rofl
Old 12-15-20, 11:24 AM
ClydeClydeson

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I want to try a handcycle but can't find SPD compatible gloves anywhere.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-15-20, 02:12 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Everyone...Post on topic, or not at all.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-15-20, 05:14 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
...decades old topics that he has just learned about or experienced for the first time...
The Baader-Meinhof effect is strong with this one.

DD
Old 12-15-20, 06:26 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I thought this was a trick question. But, well, I switched a long time ago, and after a few rides getting used to them, I'd never go back.