Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

bike shipping cost italy to US of A?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-20, 01:43 AM
cloudsofviolet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi,

So I am looking at a bike on ebay, located in italy and need it shipped to where i am in US. The seller is telling me it would be 300 euro for the shipping cost. i can't get bike flights to work for me and have no experience with bike shipping but did inquire with a small company in germany about shipping one of their bikes out to me and was told it would be around 100 euro. anyways, where can I go to figure this out?
Old 12-05-20, 05:40 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudsofviolet
hi,

So I am looking at a bike on ebay, located in italy and need it shipped to where i am in US. The seller is telling me it would be 300 euro for the shipping cost. i can't get bike flights to work for me and have no experience with bike shipping but did inquire with a small company in germany about shipping one of their bikes out to me and was told it would be around 100 euro. anyways, where can I go to figure this out?
Ask DHL
Old 12-05-20, 07:08 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
You might also want to look into whether or not there would be any US import duties. I once ordered some merchandise on Campagnolo's web site, and then got a letter from US Customs that they were holding my items until I paid the fees. (Fortunately, Campy resolved the issue and I got my stuff).

I really don't know how import duties work for sales between individuals, but perhaps the shipper would know. Maybe the amount you are being quoted includes such duties.
Old 12-05-20, 08:21 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
My wife recently purchased a vintage Wilier from a seller in Treviso Italy and if I recall shipping was around $150.00. She has since received a notification from FedEx that she further owes import fees based on the sale value.
The seller offered to mark the bike as having a much lower value than what she paid for it to reduce this fee, but we declined as it could have also affected any insurance claim if the bike arrived damaged or not at all.
The bike arrived astonishingly quickly considering how far it traveled and other than one very small nick was in perfect condition.
Old 12-05-20, 09:05 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Also a note about Italy around the Holidays. Things kind of come to a halt at the Christmas season. I bought some vintage bike clothing on ebay a few years ago. Purchased first week of December and recieved it first week of February. Contacted the seller several times and he had mailed it but informed me everything shuts down around Christmas.
Old 12-05-20, 09:08 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Also a note about Italy around the Holidays. Things kind of come to a halt at the Christmas season. I bought some vintage bike clothing on ebay a few years ago. Purchased first week of December and recieved it first week of February. Contacted the seller several times and he had mailed it but informed me everything shuts down around Christmas.
I lived there for two years and yes they have this customary way of doing things where during certain times of the year it seemed like everything was closed.
Old 12-05-20, 09:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
It has been a couple of years, but I got a frameset shipped out for €120 via FedEx, but had a quote from DHL for half of that (with longer ship time). Guessing, a complete bike shouldn’t cost much more, so $300 seems high except for the fact that if not a new bike, the seller will need to disassemble, prep for packing, and get packing materials, all of which is time (and ergo money) so $300 may be a quote for more than just raw shipping cost. It was even longer ago, but my LBS wanted $100 to pack a bike I was sending to Oz.
Old 12-06-20, 07:34 PM
cloudsofviolet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did they arrange for shipping or you? I am putting in the dimensions of bike with wheels, pedals taken apart and its showing me like 1000 euro. as in 1000,50
Old 12-06-20, 07:52 PM
cloudsofviolet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how were you able to get the quote? just email or phone?
Old 12-06-20, 08:51 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudsofviolet
hi,

Check Ship Bikes....I've used them for all sorts of stuff going from East Coast to West Coast and they are very reasonable. I know they have international shipping as well.

https://www.shipbikes.com/internatio...ing/index.html

Old 12-06-20, 11:28 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
As a private individual, shipping costs will be much more than vendors who have contracts with shipping companies. For this reason they can ship for 100 instead of 300. I shipped a form of cheese and it cost 160 euro, but from an online shop, it's 50.
Old 12-07-20, 02:29 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
My wife recently purchased a vintage Wilier from a seller in Treviso Italy and if I recall shipping was around $150.00. She has since received a notification from FedEx that she further owes import fees based on the sale value.
The seller offered to mark the bike as having a much lower value than what she paid for it to reduce this fee, but we declined as it could have also affected any insurance claim if the bike arrived damaged or not at all.
The bike arrived astonishingly quickly considering how far it traveled and other than one very small nick was in perfect condition.
wow that's a keeper. The bike and wife!😁
Old 12-07-20, 08:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've had good luck with Bikeflights. They use a corporate level shipping contract with Fedex or UPS. That way, the costs to an individual are less than going alone to Fedex or UPS or DHL.
Old 12-07-20, 09:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
BikeFlights isn't great for international shipping.

Honestly, 300 euros sounds about right to me for a full bike. Five tubulars from the UK is costing me 30 euros for shipping. And I paid 80 euros last year to ship 1 wheel from Spain.
Old 12-07-20, 09:52 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
It cost me 90 Euros to have a new frame shipped from Italy in July. Box was 35 x 29 x 9 inches. Rates go up quite a lot when box exceeds a certain total dimension.
Old 12-07-20, 09:55 AM
rajbcpa

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought two bikes recently from Italy. One took about 3 months [no tarriff???] and shipping was $170 USD. Another bike was shipped 12 weeks ago and I am still waiting for the bike.

Honestly, I would NOT put myself through this again.

AVOID BIKES IN ITALY. AVOID EBAY TOO!
Old 12-07-20, 10:56 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rajbcpa
I bought two bikes recently from Italy. One took about 3 months [no tarriff???] and shipping was $170 USD. Another bike was shipped 12 weeks ago and I am still waiting for the bike.

Honestly, I would NOT put myself through this again.

AVOID BIKES IN ITALY. AVOID EBAY TOO!
Wow! mine took about ten days. Paid tariff ($50 +/-) thru UPS. Frame was valued at 1150 Euros.