Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Need help choosing a bike size, new member.

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 01:28 AM
Lambchops_SA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone i'm joining this forum in pursuit of finding a bike to fit my frame. I'm 6'5" 235 lbs. Yeah, pretty big. Recently i had gotten into biking. I live in San Antonio, Texas and we have many bicycle friendly areas. I started riding often, and my first week i had rode 70+ miles on my old Schwinn mountain bike, which is probably over 8+ years old, and needless to say didn't fit me well. Well it ended up breaking. Don't know how and i don't care anymore. I was riding and i switched gears and the rear derailleur broke.

Long story short, i am looking for a new bike. I would like a bike with gears, and i'm leaning towards a road bike. I never ride on trails, and i don't like the idea of having a fixed gear. Plus the terrain i ride is VERY hilly, so gears are a must. I like to ride the San Antonio Mission Trail, about 20 miles. It's all paved. I don't know much, if anything about bikes, so that's why i'm here. I've been looking at this Elektra bike. Tell me what you guys think. Perfect size, or too small?

https://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/ver...24d-bikes-mens

Is this a good bike for me? It's just a shy under $700 from what i've read. Is this too much, or am I paying for the Elektra name? If so could anyone recommend a better bike for a cheaper price?

Thank you and i hope you guys can help out
Old 06-24-13, 03:42 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
We can't help out, not much anyway.

Obviously, at 6'5" you're going to want the biggest frame size most manufacturers offer. After that you need to sit on it and look at what needs adjusting to make it fit. Whether that bike is right for you depends entirely on the sort of riding you want to do, how much you like it, whether you feel comfortable on it and so on. None of those are things we can tell you.
Old 06-24-13, 04:56 AM
Lambchops_SA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you recommend any road bikes with large frames that are good and low cost?
Old 06-24-13, 09:46 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
There's an REI on the NW side of San Antonio that would be a good place to get some advice, and potentially try out a few bikes. There are surely a variety of good bike shops in the area that would be worth visiting. When you have some options to consider, come back here for more specific advice and opinions.

The Elektra bike you linked is definitely in the upright/hybrid range of road bikes. Have you considered a bike with drop bars? It may seem less comfortable on the first ride or two, but if you are routinely going to be riding over 20 miles, the variations in position possible with drop bars will be a real advantage, not to mention the benefit when riding into wind.
Old 06-24-13, 03:19 PM
Lambchops_SA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the advice. What is an REI? I actually have two LBS within waking distance so I think I'll go and check them out. And yesi wouldn't mind a bike with drop bars. If you could recommend some good ones to check out that would be great
Old 06-24-13, 03:51 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lambchops_SA
Could you recommend any road bikes with large frames that are good and low cost?
Honestly, the brand isn't an issue. All the mainstream brands - Trek, Giant and so on - offer similar quality and specifications at similar price points. So it comes down to what is available and what suits you best.

I suggest you google for bike shops in San Antonio - there'll be plenty. Then go along to a couple and ask their advice, look at what they have, maybe test ride a few. A decent shop will talk to you about the options and advise you about fit, etc.; if they don't, go elsewhere.
Old 06-24-13, 08:24 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You already have answers; now you must inquire, Grasshopper.
Old 06-26-13, 08:59 PM
Lambchops_SA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found out a local bike shop has both the Elektra 21D and 24D in stock, and in the large frame. Will check them out tomorrow. But... another question. I've heard people call this model of bike a hybrid and not a road bike. What is the reason for this? Are there any advantages and disadvantages?
Old 06-26-13, 09:03 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hybrids are more about comfort than speed. Tires will be a bit wider, bars different, your riding position more upright. They'll also be heavier.
Old 06-26-13, 09:16 PM
Lambchops_SA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, thank you very much. I personally like the handle bars on hybrids. To be hunched over at my height on a true road bike would be hard to get used to.
Old 06-27-13, 04:08 PM
Dfrost 

Thank you for the advice. What is an REI? ...
REI = Recreation Equipment Incorporated

Here's the link to the bikes they sell, all available online (shipped for free to a store), many available in their retail outlets.

https://www.rei.com/category/4500003_Bicycles

They started in the late 40's as coop for outdoor equipment in Seattle and still are, basically, now located in lots of cities across the US. $15 for a lifetime membership, which is not required, but members receive a 10% dividend on purchases every year, and if the dividend is used when they say for a purchase, will result in a 20% savings on any one item. I just bought a new suitcase with my dividend + discount and got it for about $170 off the list price. Their return policy is amazing and the employees tend to be more knowledgable. My membership was the best $15 I ever spent, about 30 years ago.
Old 06-27-13, 04:32 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Hmm, thank you very much. I personally like the handle bars on hybrids. To be hunched over at my height on a true road bike would be hard to get used to.
Handlebars have nothing to do with riding position. It is rather geometry. As others have said, beware the bike with too much of an upright riding position. Those bikes seem comfortable, but they are slow, heavy, and if you ride more than 5 miles or do hills, you will wish you bought a different bike, either a more performance oriented hybrid, or a road bike. I would say at your height, it is even more of an issue, as your 6'5" frame will be like a giant sail when riding into a headwind on that Electra.
Old 06-27-13, 10:40 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Handlebars have nothing to do with riding position. It is rather geometry. As others have said, beware the bike with too much of an upright riding position. Those bikes seem comfortable, but they are slow, heavy, and if you ride more than 5 miles or do hills, you will wish you bought a different bike, either a more performance oriented hybrid, or a road bike. I would say at your height, it is even more of an issue, as your 6'5" frame will be like a giant sail when riding into a headwind on that Electra.
Really? Who told you that? (HINT: they lied.)

ANOTHER HINT: Don't assume that everyone wants to ride the way you do. I do ALL my riding on a full-suss MTB...because I want to. Slower than a roadie? Sure. Do I have more fun? I think so. YMMV.

If pedaling hard and going fast on the lightest, most aero bike you can get is what trips your trigger, go for it; I personally feel like I cheat myself if my rides are shortened (as my commutes would be by riding faster). I don't use Strava, I don't record my miles, I don't try for PR's anymore; I ride FOR joy, and I ride at the SPEED of joy.
Old 06-28-13, 02:37 AM
Lambchops_SA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's put it this way. I'm comfortable riding my Schwinn mtb with the seat a few inches above the handlebars and leaning over. Is this about the same position as on a road bike? And would a hybrid likely weigh more than my old MTB? I certainly wouldn't want something heavy when going up steep hills.
Old 06-28-13, 05:54 AM
MRT2

Let's put it this way. I'm comfortable riding my Schwinn mtb with the seat a few inches above the handlebars and leaning over. Is this about the same position as on a road bike? And would a hybrid likely weigh more than my old MTB? I certainly wouldn't want something heavy when going up steep hills.
If you can handle a riding position with the seat above the handlebars, you can handle the riding position of a relaxed geometry road bike or a roade oriented hybrid. My bike has drop bars, and the handlebars are about the same height as the saddle. Not aero like the pros, but not sitting bolt upright either.

Last edited by MRT2; 06-28-13 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 06:27 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Really? Who told you that? (HINT: they lied.)

ANOTHER HINT: Don't assume that everyone wants to ride the way you do. I do ALL my riding on a full-suss MTB...because I want to. Slower than a roadie? Sure. Do I have more fun? I think so. YMMV.

If pedaling hard and going fast on the lightest, most aero bike you can get is what trips your trigger, go for it; I personally feel like I cheat myself if my rides are shortened (as my commutes would be by riding faster). I don't use Strava, I don't record my miles, I don't try for PR's anymore; I ride FOR joy, and I ride at the SPEED of joy.
Take it easy there. First of all, if you knew me, you would know I am hardly a speed demon. I am not making assumptions about what what others want. Rather, OP said he rode 70 miles in a week, which suggests OP is up for putting on some miles. "Comfort" style bikes aren't well suited for that style of riding, especially for someone 6'5".

Finally, I stand behind my comment about handlebars. Flat bars can be found on everything from a cruiser to a hybrid to a mountain bike, to flat bar road bike, and drop bars can be found on everything from a racing bike to a touring bike and everything in between.
Old 06-28-13, 10:44 AM
Dfrost 

The other great advantage of drop bars is the variety of hand positions that are available compared to a straight (or similar) bar. Being able to move your hands to different pressure points is a wonderful relief, even on shorter rides.

Yes, most hybrids would probably weigh as much or more than your mountain bike.
Old 06-28-13, 02:44 PM
Lambchops_SA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you guys think of the 700c Schwinn Varsity road bike? From the reviews I've seen on Walmart, people seem to like it. plus it's priced in the $250 range. Half the price of the Elektra. Any advice? It has drop bars too.
Old 06-28-13, 04:09 PM
Lambchops_SA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you guys think of the 700c Schwinn Varsity road bike? From the reviews I've seen on Walmart, people seem to like it. plus it's priced in the $250 range. Half the price of the Elektra. Any advice? It has drop bars too.
Old 06-28-13, 09:52 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Take it easy there. First of all, if you knew me, you would know I am hardly a speed demon. I am not making assumptions about what what others want. Rather, OP said he rode 70 miles in a week, which suggests OP is up for putting on some miles. "Comfort" style bikes aren't well suited for that style of riding, especially for someone 6'5".

Finally, I stand behind my comment about handlebars. Flat bars can be found on everything from a cruiser to a hybrid to a mountain bike, to flat bar road bike, and drop bars can be found on everything from a racing bike to a touring bike and everything in between.
Why do I need to "take it easy"? I wasn't "rough" to start with. And you can stand by your comment all you want, it's still wrong.

Handlebars have nothing to do with riding position.

Drop bars will put you in a different position from flat bars, since they have an average of 80mm extra reach; risers will lift you up, PULLBACK (cruiser-style) bars will sit you almost upright -- all from the same stem position.

And a "comfort" bike could WELL be used for 70+ miles/week, as can a full-suspension mountain bike -- THIS I know, since I DO IT. (MTB, that is....) And I really wish that a lot of folks would get past this idea that you NEED a certain type of bike 'for efficiency' for different types of riding. Aside from the demands of MTB, which most road bikes wouldn't survive, it's really the wonderful thing about bikes, you can make almost anything work, and enjoy it while you do so. The 'efficiency' train of thought smacks of motorist thinking, like some bike commuters who always take the shortest, straightest route to/from.

The CORE lesson we should ALL get is the very same one I will employ to tell you why your 'efficiency' point of view is flawed:

THE FIRST AND BEST PURPOSE TO RIDING A BIKE IS FOR JOY AND ENHANCEMENT OF LIFE.
Old 06-29-13, 05:31 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Why do I need to "take it easy"? I wasn't "rough" to start with. And you can stand by your comment all you want, it's still wrong.

Handlebars have nothing to do with riding position.

Drop bars will put you in a different position from flat bars, since they have an average of 80mm extra reach; risers will lift you up, PULLBACK (cruiser-style) bars will sit you almost upright -- all from the same stem position.

And a "comfort" bike could WELL be used for 70+ miles/week, as can a full-suspension mountain bike -- THIS I know, since I DO IT. (MTB, that is....) And I really wish that a lot of folks would get past this idea that you NEED a certain type of bike 'for efficiency' for different types of riding. Aside from the demands of MTB, which most road bikes wouldn't survive, it's really the wonderful thing about bikes, you can make almost anything work, and enjoy it while you do so. The 'efficiency' train of thought smacks of motorist thinking, like some bike commuters who always take the shortest, straightest route to/from.

The CORE lesson we should ALL get is the very same one I will employ to tell you why your 'efficiency' point of view is flawed:

THE FIRST AND BEST PURPOSE TO RIDING A BIKE IS FOR JOY AND ENHANCEMENT OF LIFE.
You can get by on almost anything. My son rides an old mountain bike on the road. It isn't optimal for the sort of riding we do as a family, but he likes it, and frankly, he could grow 6 inches in another year or two, so he gets by with what he has. But OP is looking to buy a new bike, and, he said, he is leaning towards a road bike.

Look, I am sure there are people who run marathons in hiking boots, but no sane person on a running forum wold suggest hiking boots for a person looking to start running, and by analogy, I wouldn't recommend a comfort hybrid for someone looking to buy a road bike.
Old 06-29-13, 05:40 AM
MRT2

No. Stay away from department store junk. Heavy, and more important, poor quality. Wal Mart is as bad as it gets when it comes to bikes. Probably doesn't even fit you as they usually sell only 1 or 2 sizes, and bikes are not one size fits all, especially at your height. If you are strapped for cash, you are better off trying to find something used, rather than spend it on a Wal Mart bike.

Search these forums and you will find plenty of "what bike to get" types of discussions.
Old 06-29-13, 07:12 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
In both sizing and fitting, it's important to start with your cycling inseam. I wrote the following to help another member measure his and so far, decent results:

"I'd like to still suggest you measure your inseam, but we haven't told you how to do it. Generally the method is as follows:

1. Collect the stuff you will need: an assistant, a tape measure or yardstick that reads in millimeters or in sixteenths of an inch (yes, it needs to be precise!), and a large book 1" thick or a small stack of vinyl record albums.

2. stand barefoot on a hard floor with your back against a wall.
3. take a large book about 1" thick and pull it up into your crotch as hard as you can. It needs to stay square against the wall.
4. While you are pulling the book up hard, have your assistant measure the vertical distance from the top of the book to the floor.
5. Read the ruler carefully and write down the number.
6. Repeat two more times. The correct number is the largest of the three.

This is your cycling inseam, or pubic bone height. It's the actual length of your leg from where your pelvis puts weight on the saddle to the bottom of your heel bone. You can see this number is different from trouser inseam and from the hip bone height. You can use this to find a starting point for saddle height. We've been talking a lot about frame sizing, but this is the start of bicycle fitting.

Multiply your cycling inseam by 0.883 to "Greg LeMond" height. Write it down. That number should be the distance from the center of the bottom bracket, or crank spindle, to the top of the saddle measuring along the seat tube. For a lot of people this is the correct saddle height, and it's a good starting point for just about anyone, since it's reproducible. There's a minor variation due to crank length, but let's just handle that later.

This saddle setting should be safe for your knees, give you decent power and spin capability, and let you start fine-tunign your lean from a solid basis. The saddle height is the most important thing, since it affects your knee health."

See if you can do this, then we can start giving you some really solid assistance. At your height, a "big frame" might not do the trick.
Old 06-29-13, 10:47 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Now, Go forth boldly to actual Bike Shops and Test ride Bikes.

want Electra Brand ? you have to find the Dealer with an Account with the Electra Distributing importer .

Here that is a shop in another town..

But seeing it is a Hybrid, most brands will have something like that bike Type, in their lineup..

dealer can swap parts at point-of-sale.. if you feel a need for something else.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-29-13 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-01-13, 02:31 AM
Lambchops_SA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright so I did this and my inseam is 36". Does this help in choosing a frame size?

Originally Posted by Road Fan
In both sizing and fitting, it's important to start with your cycling inseam. I wrote the following to help another member measure his and so far, decent results:

"I'd like to still suggest you measure your inseam, but we haven't told you how to do it. Generally the method is as follows:

1. Collect the stuff you will need: an assistant, a tape measure or yardstick that reads in millimeters or in sixteenths of an inch (yes, it needs to be precise!), and a large book 1" thick or a small stack of vinyl record albums.

2. stand barefoot on a hard floor with your back against a wall.
3. take a large book about 1" thick and pull it up into your crotch as hard as you can. It needs to stay square against the wall.
4. While you are pulling the book up hard, have your assistant measure the vertical distance from the top of the book to the floor.
5. Read the ruler carefully and write down the number.
6. Repeat two more times. The correct number is the largest of the three.

This is your cycling inseam, or pubic bone height. It's the actual length of your leg from where your pelvis puts weight on the saddle to the bottom of your heel bone. You can see this number is different from trouser inseam and from the hip bone height. You can use this to find a starting point for saddle height. We've been talking a lot about frame sizing, but this is the start of bicycle fitting.

Multiply your cycling inseam by 0.883 to "Greg LeMond" height. Write it down. That number should be the distance from the center of the bottom bracket, or crank spindle, to the top of the saddle measuring along the seat tube. For a lot of people this is the correct saddle height, and it's a good starting point for just about anyone, since it's reproducible. There's a minor variation due to crank length, but let's just handle that later.

This saddle setting should be safe for your knees, give you decent power and spin capability, and let you start fine-tunign your lean from a solid basis. The saddle height is the most important thing, since it affects your knee health."

See if you can do this, then we can start giving you some really solid assistance. At your height, a "big frame" might not do the trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.