Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 06:14 AM
Fredandsveta

Bikes: Tandem bicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here the photos of our loaded tandem, in 3 steps.
We travel from August 2015,

In 2015 and 2016 with a Bob Yak trailer.
183 lbs all included (tandem, trailer, material, the clothes we wear)

IMG_83041.JPG

In 2017 with an Extrawhell trailer
160 lbs

IMG_39581.jpg

For our coming trip in USA and South America, no more trailer
about 150lbs

IMG_46321.jpg
Old 12-07-17, 01:29 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Looks great. Seems like you are ready now!!
Old 12-08-17, 01:18 AM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
What handlebar tape is that? Is it sort of a muted yellow in real life (or is that just the picture?)?
I know that lighthouse....which one is it?
Old 12-09-17, 10:21 AM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
Looks great. Seems like you are ready now!!
Yes, we patiently wait for our flight!!
Old 12-09-17, 05:35 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Fred or Sveta, regarding that last photo, I really think one of you needs to have a talk with the lazy one riding in front of the bike who appears not to want to contribute to pedalling power.
I feel this is not a very egalitarian sharing of work for your trip!

(il y n a pas de chaine, c'est un farce plat de mon part!)

translation:

(there is no chain on the front part of the bike....not a very good joke on my part...)
Old 12-10-17, 09:43 PM
BigFinner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? I've only heard great stories from Vietnam. Oh well I guess I'll find out soon.
Hope so for your case. I am really interested in hearing back on your experience there. From what we faced it would rank on the bottom of countries to visit again.
Old 12-11-17, 01:36 AM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Fred or Sveta, regarding that last photo, I really think one of you needs to have a talk with the lazy one riding in front of the bike who appears not to want to contribute to pedalling power.
I feel this is not a very egalitarian sharing of work for your trip!...

Fred answering: keep it for you!!! the technical part of the tandem is on my duty and Sveta believe that it's normal like this!! 2 years now I just have to manage the handlebar, and the brakes when she is not tired enough.
Old 12-11-17, 02:38 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by BigFinner
Ughhh Vietnam. We have cycled a lot of SE asia and loved every minute of it with the exception of Vietnam. We couldn't wait to get out of that country and found many other travelers there with the same feeling. All this said I have heard the Vietnamese people have greatly warmed up to travelers the last few years. I would be very interested in hearing your experience after the trip is over.
what are the reasons you did not like Vietnam?
Old 12-11-17, 05:42 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Fredandsveta
Fred answering: keep it for you!!! the technical part of the tandem is on my duty and Sveta believe that it's normal like this!! 2 years now I just have to manage the handlebar, and the brakes when she is not tired enough.
funny
(d'accord, I won't say a word )

"keep it for you" should be "keep it to yourself"

15cms of snow coming tomorrow, so no riding to work as usual until wednesday or thursday...
Old 12-12-17, 09:56 AM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
"keep it for you" should be "keep it to yourself"
15cms of snow coming tomorrow, so no riding to work as usual until wednesday or thursday...
Thanks to correct my happy English!! I need it
And good luck with the snow !

Old 12-12-17, 04:59 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Fredandsveta
Thanks to correct my happy English!! I need it
And good luck with the snow !

it was challenging to keep up on two wheels, but it was fun and a good workout!
Attached Images
Old 12-12-17, 05:11 PM
Fredandsveta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
it was challenging to keep up on two wheels, but it was fun and a good workout!
I can easily believe it !!
Old 12-17-17, 09:54 PM
BigFinner

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by str
what are the reasons you did not like Vietnam?
As travelers we were treated very poorly throughout the Vietnam. Didn't seem like they care much of having a tourist industry. When cycle touring we always say we eat our way through a country as we expend so many calories and eat so much. However the food was most often so bad that we choose to go hungry a lot of the time or just try and make our own meals (Even when trying not to get it more often then not meals would come with a lot of animal innards and oil). We felt like many residents had a lot of disdain towards whites or possibly what they perceived as "Americans" fyi we are Canadians but that didn't seem to matter. Very few people seemed willing to help when asked a question and would just shoo us away. Every other SE Asia country we visited was quite the opposite to this.

We have toured through a lot of SE Asia and absolutely loved the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia. Vietnam however was a very different story. All they travelers we met there conveyed similar experiences as we had.
Old 12-18-17, 02:50 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by BigFinner
As travelers we were treated very poorly throughout the Vietnam. Didn't seem like they care much of having a tourist industry. When cycle touring we always say we eat our way through a country as we expend so many calories and eat so much. However the food was most often so bad that we choose to go hungry a lot of the time or just try and make our own meals (Even when trying not to get it more often then not meals would come with a lot of animal innards and oil). We felt like many residents had a lot of disdain towards whites or possibly what they perceived as "Americans" fyi we are Canadians but that didn't seem to matter. Very few people seemed willing to help when asked a question and would just shoo us away. Every other SE Asia country we visited was quite the opposite to this.

We have toured through a lot of SE Asia and absolutely loved the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia. Vietnam however was a very different story. All they travelers we met there conveyed similar experiences as we had.
thanks..

I know several people who have been in Vietnam and they loved it. good food friendly people.

how can they see in your face that your Canadians? ) and if they are distant to "Americans" I can fully understand that.
Old 12-25-17, 12:06 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
My rig

Lots of time and lots of quality manufactures. Happy holidays to everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dsc01758--2-3.jpg (966.4 KB, 1201 views)
Old 12-25-17, 12:20 PM
BBassett

Set for rain and what-do-you-know... Mr. Sun

Backpack covers over the front panniers mostly to keep them clean. With the old side-stand and Salsa Bags in the front of the trailer.
Attached Images
without-rear-panniers2.jpg (1,018.1 KB, 1200 views)
Old 12-25-17, 12:45 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Let's keep the Touring forum a political free zone, okay?

Thank you.
Old 12-26-17, 03:10 PM
no rules

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moots S&S Coupler 55cm in Tours France

Moots Ti Touring set-up. Mavic a-719. Chris King hubs, headset, and bottom bracket. Dura-Ace 50/34 crank with Sram force and Sram XX long derailleur / 11-36 cassette can handle anything that comes it's way. Nothing like a Ti bike.
Attached Images
moots tours france.jpg (161.3 KB, 1168 views)
Old 12-27-17, 04:19 PM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
Backpack covers over the front panniers mostly to keep them clean. With the old side-stand and Salsa Bags in the front of the trailer.
Now thats a big rig! Whats kept in the big thermos on the trailer hitch?
Old 12-27-17, 08:03 PM
linus
Crawler

Looks like you are ready for the trip to the moon. I guess if you have E-assist, you can carry whatever you want.

Do you know how much weight are you carrying?
Old 12-27-17, 11:19 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
Now thats a big rig! Whats kept in the big thermos on the trailer hitch?
One thing I try to do when I pick a piece of gear is to make sure that it can be used for multiple purposes. That thermos is the Stanley Mountain Vacuum Coffee System (3-in-1 Stanley Vacuum Coffee System) It is a french press and a vacuum thermos bottle. So it can be used for hot and cold, has two drinking cups and over 1/2 cup storage container built in. The best thing is that vacuum bottles can't be used for cooking over a flame but this system lets you cook in the exterior cup that has a built-in handle. I can fill it with hot coffee in the morning, ride all day and stop anywhere I want to cook another batch using any cook stove. I use my Jetboil mini-mo (https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/...cooking-system). It fits all my requirements when I buy gear. One drawback... The holder I use is made for growler bottles and allows just enough vibration to drive me crazy. Not much really, but enough. Also the builtin handle rattles due to design. I found that I could rotate the thermos until the handle straddles the cage and stop that noise and a releasable zip-tie keeps the bottle from vibrating. Oh, I almost forgot the 10 lb. Fugoo XL blue-tooth speaker, the hurricane umbrella, inflatable camp chair, solar oven....
Attached Images
dsc01390-4.jpg (289.2 KB, 1131 views)

Last edited by BBassett; 12-27-17 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-27-17, 11:46 PM
BBassett

Looks like you are ready for the trip to the moon. I guess if you have E-assist, you can carry whatever you want.

Do you know how much weight are you carrying?
That was the whole idea. I don't want to forgo comfort. I like comfort, and I like to have lots of options on where I can stay too... like, hammock, bivy, pop-up enclosed tent, etc. I started calling it RidingLarge. When you talk about weight it starts to add up fast. The bike is hovering at 50 lbs. stripped clean. BaFang 750w motor is around 6 or 7 lbs. 50v/30ah li-ion battery X 2, about 14 lbs. each. The front rack weighs a couple pounds. So that is 70 lbs. with one battery and she is ridable. Bar-bag few pounds with about 10 lbs. of gear inside. I have set up each pannier to hold approximately 20 lbs, each X 4. The trailer weighs about 13 lbs. itself and will carry almost 90 more lbs. of gear. She is heavy when fully loaded. HEAVY. But like you said... with e-assist it makes it do-able. A couple of silicone wine glasses, some dry cheese and *******, and a beautiful original wine skin makes it all comfortable.
Old 12-31-17, 08:39 AM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I have put heavy grease, anti sieze auto stuff, super thick, and I find it rather effective. In hindsight if I had known about the beeswax thing earlier I would have tried it-- The greases main down side is that it is messy, beeswax would be cleaner. I have since then bought some blue loctite but haven't used it on racks yet.
Although I have done my share of experimenting, when it comes to things that would strand me, make me push a broken bike home or make my rife scope come loose 100 miles up in the mountains, I use blue Lock-Tite and have for many, many years. I also firmly belief in use of a torgue wrench after cleaning the holes with a bottoming tap and the bolts with a die or at least a stainless steel brush. FWIW and hope it helps the think through. /K
Old 01-03-18, 03:36 PM
linus
Crawler

That was the whole idea. I don't want to forgo comfort. I like comfort, and I like to have lots of options on where I can stay too... like, hammock, bivy, pop-up enclosed tent, etc. I started calling it RidingLarge. When you talk about weight it starts to add up fast. The bike is hovering at 50 lbs. stripped clean. BaFang 750w motor is around 6 or 7 lbs. 50v/30ah li-ion battery X 2, about 14 lbs. each. The front rack weighs a couple pounds. So that is 70 lbs. with one battery and she is ridable. Bar-bag few pounds with about 10 lbs. of gear inside. I have set up each pannier to hold approximately 20 lbs, each X 4. The trailer weighs about 13 lbs. itself and will carry almost 90 more lbs. of gear. She is heavy when fully loaded. HEAVY. But like you said... with e-assist it makes it do-able. A couple of silicone wine glasses, some dry cheese and *******, and a beautiful original wine skin makes it all comfortable.

I don't use E-assist, but seems like weight and E-assist cancel each other out. Great to know that E-assist can be used on a touring bike. I'm more old school punish my way through type though.
Old 01-03-18, 04:49 PM
BBassett

I don't use E-assist, but seems like weight and E-assist cancel each other out. Great to know that E-assist can be used on a touring bike. I'm more old school punish my way through type though.
Weight and E-Assist do cancel each other if there isn't enough torque in the deal. That why hub motors are less desirable to most riders.

Look into mid-drive or center-drive motors.... that is pretty much what all bike manufacturers are building now. You can get an add-on and not have to deal with all the limits that are built into manufactured ebikes. Any torque you add is sent to the bike chain and into the rear wheel. Just like God meant it to be. Termanology is tough because the Europeans screwed it up years ago. They understood that a pedal bike that used an electric motor to assist the pedal power was not a motorcycle or moped but for some dumbass reason coined the term Pedelec, rather than just saying pedal assist. The American Federal Government apparently thought it was a silly word too, they decided on the term "low-speed electric bicycle" and declared that an LSEB is to be treated as a standard bike. Not sure how Canada classes them, but have talked with lots of RCMP that could not care less one way or another. Except to borrow mine and leave me waiting, without music, for 10 mins. as he rode home to show his wife.

"I'm more old school punish my way through type though." You don't have to use any power at all if you are feeling froggy (or more likely you have run the batteries down), that's the whole point of the LSEB classification.

Check out Californias more recent ebike policy - (California governor signs law modernizing electric bike regulations | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News)

Watch out for Bears dude. I was told recently they aren't funny.
Attached Images
File Type: png
OmlrsxJMQBuVQLhk6gUoLg.png (453.7 KB, 1016 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.