Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day! Fezzari Empire SL

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Bike Day! Fezzari Empire SL

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-19, 01:09 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Nice bike! Hidden cables =

Looking forward for Giant to catch up on that!
Old 10-25-19, 07:35 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by BluFalconActual
Still way too sick to ride, but I did hook my shoe into my pedal real quick and had no toe overlap with a little over an inch to spare. This is with a Large frame, 175 cranks, Ultegra pedals and a size 46 Fizik shoe.
That's great to hear, thanks for checking!

Fezzari said the front center on a Large is 617, and 607 for a Medium. So even on a Medium with 172.5 cranks and size 45 shoes, I'll prob be ok. They recommend a Large for me, but looking at the stack/reach from my last bike fit, looks like a Medium would work too, I've been riding 56's with no problems.
Old 11-07-19, 01:16 PM
Rolltider11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone have any further info on the Empire sl? I’m very close to pulling the trigger on an empire sl team. I can’t tell if it’s more of an endurance bike it is it ok for racing. Also looking at canyon ultimate and giant tar mainly. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
That's great to hear, thanks for checking!

Fezzari said the front center on a Large is 617, and 607 for a Medium. So even on a Medium with 172.5 cranks and size 45 shoes, I'll prob be ok. They recommend a Large for me, but looking at the stack/reach from my last bike fit, looks like a Medium would work too, I've been riding 56's with no problems.
Old 11-07-19, 03:50 PM
jkonst

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolltider11
does anyone have any further info on the Empire sl? I’m very close to pulling the trigger on an empire sl team. I can’t tell if it’s more of an endurance bike it is it ok for racing. Also looking at canyon ultimate and giant tar mainly. Thoughts?
There's a new review up at Bike Rumor (I can't link to it <10 posts, but you can search for it there). I'm also looking at the SL Team, and have considered the Giant TCR and Ultimate/Endurace, but like the hidden cables on the Empire.
Old 11-07-19, 04:55 PM
Rolltider11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkonst
There's a new review up at Bike Rumor (I can't link to it <10 posts, but you can search for it there). I'm also looking at the SL Team, and have considered the Giant TCR and Ultimate/Endurace, but like the hidden cables on the Empire.
The empire is specced pretty unbelievable for that price which does concern me. I’ve compared geometry with all of those and the only thing that stands out to me is the slacker 71.8 degree head tube, not sure about that. But they basically let you pick any Enve wheel you want, different bars, add power meter etc. And the completely hidden wires is just a thing of beauty.
Old 11-07-19, 05:24 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Those using the new AXS 12 drivetrain report drivetrain noise and front chain drops as the two most common problems. If you don't have a chain catcher on the front, it might be a wise addition.

With regard to the AXS chain, it's not noisy, by itself. I put one on each of my bikes that have the new Campy Chorus 12, just as an experiment and found the chains to be very quiet. The chains come with nothing but a light oil on them, not the heavy grease that most chains have. I still stripped it and put my own home-brew wax lube on both chains. I've logged about 400 miles on each of the AXS chains and had no issues at all. Right now, I;m back to Campy 12 chains. The AXS chains have larger rollers - .311 inch diameter instead of .305 inch. The design of the AXS chain follow a #41 drive chain, while all others follow the #40 standard.
Old 11-07-19, 07:09 PM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Ive had it for a few weeks now and really love it. I was worried at first about ordering from a small company but they are awesome to work with and the bike has been great so far.
Regarding AXS: Yes, I quickly learned that it will throw the chain if you set it up like SRAM instructs in their manuals. I swapped larger chainrings when I got it and found out the hard way that you have to adjust the high limit on the front so that there is absolutely no gap or else it will yeet the chain. The Fezzari mechanic who set up the bike must have known this because I remember thinking he made a mistake at first when I got the bike and noticed the chain was rubbing slightly while in the highest gear. The drivetrain is also louder than Shimano stuff that I’m used to. It’s not bad or annoying per se, but it is noticeably louder.

The bike has been flawless. It’s stiff, fast and stable. It is not a hyper slammed race bike nor is it a lounge chair. I’m in my mid 30’s and I consider myself really in shape (I’m consistently in the top 5 percent of Active Duty Marines) and I feel the bike is a really good balance between fast and comfortable.
Old 11-07-19, 07:16 PM
Rolltider11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive had it for a few weeks now and really love it. I was worried at first about ordering from a small company but they are awesome to work with and the bike has been great so far.
Regarding AXS: Yes, I quickly learned that it will throw the chain if you set it up like SRAM instructs in their manuals. I swapped larger chainrings when I got it and found out the hard way that you have to adjust the high limit on the front so that there is absolutely no gap or else it will yeet the chain. The Fezzari mechanic who set up the bike must have known this because I remember thinking he made a mistake at first when I got the bike and noticed the chain was rubbing slightly while in the highest gear. The drivetrain is also louder than Shimano stuff that I’m used to. It’s not bad or annoying per se, but it is noticeably louder.

The bike has been flawless. It’s stiff, fast and stable. It is not a hyper slammed race bike nor is it a lounge chair. I’m in my mid 30’s and I consider myself really in shape (I’m consistently in the top 5 percent of Active Duty Marines) and I feel the bike is a really good balance between fast and comfortable.
So it’s dropping off the outside of big ring or inside of small ring? I think I’m going to get it with the middle range chainrings which did you get? Man I’m glad to hear You like it because I really want this bike just makes me leery . Well I’m 49, but I hammer pretty hard so probably prefer something racy over endurance but a mix of both is fine. I’m also a pretty dedicated weight lifter so wanting something stiff. What wheels did you get?
Old 11-07-19, 07:21 PM
Rolltider11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, is the head angle of 71.8 degrees ok and not too slack?
Old 11-07-19, 08:00 PM
BluFalconActual

It will throw it on the outside of the rings if not set up correctly. I never had issue with it when Fezzari set it up. As soon as I swapped rings myself and readjusted everything is when I learned that it can be finicky.
I have the mid 48/35 up front right now with the stock 10/33 on the rear. I ordered it with the normal 46/33 because I wanted to have those smaller rings as a spare set for when I visit my family in North Idaho and have climbs that are consistent double digit grades for miles.
I have the DT ER1600’s that it came with. It’s a really nice wheelset. I am really wanting to get some Enve AR 4.5’s when I get back from 6 months of training but for now these wheels have worked great.
Old 11-07-19, 08:22 PM
BluFalconActual

Also, is the head angle of 71.8 degrees ok and not too slack?
It seems fine to me. I mean, that’s just my opinion on it though. They do seem to have a really good return policy so if you dont like it, you can always send it back within 30 days
Old 11-07-19, 09:34 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts

Sounds like a great bike! One thing confused me though. It seems like the SL only comes with SRAM builds. If so, why did Fezzari think BB86 was a good idea? This means fitting a 29mm spindle into a 41mm shell with a sleeve. 30mm spindles typically use 46mm shells with a sleeve so we’re losing about 4mm of space and probably having to use specialty bearings.

I’ll be curious to hear from you in the future if you have premature bearing wear or creaking.
Old 11-08-19, 07:49 AM
BluFalconActual

Originally Posted by smashndash
Sounds like a great bike! One thing confused me though. It seems like the SL only comes with SRAM builds. If so, why did Fezzari think BB86 was a good idea? This means fitting a 29mm spindle into a 41mm shell with a sleeve. 30mm spindles typically use 46mm shells with a sleeve so we’re losing about 4mm of space and probably having to use specialty bearings.

I’ll be curious to hear from you in the future if you have premature bearing wear or creaking.
Ill keep an eye on it for sure. Coming from a Trek with BB90, anything is going to be an upgrade. If you believe the SRAM marketing dudes, they fixed the bearing wear problems by using their “DUB” BB’s. I’m a little skeptical of everything SRAM markets, but so far the AXS system has worked like a dream after I got it set up correctly.
Ill keep this thread updated if things go south but as of now I can only wax poetic about how much I like this bike.
Old 11-08-19, 07:59 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
The empire is specced pretty unbelievable for that price which does concern me. I’ve compared geometry with all of those and the only thing that stands out to me is the slacker 71.8 degree head tube, not sure about that. But they basically let you pick any Enve wheel you want, different bars, add power meter etc. And the completely hidden wires is just a thing of beauty.
The slacker headtube angle means it will be more stable and less twitchy. My Revolt has similar geo, and on road tires, it's fantastic. I haven't had any handling issues in fast groups. As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't race crits, so maybe it makes a difference there, but I haven't had any handling issues in fast tight group rides.

Originally Posted by smashndash

That's all they have listed on the site, but they'll build anything you want. There's a guy out there that had them build up the SL with a 105 groupset. I talked to them about doing an Elite build (blue gloss paint) with Ultegra di2 and integrated cockpit, they said no problem. So basically you can mix and match pretty much anything you want.
Old 11-08-19, 02:38 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer

That's all they have listed on the site, but they'll build anything you want. There's a guy out there that had them build up the SL with a 105 groupset. I talked to them about doing an Elite build (blue gloss paint) with Ultegra di2 and integrated cockpit, they said no problem. So basically you can mix and match pretty much anything you want.
Fantastic. Hopefully more companies start to follow what these guys are doing
Likes For smashndash:
Old 11-08-19, 03:42 PM
BluFalconActual

Good ride this morning. Started out doing some nice and easy climbs but decided to hammer it on a 2 mile straight segment and picked up a couple of KOM’s in the process. I’m excited to get a power meter on this thing and some deeper wheels.

Likes For BluFalconActual:
Old 11-26-19, 07:15 AM
jkonst

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
BluFalconActual - any updated impressions? I was thinking of pulling the trigger on Black Friday (still can't post links, but add /empire-BF to their URL). But curious to hear any other real world thoughts first! I confirmed with Fezzari that they're able to supply the ENVE 4.5 AR wheelset at no additional price over the 3.4 AR on the TEam Edition, in case that's of interest to anyone. It sounds like it extends the delivery timeline a couple weeks, though.

Last edited by jkonst; 11-26-19 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Removed comment on BF pricing, since Fezzari fixed it on their site
Old 11-26-19, 07:50 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Good ride this morning. Started out doing some nice and easy climbs but decided to hammer it on a 2 mile straight segment and picked up a couple of KOM’s in the process. I’m excited to get a power meter on this thing and some deeper wheels.
Nice bike, nice screenname as well LOL.
Old 01-05-20, 03:01 PM
jaymelu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm currently in the research process of buying my second bike. I'm coming from a 2017 Giant Contend SL and I want to upgrade to a better bike. There is still not much out there about these bikes, not even a YouTube review video. I am totally in love with the looks of this bike and the price seems to be lower than competitors. So with all that said, can you please provide an update of how the is bike holding up? have any issues sprung up after a few months of use?

Thank you,
Old 01-05-20, 03:08 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
This video is from Fezzari, but it gives good information on the bike.

Old 11-22-20, 08:52 AM
parkite1996

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fezzari Fore

Originally Posted by Sojodave
I have a Fezzari Cr3 with Di2 and I stopped by their store in Lindon and saw the new Empires last week. The Empires are good looking bikes and they are one of the few bikes that have a one-piece carbon frame.
Hello. I am looking at purchasing a Fezzari Fore CR2. Do you know what the max tire clearance is? Will it take a 28mm tire? How do you like the bike?
Old 11-22-20, 06:30 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I have the Cr3 and it will only take 25mm tires
Old 11-27-20, 08:27 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by jaymelu
I'm currently in the research process of buying my second bike. I'm coming from a 2017 Giant Contend SL and I want to upgrade to a better bike. There is still not much out there about these bikes, not even a YouTube review video. I am totally in love with the looks of this bike and the price seems to be lower than competitors. So with all that said, can you please provide an update of how the is bike holding up? have any issues sprung up after a few months of use?

Thank you,
These are solid high-value bikes from a company that provides great customer service! Like I said previously, there are a lot of Fezzari bikes being ridden in my area and I have yet to hear any complaints. A co-worker bought the same bike mentioned in this thread earlier this year and he loves it.

No, I have no affiliation with Fezzari. I'm a Cannondale guy myself... Also, I have no idea what their availability is right now. Most bike companies are waaaaay behind because of Covid. If you are seriously looking I would contact Fezzari to see what they have.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 11-27-20 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-27-20, 09:01 AM
parkite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I have the Cr3 and it will only take 25mm tires
Thank you