Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Weather has stopped my commute,..er, cold!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 07:25 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts

I had a great ride last Sunday morning just before the crappy weather stuff hit. The past two days it's been snow, slush, more snow, cold, and worst of all, wind. The wind this morning was reported to be 40km/h with gusts of up to 70km/h. Many of the secondary and residential streets on which I normally take to work are still snow/ice covered. I've never hated the Canadian winter more than I do now. This sucks! I am ordering spiked tires, and thinking about some winter riding shoes as I write this.

I guess I am fortunate that I do have the option to drive, but I am not happy about it. I need a pep talk from my brethren to get me back on the path.
Old 11-18-14, 07:32 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Well, I'm shamed too. I just didn't get my gear together in time (shabby excuse).

There will be more cold days this winter to redeem myself, or if not, well, that's OK too.
Old 11-18-14, 08:00 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Winter can be beautiful to ride in once you get the right mind set and the right gear (winter tires, lighting, clothes, etc.). The key is don't give yourself a choice and have some fun. My dogs have fun in the snow, :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WinterHome2.jpg (104.6 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by bikemig; 11-18-14 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-18-14, 08:58 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I had a great ride last Sunday morning just before the crappy weather stuff hit. The past two days it's been snow, slush, more snow, cold, and worst of all, wind. The wind this morning was reported to be 40km/h with gusts of up to 70km/h. Many of the secondary and residential streets on which I normally take to work are still snow/ice covered. I've never hated the Canadian winter more than I do now. This sucks! I am ordering spiked tires, and thinking about some winter riding shoes as I write this.

I guess I am fortunate that I do have the option to drive, but I am not happy about it. I need a pep talk from my brethren to get me back on the path.
I am in somewhat of the same boat (iceboat?) as you, unprepared for the winter although it is my bike that is not prepared, not me. I was expecting November to be an extension of October but, it has turned into a full-blown winter month with snow, ice and cold. Cold I can deal with, I have the gear, but not the snow and ice. My winter bike was waiting for me to finish during the month of November so I got caught unprepared.

I look at winter riding as giving the finger to Jack Frost because every day you cycle on a winter day, you feel more invigorated than doing the same at any other time of year. Get your clothes and bike setup for winter and you'll love it. You may need to take different routes as I do (I'm not riding on the highway during the winter) but you'll enjoy it anyway.
Old 11-18-14, 09:34 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I have a tendency to procrastinate and the early onset of winter caught me by surprise too. I was able to get the winter bike together in time for last Monday's storm but there were still things left undone and I had really wanted to ride it a couple of weeks sans studs because it is a nice bike to ride, but... oh well.

The other thing I didn't do is get the fixed gear cleaned up before I put it away for the winter so there is still work to be done.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-18-14 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-18-14, 09:35 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Look, it's just what we all secretly want -- an excuse to spend more money on cycling stuff!
Old 11-18-14, 10:55 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
what i dont like about the cold is that my battery on my light seems to run down faster.
Old 11-18-14, 11:26 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
You're preaching to the choir. I hope we don't have this same weather for the rest of the winter.
Old 11-18-14, 02:20 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
You're preaching to the choir. I hope we don't have this same weather for the rest of the winter.
Looks like it might be back to normal next week. We're having 30's for daytime highs this week, 60's this weekend, and in the 50's next week!
Old 11-18-14, 02:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
what i dont like about the cold is that my battery on my light seems to run down faster.
Dynamo lights, baby! The only thing I regret about having them is that I waited so many years before trying them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-18-14, 02:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
there's no bad weather for biking, only bad clothes. it takes a season to gear up. work the problem and you'll be laughing at old man winter
Old 11-18-14, 03:32 PM
mcours2006

I think the problem for me is that I wasn't expecting to stop so abruptly. It's like going cold turkey for me. I might try to ride to work tomorrow if the wind isn't too bad.
Old 11-18-14, 03:42 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You are not alone. The switch flipped and we went right to January. From the equipment to the clothing to the "thin blood, this lack of a transition is rattling.

Motivation is especially hard for me this year too. I need a car to break down or something so I don't have a choice.
Old 11-18-14, 03:56 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
You are not alone. The switch flipped and we went right to January. From the equipment to the clothing to the "thin blood, this lack of a transition is rattling.

Motivation is especially hard for me this year too. I need a car to break down or something so I don't have a choice.

i hear you on motivation I rode hard in october only driving 7 days but I would not wish broken car on anybody.
Old 11-18-14, 06:00 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
there's no bad weather for biking, only bad clothes. it takes a season to gear up. work the problem and you'll be laughing at old man winter
This is the answer. Plus get everything together the night before. It's all attitude and gear. Wake up with no decisions to make and you will succeed.
Old 11-18-14, 07:23 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by takenreasy
This is the answer. Plus get everything together the night before. It's all attitude and gear. Wake up with no decisions to make and you will succeed.
I'd agree with most of this. I wake up at 4:30 to run 11 miles and make it back home by 6:30 to get ready for work. However, the one thing that gives me the nerves is running into ice patches during this cold spell. I do not have spikes on my tires. I am on the cusp of ordering them from CRC, but now I'm not so sure I want them as 99% of the commute is going to be on wet snow/rain/dry conditions. Yeah, I know, it's that 1% that I need to insure against.
Old 11-18-14, 07:41 PM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by takenreasy
It's really easy. Cup or two of coffee in the morning, warm furnace. Dress for the occasian. Newspaper. Television to watch car commuters and watch what you are missing out on. Take Mother Nature for a dance.
Old 11-18-14, 07:45 PM
Motolegs

Bikes: General 80's MTB "Icebreaker", Motobecane Grand Jubilee (vintage mint), Trek 1.1, 2014 Motobecane Mirage (steel) Trek 3500 MTB

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd agree with most of this. I wake up at 4:30 to run 11 miles and make it back home by 6:30 to get ready for work. However, the one thing that gives me the nerves is running into ice patches during this cold spell. I do not have spikes on my tires. I am on the cusp of ordering them from CRC, but now I'm not so sure I want them as 99% of the commute is going to be on wet snow/rain/dry conditions. Yeah, I know, it's that 1% that I need to insure against.
"Spikes" on bike tires are really not a big deal. You can measure them with a micrometer if you want.

The tires themselves are a fair bit cheaper than golf or basketball shoes, and FAR more practical.
Old 11-19-14, 01:43 PM
mcours2006

UPDATE:
So I did ride to work today. My OCD self had me do the same route I did with we had fair weather which added to the total time on the road. Temperature was -10 this morning, -18 with the wind.

Ride was fine, but toes were cold, and excruciatingly painful when thawing out in the shower. Three minutes of agony. Other body part that needs attention is the uncovered portion of my face.

The pavement was dry, save for a couple of small ice patches which I saw from far away, so managed to avoid them.

Pace was much slower--a good 15 minutes for a ride that normally takes between 80-85 minutes.

I am encouraged by this commute. Again, I am pushing my own limits here. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, including my wife, who suggested that this should be my last ride until spring. I doubt it will be.

Getting ready to head home. The snow is coming down, pretty heavily too. Again, this will be a first.
Old 11-19-14, 03:21 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Getting ready to head home. The snow is coming down, pretty heavily too. Again, this will be a first.
sounds awesome, check in when you get home. you obviously need to cover your face and use chemical toe warmers
Old 11-19-14, 03:48 PM
Todzilla

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It will be hard for this North Carolinian to elicit sympathy from y'all (Southern second person plural), but I'm going to try to commute tomorrow. Morning temps upper 20s F. In the winter I want to commute at least once a week. Starting March, every day.
Old 11-19-14, 04:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
UPDATE:
So I did ride to work today. My OCD self had me do the same route I did with we had fair weather which added to the total time on the road. Temperature was -10 this morning, -18 with the wind.

Ride was fine, but toes were cold, and excruciatingly painful when thawing out in the shower. Three minutes of agony. Other body part that needs attention is the uncovered portion of my face.

The pavement was dry, save for a couple of small ice patches which I saw from far away, so managed to avoid them.

Pace was much slower--a good 15 minutes for a ride that normally takes between 80-85 minutes.

I am encouraged by this commute. Again, I am pushing my own limits here. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, including my wife, who suggested that this should be my last ride until spring. I doubt it will be.

I'm in your boat. I live in Toronto too but only need to commute 4km.
I guess I've prepared more than you did. I have the Garneau H20 Extreme rain booties, a pair of old running shoes and wearing thick wool socks. Tires with heavier treads but no studs. 27in tires have been obsolete for 25years.

I haven't stopped biking to work since Bike-to-work day in May except for the few times I had to do errands or visit the dentist.

Was offered a ride home today but thanked them. I won't know how bad the condition will be if I don't try it before knowing my limit. Even re-considering riding my son's mountain bike if the accumulation by tomorrow is too high.
Old 11-19-14, 04:30 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
I'm a winter wimp. I'll ride a mile each way in just about any weather and 2 or 3 each way in most weather (down to maybe 0f depending on wind) which covers many trips (cappuccino, dinner, hardware store). Otherwise, like if it's -5f and I need to go somewhere 5 miles away, I'm in my my car.
Old 11-19-14, 04:44 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I'm in your boat. I live in Toronto too but only need to commute 4km.
I guess I've prepared more than you did. I have the Garneau H20 Extreme rain booties, a pair of old running shoes and wearing thick wool socks. Tires with heavier treads but no studs. 27in tires have been obsolete for 25years.

I haven't stopped biking to work since Bike-to-work day in May except for the few times I had to do errands or visit the dentist.

Was offered a ride home today but thanked them. I won't know how bad the condition will be if I don't try it before knowing my limit. Even re-considering riding my son's mountain bike if the accumulation by tomorrow is too high.
Four km isn't too bad. I'd get rid of one of my cars if my commute was only four km. As for the accumulation, the forecast is 5-10cm.
Old 11-19-14, 04:50 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
sounds awesome, check in when you get home. you obviously need to cover your face and use chemical toe warmers
Was thinking of going to Walmart to pick up some Hot Hands. A co-worker told me about them.

First half of ride home was okay. Road was mostly clear as the snow fall wasn't sticking around. The last half hour the road was all covered with a thin layer as the snowfall had become much heavier. My glasses were getting fogged up and snow-covered. I had to ditch them, but then it was a problem of snow flying into my face and my eyes. It was tough. What's the solution to this problem?

The tires worked okay on this kind of snow. I was cautious, taking the corners at a very low speed.

I have to say that this was quite an experience for me. I feel like I've pushed the envelop enough to continue to ride. Today's conditions were pretty extreme, by any standards, IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.